News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 20, 2017, 02:06:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Irrationally grossed-out or not?  (Read 2233 times)

Shabooty

Re: Irrationally grossed-out or not?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »
Am I the only person who doesn't know what a period cup is?? :-[

GreenBird

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »
Am I the only person who doesn't know what a period cup is?? :-[

Look up "Diva Cup" - it's one brand of cup for this purpose.  I think they've been around a long time although I had never heard of it for ages either!  Not sure why they're not more well known. 

Shabooty

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »
Thanks, Greenbird.

If I were in the OPs shoes that coffee cup would now have a new owner, that being my houseguest.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »
Thanks, Greenbird.

If I were in the OPs shoes that coffee cup would now have a new owner, that being my houseguest.

I got the impression that OP managed to stop her in time, but yeah, super gross. I'd also be super paranoid about what else she might have done (since it sounds like she would have just gone ahead had OP not been in the kitchen).

It's not at all irrational to be grossed out by that. It's irrational for me, when I'm wearing gloves and using a shovel to pick up dog poop and came in no contact with any poo to feel like my hands are dirty. I still wash them so I feel better because it's minor, but that's irrational.  Yes, the point of sterilizing is to remove any contamination. Done correctly, there shouldn't be any issues. But are you 100% confident that she could do it correctly? Is boiling water enough to sterilize the mug to be clean enough for consumibles? Do you need to sterilize the coffee mug after sterlizing the period cup? The reason that we (as humans) feel disgust is to help us avoid possible contaminants. Not mixing bodily fluids with kitchen/eating/drinking is a huge rule that goes across cultures. The specific rules/rituals might be different, but those are things that you need to be really careful if you're mixing. And there's no reason to here, so just don't do it.

I think that care for these kinds of cups is one of the biggest drawbacks to using them (I also feel like it could be awkward in a public bathroom, but perhaps there are good options I haven't thought of). If you're (general) going to use them, that's something you should be aware of and you should plan ahead for. Maybe using them while traveling isn't ideal (I was just traveling with my period and just had to discreetly wrap something in toilet paper and throw it in the trash). I'm not saying people shouldn't travel while using them, just that some thinking ahead (bringing a baggie, asking for one, bringing your own container to sterilize in, etc) is required.

denglen

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »
OP here -

Thanks for all the replies.

EllenS hit the nail on the head I think. The reason this episode lingered with me (enough to post here) was more to do with boundaries than contamination. Which is why I felt irrational, I guess.

Maybe it was the sudden/'forced' participation in an 'intimate' situation, I don't know. And indeed, if I was ASKED first, I would be fully accommodating.

She's one of my oldest/best friends, and this is no friendship-ender. She is one of those enviably secure-in-themselves people, never intends any harm, but sometimes ends up blind to other people's sensitivities.

MurPl1

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »
From your last post I would say no, you do not need to apologize.  It's actually highly appropriate that she knows you were squicked out by the whole thing.  She crossed boundaries and got a reminder.  You did nothing wrong. 

Semperviren

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 03:20:13 PM »
I'm pretty non-squeamish and no prude, but no, you just don't clean your feminine hygiene products in your host's coffee mug. You just don't. All the boiling water in the world isn't going to help them unremember that.

GardenGal

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »
If I were your friend I'd have just washed with soap and water and asked if you had a ziplock bag I could use to store it until I got home. 

She was presumptuous and rude to argue with you, especially if she's a close friend.  She should have respected your boundaries.  Period. 
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

mmswm

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 05:47:23 PM »
If I were your friend I'd have just washed with soap and water and asked if you had a ziplock bag I could use to store it until I got home. 

She was presumptuous and rude to argue with you, especially if she's a close friend.  She should have respected your boundaries.  Period.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I would have never gone into the kitchen and grabbed a cup and the tea kettle, let alone argued with my host.  Once I discovered I had a need, I would have asked for a ziplock bag to stow it away until I could get home, as a ziplock bag is the least intrusive, safe thing I could store it in until I could sanitize it properly in my own home.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 05:58:45 PM »
I'm pretty non-squeamish and no prude, but no, you just don't clean your feminine hygiene products in your host's coffee mug. You just don't. All the boiling water in the world isn't going to help them unremember that.

This sums it up for me.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

JoieGirl7

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »
There is definitely a psychological aspect to disgust.

I had to do a bowel cleanse once for surgery and was required to drink a lot of  propylene glycol over a determined period of time.  I poured it into these drinking glassed I had that I really liked and used a lot.   The stuff tasted nasty.

In the weeks following the surgery, I noticed that I was avoiding using any of those glasses.  I would even wash another glass to avoid using one of the ones I had used for the cleanse.  Eventually I just got rid of them.

TootsNYC

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 07:44:26 PM »
I was wondering about the sterilizing thing--and so I googled it.

It's not necessary to sterilize it every time (I wondered, bcs I never sterilized my diaphragm). You can just wash and dry it, using soap.

And she could totally sterilize it at home.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 08:02:12 PM »
I use a cup as well, and I just.... what the *what*?! Oh no no no!

If this were to happen to me and I needed to sanitize my cup, I would merely wash it out, use toilet tissue to wipe it, and store it in the bag it came in until i could sanitize it at home. This would all be done *discreetely* in the bathroom.

Why did she feel the need to even do that!?

metallicafan

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »
Wait,  was she wanting to sterilize her diva cup using one of your coffee mugs?? Am I reading this correctly?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 12:18:03 AM »
I use a cup and I'd have been grossed out myself. I don't even use a coffee mug for sterilizing my own cup! I have a dedicated mug I use for that and only that!

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice