News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 08:32:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Local Food Combinations  (Read 9081 times)

lowspark

Re: Local Food Combinations
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
My MIL and SIL eat that all the time, I had no idea it was actually a thing.  They just call it chili spaghetti and dump a can of chili on spaghetti noodles.  I haven't tried it yet.  Sounds a little odd, but I can see it being ok.

It's not that kind of chili. That's why I say it is a different dish with a similar name.
It's nothing at all like canned chili, Wolf brand for example. Canned chili, at least around here is (I'll call it) Texas-style chili.

Cincinnati Chili is made with ground beef but it contains totally different spices, cinnamon, for example, and isn't hot in terms of being spicy like Texas chili is.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

o_gal

« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »
My MIL and SIL eat that all the time, I had no idea it was actually a thing.  They just call it chili spaghetti and dump a can of chili on spaghetti noodles.  I haven't tried it yet.  Sounds a little odd, but I can see it being ok.

It's not that kind of chili. That's why I say it is a different dish with a similar name.
It's nothing at all like canned chili, Wolf brand for example. Canned chili, at least around here is (I'll call it) Texas-style chili.

Cincinnati Chili is made with ground beef but it contains totally different spices, cinnamon, for example, and isn't hot in terms of being spicy like Texas chili is.

The spices are more of a Mediterranean blend, since the family that started it immigrated from Macedonia. Different chains (Skyline, Gold Star, Empress, Dixie, and tons of others) use different spice mixes, so you're getting a combination of one of more of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, chocolate, and bay leaves. It also uses traditional chili spices like chili powder and cumin.

My preferred Cincinnati Chili delivery device is Skyline's Chili Deluxe Burrito - Chili (either with or without beans) served in a large tortilla and topped with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and dollop of sour cream. Yummmmm!

MyFamily

« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »
Rice with a fried egg and soy sauce is the finest meal you can ever eat ;D

I'd agree with you, but the yolk still has to be runny.

Please explain this dish - you take rice, put a fried egg (sunny side up?) on top, and then pour soy sauce over all of it?  Because that combines 3 of my youngest daughter's 3 foods and her birthday is this week and this may be what she will be served for breakfast that day.
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

cicero

« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2017, 06:16:35 AM »

Please explain this dish - you take rice, put a fried egg (sunny side up?) on top, and then pour soy sauce over all of it?  Because that combines 3 of my youngest daughter's 3 foods and her birthday is this week and this may be what she will be served for breakfast that day.
I don't know what those guys mean, but this recipe is awesome

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hmmmmm

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2017, 07:01:29 AM »

We love eggs over rice. It's one of our favorite camping breakfast. We always make more rice the night before and in the morning, reheat it in a skillet with some flavored oil (keeps us from having to mince up shallots and garlic), make the eggs and serve with soy sauce and most recently a little of the Gochujang sauce.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2017, 08:09:13 AM »

We love eggs over rice. It's one of our favorite camping breakfast. We always make more rice the night before and in the morning, reheat it in a skillet with some flavored oil (keeps us from having to mince up shallots and garlic), make the eggs and serve with soy sauce and most recently a little of the Gochujang sauce.

Basically, egg fried rice. Sounds tasty.

rose red

« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2017, 08:14:19 AM »

In my original post, I'm talking about a bowl/plate of plain old white rice with a fried egg (I like it over medium or hard) on top of the rice and soy sauce (amounts very depending on your taste). No other spices or ingredients for me ;D

Nikko-chan

« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »

In my original post, I'm talking about a bowl/plate of plain old white rice with a fried egg (I like it over medium or hard) on top of the rice and soy sauce (amounts very depending on your taste). No other spices or ingredients for me ;D

see i thought you meant this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/tamago-kake-gohan-egg-rice-tkg-recipe-breakfast.html

Mikayla

« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2017, 03:07:23 PM »
Fun read.   As a kid, my fave after school snack was peanut butter and mayo on rye bread.  It was also my go-to cafeteria option at college when they served mystery meat for dinner.   I don't know if this is a Chicago thing or what, but I had friends who ate the same thing.   But I've only found one person since then. 

The other item is making a simple salad of iceberg lettuce and bleu cheese dressing.  Place this on top of top of chili or spaghetti.  I got this idea from my first job as a waitress, and the older ladies all did this on breaks.  It looks quite disturbing, but it works!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2017, 10:40:36 AM »
This tends to horrify most Texans and chili purists, but here goes!

Cincinnati Chili -

3-way:

Spaghetti, chili, cheddar cheese

4-way:

Spaghetti, chili, cheese and diced onion OR kidney beans

5-way:

Spaghetti, chili, cheese, diced onion, kidney beans

It tends to invoke strong opinions from non-natives, either way.  Most seem to either love it or hate it. I don't know that I've ever encountered someone who tasted it and said "It's ok."

It's a lonely world down here in FL without it, although some Publix stores carry it now.  There's actually a Skyline Chili parlor in St. Pete, which is just under 2 hours from me. I've been known to drive there just for that.  :'(

www.skylinechili.com

I like Cincinnati chili but don't love it. My favorite local chili place does it along with a Texas chili and one they call Terlingua Red, which I do love. I usually get that in a bowl (no beans) with cornbread on the side and parmesan cheese and diced tomatoes, but sometimes I do a bowl of three-way or their Frito pie.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2017, 03:11:31 PM »
A new favorite. Pickled Vidalia onions, with homemade pimiento cheese, and buttermilk crackers.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien