Author Topic: And for dessert....  (Read 3704 times)

Gigi

And for dessert....
« on: January 10, 2007, 03:58:02 AM »
At a party one night I heard a woman regaling some other women about how clever she'd been the week before, and how happy her women friends were when she and her hubby hosted a dinner party at her home. She has a fabulous chef, and the sit-down dinner for 5 other couples was delicious and lovely as usual.

After the guests finished the main meal the hostess announced that dessert was ready in the study.  As the guests arrived in the study they found an out-of-town jewelry designer there with his goods displayed on a "buffet."  The husbands were expected to buy "dessert" for their wives and, of course, try to out-do each other with their generosity. 

Now all of these guys have megabucks and could easily afford a bauble or two, but who wants to be maneuvered that way?  I couldn't tell if all of the wives were in on the scheme or not.  One of the husbands was in hearing range of the storyteller though and the expression on his face said that he definitely did not appreciate the scam.

Interestingly enough, most of the wives who got dessert that night are no longer the wives of the gentlemen "marks".

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Re: And for dessert....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 04:50:35 AM »
Sounds tacky.  If the wives weren't in on it then it's very, very tacky, and rude.  If the wives were in on it it's still tacky.

If I went to a dinner party and was unexpectedly confronted with this I'd leave immediately.

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 12:38:23 PM »
Tacky and Rude.

I would leave immediately. There is no way I would be part of this.

Gileswench

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:49:48 PM »
Tacky? I call it vile.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 03:19:43 PM »
That's just sick...I wouldn't even allow my husband to participate. We'd leave, and get some Ben and Jerry's for dessert....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Gileswench

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »
Oooh, Ben and Jerry's and Auntie Venom...would it be too terribly rude if I invited myself along?

blue_bunny_paz

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 04:22:24 PM »
That's remarkably rude. they could have at least invited the jewellery seller in for the main course.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
Oooh, Ben and Jerry's and Auntie Venom...would it be too terribly rude if I invited myself along?

Come on and bring your fluffy pj's, if we're going to get comfy, we should get comfy!

L1NDSAY

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 05:53:06 AM »
I can't decide whether I think it is more weird or tacky - probably a bit of both.

I know I feel awkward and embarrassed when those rose-sellers come round restaurants pressuring Boyf to buy a 5 single stem - I can't imagine how I'd feel if my friends thought we should buy jewellery during a meal!

I think we all know the rules for Selling Parties - No surprises and No pressure. This dinner party breaks both rules spectacularly.

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 09:54:22 AM »
Tricking people into buying expensive stuff they may not want or afford.... what a lovely, clever hostess. Can't wait for her Christmas party! ::)
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 01:27:19 AM »
<<<Interestingly enough, most of the wives who got dessert that night are no longer the wives of the gentlemen "marks".>>>

Hard to believe!  (Not)  Did they at least keep the jewelry?  *evil Diva off*

I wanna go to Ben and Jerry's with Auntie and Guileswench  too!  Waaaaah!  Waaaahhhh!

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
More the merrier! We can keep it cold in your snow, so bring snow!

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 01:50:05 PM »
I got some snow last night too!  Woo hoo!  We're all set!

Adah

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 03:20:01 PM »
Wow. That's stunning. I would have expected someone to say, "Thanks but no thanks. I'm stuffed."

Rach

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 09:37:33 AM »
Wow. That's stunning. I would have expected someone to say, "Thanks but no thanks. I'm stuffed."

Or maybe 'I'm  allergic' or 'it conflicts with my beliefs'