News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 24, 2017, 07:14:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wedding Classic: Possibly Fictional Titanic Bride  (Read 155422 times)

CharlieBraun

Re: Wedding Classic: Possibly Fictional Titanic Bride
« Reply #390 on: October 09, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
How have I not read this before?  How?

;D
"We ate the pies."

Asharah

« Reply #391 on: October 09, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »
How have I not read this before?  How?

;D
It wasn't a literacy issue was it?  ;D
Asharah

Solanna Dryden

« Reply #392 on: October 10, 2011, 02:52:59 PM »
I've heard rumours about a place in Belfast with a replic a of the Titanic ballroom, which has wedding receptions, but I've never been able to find it online.

There's a hotel an Alnwick, Northumberland which has the rebuilt First Class Lounge and Aft Grand Stairway from the Olympic, the Titanic's sister-ship.  Really cool stuff.

Yeah and there's some place that has the original carvings from Olympic's dining hall, I think, but I can't remember where it is or what it's called now.
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

mechtilde

« Reply #393 on: October 10, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »
There's a bit in Wiki about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Olympic

I can't believe that some of her panelling ended up in Haltwhistle paint factory!
NE England

Thipu1

« Reply #394 on: November 28, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »
The paneling from the extra tariff restaurant on the Olympic is now in the extra tariff dining room on the Millenium. 

poundcake

« Reply #395 on: July 05, 2017, 07:22:56 AM »
It's been too long since The Unsinkable Titanic Bride Story was revived yet again, and I'm revisiting it because a recent conversation about horrible weddings reminded me. I tried to describe it to friends, and then just had to google and read the whole story.

This time, I'm particularly struck by the inconsistencies with the timeline. Okay. So Jenn knows she's pregnant in the first month, and William immediately proposes. Possible, not probable, but sure. However, it seems like we're expected to believe this all takes place in Jenn's first trimester, certainly before she starts showing. And yet this mega-detailed, labor-intensive Titanic wedding comes off in, what, a matter of weeks? Retrofitting a boat and, hell, even just getting the route ok'd? All of the dresses and era-appropriate clothing? The guests clearing their schedules? A planned and destroyed bridal shower? Travel and accommodations to England? Along with all of the usual wedding-planning stuff, from menu-planning to legalities and registrations? We're supposed to believe all of this took place in a matter of six to eight weeks, based on the story.

It also seems like we're expected to believe that Jenn intends to get knocked up asap to secure her ties to Prince William and make her story stick. If it took, minimum, a couple months to retrofit the cruise ship and order the ice sculptures and have dozens and dozens of items of period garb custom-made, were Jenn and William celibate during this time? Because if not, it's likely Jenn could be pregnant by the time the wedding happens. Apparently, only "lesser" seed than Prince William's will stick to Jenn's evil, corrupted womb.

Lorna Mae

« Reply #396 on: July 06, 2017, 02:10:19 AM »
Good point, poundcake! A wedding of this magnitude would take a year, *minimum*, of preparation. Shoot, last winter I went to a wedding at a ski resort, and that was planned seven or eight months in advance. (Almost derailed by icy roads, too. But at least no histrionics from the bride!)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #397 on: July 09, 2017, 01:21:39 PM »
I wonder if the original story teller ever realized the hours of enjoyment that they have given us?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Asharah

« Reply #398 on: July 09, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
Asharah

Twik

« Reply #399 on: July 10, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »
Of course, if this story were to be written today, it would likely be based on Twilight. But I think the utterly implausible faux-Titanic setting makes it just that much more adorable than something set in Washington State.

Although convincing male guests to wear glitter would have been fun to see.  >:D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Asharah

Asharah