News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 01:00:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bridezilla holds ‘auction’ for potential BMs to bid for a place in her wedding  (Read 2014 times)

TheaterDiva1

I apologize if this had already come up - mods, feel free to delete this if it's a duplicate.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/4096562/self-absorbed-bridezilla-holds-auction-for-potential-bridesmaids-to-bid-for-a-place-in-her-wedding/

TR:DR - A bride auctioned off spots in her bridal party (including MoH) to pay for her wedding. I'm not clear as to where this happened, but I think this was posted on a British site, so I'm guessing the U.K. (in case that makes a difference). Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:50:33 PM by TheaterDiva1 »

rose red

I think it's a great idea. Now everyone can see what kind of people the "HC" (not to mention the mother) are and how they really view friendship.

nutraxfornerves

The original Reddit thread (link in story) includes advice that sounds straight out of Ehell. Don't JADE (with an explanation of Jade). And "learn how to say 'I'm not going to discuss that, I've already said no, and my email explained why I said no. How is cousin XYZ?'"

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

gellchom

A single word in that story says it all:

"nutters."

pattycake

The original Reddit thread (link in story) includes advice that sounds straight out of Ehell. Don't JADE (with an explanation of Jade). And "learn how to say 'I'm not going to discuss that, I've already said no, and my email explained why I said no. How is cousin XYZ?'"

It looks like the original post has been removed, though all the comments still remain.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
I think the bride will get exactly the sort of wedding she deserves - though probably not the one she wants.

gramma dishes

It looks like the original post has been removed, though all the comments still remain.

For me it was the opposite!  The post is there, but no comments!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
Well. That's novel.

(I didn't say it was good.)
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Mustard

Egads... If it is in the U.K. it some how seems worse as the bridesmaid don't, by tradition, pay for their own dresses, shoes, hair-dos etc. Given that many bridezillas seem to go out of their way to get a matching set of attendants, it would be interesting to see who 'wins' the auction...

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
I can actually see this being not a totally horrible no good very bad idea, but the circumstances have to be absolutely right, for example:
-The Bride and Groom are raising money for a particular charity (probably health-related)
-Everyone knows before hand that none of the money is going to the Bride and Groom
-The Bride and Groom will still pay the Bridesmaids expenses

And even then, it's still not precisely a good idea!

Free Range Hippy Chick

It's a UK site but it mentions dollars, so I would think not a UK wedding.

TheaterDiva1

Then that's even worse. At least in the U.K. the bride would be paying for the bridesmaids' dresses (right?), that the auction money would do towards that. But if this is in the US and the girls are paying for those spots ON TOP OF dresses and whatnot? I have no words... 😳😳😳

rose red

Then that's even worse. At least in the U.K. the bride would be paying for the bridesmaids' dresses (right?), that the auction money would do towards that. But if this is in the US and the girls are paying for those spots ON TOP OF dresses and whatnot? I have no words... 😳😳😳

Nobody has to bid though, not even the sister of the bride so nobody has to spend one single penny. You guilt me? I'll guilt you right back.

Roodabega

However the quote from the sister said "Mum", so either they substituted the money or they substituted mum for mom.

MagnesiumOxide

Re: Bridezilla holds ‘auction’ for potential BMs to bid
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »
However the quote from the sister said "Mum", so either they substituted the money or they substituted mum for mom.

Or they're Australian.   ;)