Author Topic: Sweet Sweet 16  (Read 2450 times)

fklwmn

Sweet Sweet 16
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »
My co-worker's teenage son got an invitation to a calssmate's sweet 16 party.

The invitation specifies "entrance to the party is $10 in advance, $15 at the door." Apparently AFTER the invites were sent out her son brings home word that the "entrance fee" is supposed to be in lieu of a gift (backpedal anyone?).

CoWorker is hilarious. "Oh, NO. I would have sent him to that party with $10 and a card, but you want to charge an entrance fee?? H*ll No!" So her son will not be attending the birthday party in question. I wonder how many kids will attend though.

All I could think was... oh, my fellow eHellions will LOVE this story!

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
Re: Sweet Sweet 16
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 12:44:42 PM »
I would not allow my children to ever attend something like this. This is tacky and rude to expect children to pay to attend a birthday party.

It is not a birthday party but a fundraiser. No, the hosts were expecting the entrance fee and a gift from each attendee. They can say no all they want, but by calling it a Sweet 16 party they were expecting gifts.

I have and will attend fundraisers for those events that I have decided to support, but never ever call a it a birthday party  and especially not for kids.

Chartreuse

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »
I can't wait until that birthday girl gets married.  If she's learning this kind of stuff now, over a birthday party, I can't wait to see what she thinks is cool when she's a bride.
Tact: The ability to tell some one to go to hell in such a way that he looks forward to the trip.

Gileswench

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »
(weeps for humanity)

One never charges an entry fee for a party! One charges an entry fee for a fund-raiser, and no Sweet Sixteen is an excuse for fund-raising.

If the family can't pay comfortably for the party, they shouldn't be throwing it. If they can, shame on them for trying to strong-arm the guests into paying for it anyway!

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 01:58:24 PM »
Is this party being featured on "My Super Sweet 16"??? Because I think that's the level of class we're dealing with here.
I'm glad you're not sending your son (not that I thought you would, I figured that one out before I finished reading the post). I hope attendance is sparse at best.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 03:00:01 PM »
Even the backpedaling stinks.

Are they planning to turn people away who don't bring gifts?

blue_bunny_paz

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 04:20:58 PM »
$10 in advance? Do you get a ticket or your name on a list?
For $10 I'd want a gold leaf ticket. And can you get a refund if you don't like the cake?

Gigi

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 02:58:33 AM »
Are you sure that this party isn't being thrown by a bunch of kids themselves without the parent's knowledge?  It sounds to me that the entrance fee is something kids would dream up to fund the beer and munchies. 

I'd definitely check to be sure the parents 1) know the party is happening, and 2) will be in attendance to chaperone. 

If the parents know, and approve, that's another story.  As it is I'm suspicious.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 04:51:58 AM »
Are they related to the people who want to charge the $75 entrance fee to their wedding?