Author Topic: Real Bridezilla or OP Bias? Bridezillas 0828/03  (Read 406 times)

astaraels-get

Real Bridezilla or OP Bias? Bridezillas 0828/03
« on: September 28, 2014, 05:04:04 PM »
First of all, let me say I love your sight. My husband and I got married 15 years ago and it went off without a hitch, but I love reading about all the faux paus that others experience.

My story is about my sister's wedding. Although the wedding went fine, the night before (the rehearsal dinner) and the reception were a different story. At the rehearsal dinner, where I was the Matron of Honor and my daughter was the flower girl, EVERYONE attending (whether they were part of the wedding party or not) received a gift, except for my daughter. Now you try to explain to a four-year-old why she is the only one not receiving a present, not an easy task. My sister said they had a present for her but thought they would wait until the next day to give it to her. Mistake #1.

At the reception my sister and her new husband sat at the head table as if they were the king and queen. They never got up to greet guests or speak to anyone, they expected to be waited on hand and foot, and refused to leave the table at any time for any reason. I could take that, to a certain degree, but my husband, myself and several other family members took this as the time to decorate the newlywed's car. We were very careful in what we used and only did a small amount of decorating, but this was considered awful by the bride and groom. When they finally did come outside, after everyone had left, they quickly took all the decorations off the car, threw them in the lawn of the church and left.

The straw that broke my back was the comment my sister made several months later. When asked by a friend about how the wedding went, she responded with "it was beautiful of course, but thank God it wasn't tacky like K and D's (mine) wedding! I was stunned, our wedding cost 1/4 of hers so apparently if it is not a big show it is tacky. I have never forgotten that comment, only now can my husband and I laugh about it.

Bridezillas 0828/03

Does anyone else sense a strong bias from this story? It's like the OP went out of her way to paint her sister as a bridezilla just because her daughter didn't get her gift at the same time as everyone else in the wedding party. Leaving the decorations on the church lawn is the only thing I could see as being really out of line (and possibly calling OP's wedding tacky, if that actually happened and wasn't just gossip).

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Real Bridezilla or OP Bias? Bridezillas 0828/03
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 05:39:36 PM »
I think the part about sitting at the HT like an King and Queen without greeting guests was pretty rude.

astaraels-get

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »
True, but that could also be an exaggeration on the OP's part.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:06:07 PM »
There may be bias, but it's not as obvious as some of the archived stories.

1. Not having a present for the flower girl, when the others got theirs. Not rude, exactly, but anyone who knows about kids should realize this would be potentially upsetting to a child. And without a reason it sounds like, "Oh, we didn't get something for the FG, and people expect it! Hey, we'll say we just planned on doing it tomorrow." Rude if they hoped to get away without giving a small child a present for doing the same work the adults were, and left her parents to explain why everyone else was getting gifts except her.

2. Sitting at the head table and not greeting guests is rude, if true. Without being there, hard to tell if it were true or not.

3. Leaving the decorations from the car on the lawn (rather than finding a trash can or putting them in the trunk) is very rude towards the church.

4. Badmouthing someone else's wedding is rude, at least in the family circle, where it will undoubtedly get back to the other person.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."