News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 03:23:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Solve the puzzle, win a drink"  (Read 2777 times)

TeamBhakta

"Solve the puzzle, win a drink"
« on: August 01, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
At the wedding below, the bride & groom had puzzles for guests to solve. Only guests who solved all the puzzles & figured out the password would receive a special cocktail from the bartender (it appears from the pictures this was not the only drink available). Would it be rude if one guest figured out the password & quietly let other guests know what it was ?

http://offbeatbride.com/escape-room-game-wedding/

gellchom

Re: "Solve the puzzle, win a drink"
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 03:59:38 PM »
I do think it would be rude.  I can see people who aren't into such things thinking it's not such a fun gimmick.  But that's what the hosts arranged, so I think it would be rude and obnoxious to be a killjoy and tell others the password -- like finding and sharing the answer key if they did a quiz bowl or something.  It's not like they won't get anything to drink otherwise, just not that cocktail. 

If you want Grandma to get the special drink, then use your password to get one for her, too, or just explain to the bartender.  I doubt they'd be big sticklers about it -- it's just a party game.

Bert

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
Yes, that would be rude.  Its like a prize to a game.  If the game fizzled a little and then the password got out there, it wouldn't be the end of the world obviously, but I think this is a neat idea.  The trick to this is making sure the cocktail a specialty thing, which it seems it was in this case.  They can't use, say, a margarita, or vodka cranberry, or rum and coke.   

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 05:14:08 PM »
That would be a real party-pooper move. If someone didn't want to play the game, and the special cocktail was so amazing they couldn't stand not to have one, I'm sure they could wheedle it out of the bartender after the game was over.

It's obvious from the pictures that the guests knew what they were getting into and it was a very, very casual affair. So if a guest didn't want to play along they should have stayed home.

It would also be pretty obvious that someone had done it. I just can't understand the motivation - to "get the better" of your hosts in some way? How petty and obnoxious. I'd be pretty hurt if I invited someone to my wedding and found out they were trying to spoil the games on purpose.

It's like sticking your fingers in the icing on the wedding cake. Yeah, rude.

Sakuko

• The black Kitten
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 01:28:33 AM »
I'd be very annoyed if someone told me the password, if I still wanted to do the game. I love those puzzles.

But quietly and discreetly slipping the password to one or two friends I know hate puzzles and wouldn't try it in any case, yes, I can see me doing that.

Luci

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 04:39:25 AM »
Wedding guests include such a wide range of people that I don't think there can be an activity that everyone enjoys. All age groups and so many different interests are there. For example, one SIL doesn't like puzzles, I enjoy them on my own time when I won't get distracted, and nephew gets obnoxiously competitive. After a short time when any who wanted to play had time to solve the puzzle and no one would get mad about "spoilers," slipping the password out would be perfectly fine. I would be more likely to not bother because I don't like mixed drinks anyway and would rather concentrate on other things. People would drift into teams, so it might be fun in that way for some.

It might work better in a more homogeneous group for a different type of gathering.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 06:39:06 AM »
I believe that the puzzles and games were probably provided to entertain the guests or give them something to do, not limit the special cocktail. So I wouldn't have a problem with someone providing the password to someone who didn't want to do the puzzles but wanted the drink. As long as they weren't obnoxious about it...

gellchom

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
I do understand the reasoning, but I still think it's a little bit like rearranging the place cards or something.

Whether or not it was a good idea, that's with the hosts planned and what they asked you to cooperate with, and no matter what makes more sense, it's arrogant and a little rude to substitute your judgment and undermine it, especially for something so incredibly unimportant (is this a magic cocktail that confers upon the drinker the ability to fly? :)).  It's not like switching a seat so that a wheelchair has room to fit or something.

Even if the inability to get that one particular cocktail could be described as a "problem," there are many other ways to solve it.  If someone who doesn't want to solve the puzzle or who couldn't do it just simply has to have that special cocktail, then why not just ask the hosts if it's all right, or see if the bartenders are just letting everyone have it anyway, or share yours, or just quietly get yourself two cocktails and give them one?

Hmmmmm

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »
Agreeing with Gellchom

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
I would be surprised if the bride and groom hadn't planned for a special cocktail for everyone, expecting that the password would be shared.

I don't think I would out and out give someone the password but I would help them figure out the puzzle to get it themselves.  If they weren't willing to solve the puzzle, then they aren't too concerned about getting the drink.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Easter Hat

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
Seems like a fun ice breaker.  I mostly agree with gellchom that one shouldn't spoil the game.

I don't particular enjoy these sorts of games but many do.  Sort of like party games at showers.  I love it when it's just eating, chatting and idly watching the bride to be.  Others hate it when there aren't any games because they think it's "boring" to just watch the bride.  I wouldn't pout or cheat at a shower game and I wouldn't spoil this sort of game either.

mime

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 01:18:24 PM »
I agree with gellchom et al...

After taking a quick look, it seems that this game could easily be done in groups, and if someone really really wants the special cocktail, they can work alongside someone else or get help along the way.

I think it would be rude to the hosts to override the rules and give away the password because someone doesn't want to play the hosts' game, but still wants the prize.

lowspark

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »
I agree with gellchom too.

Reading through the explanation on the website, it seems to me that there's nothing very hard about it and that the requirements were mostly about mingling and learning more about the bride and groom.

My guess is that anyone who gave it just a tiny bit of effort could learn the password so yeah, it would be pretty rude for people to whisper it around, thereby depriving guests of the opportunity to fully participate.

I would bet that anyone who wanted one of those cocktails got one.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

TootsNYC

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 07:58:06 PM »
I do understand the reasoning, but I still think it's a little bit like rearranging the place cards or something.

Whether or not it was a good idea, that's with the hosts planned and what they asked you to cooperate with, and no matter what makes more sense, it's arrogant and a little rude to substitute your judgment and undermine it, especially for something so incredibly unimportant (is this a magic cocktail that confers upon the drinker the ability to fly? :)).  It's not like switching a seat so that a wheelchair has room to fit or something.

Even if the inability to get that one particular cocktail could be described as a "problem," there are many other ways to solve it.  If someone who doesn't want to solve the puzzle or who couldn't do it just simply has to have that special cocktail, then why not just ask the hosts if it's all right, or see if the bartenders are just letting everyone have it anyway, or share yours, or just quietly get yourself two cocktails and give them one?

Or do someone's puzzle for them--that's the easy solution.

Belle

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 11:25:11 AM »
If I were the bride, I would expect that at some point people would share the password with people who hadn't finished the game. In my mind, the point is to have fun at the wedding - if somebody either doesn't like games, or simply couldn't figure that particular game out, what harm is there in somebody sharing the password with them? It's different if somebody is, a) obnoxiously sharing the password with everybody, including people who don't want it, or b) whining to all about wanting the password and not wanting to do the game, but in those cases it's the behavior that's the issue, not getting a "special" drink.