News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 03:53:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bridezilla holds ‘auction’ for potential BMs to bid for a place in her wedding  (Read 2144 times)

nutraxfornerves

The newspaper that reported the story, as given in the OP here, is in the UK.  However, the story is taken from a Reddit post. Although the Reddit OP was deleted, subsequent posts make it look like a US wedding.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

lmyrs

This would delight me. Honestly, being able to get out of being a bridesmaid just by refusing to bid on the spot? That is the definition of win-win for me.

I am wildly curious about the person who would bid on this travesty. Why would anyone spend money for the honour of spending more money (on a dress, hair, present, shower, etc)?

In my opinion, the bride is a dummy and her mother is worse.

nutraxfornerves

I am wildly curious about the person who would bid on this travesty.

In the original Reddit thread, one of the very last posts is "Am I the only one who thinks this is a wacky and kind of cool way to raise money for a wedding/honeymoon? OP is the anomaly as all the other women are willing and excited to compete." This poster goes on to say that the OP's resentment of her sister is coloring her view, and to accuse the OP of not supporting the sister & her fiancé, "but there's no indication that anyone else in the sisters life feels the same." [Actually, it appears that some, but not all, of the bride's friends are happy with it.]

The responses weren't kind, and the poster replied "I was looking at it as maybe the sister has too many good friends to choose from and didn't want to hurt feelings by picking some and excluding others... came up with an economically sound solution. I guess I just don't really get weddings in the first place though."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data