News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 03:23:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MOG in white? -- oh, wait ....  (Read 1570 times)

gellchom

MOG in white? -- oh, wait ....
« on: August 29, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »
LOL -- I just saw photos of my friend at her son's recent wedding, and I was surprised to see that she was wearing a white dress -- a short, daytime dress, nothing that looks remotely like a wedding gown, but still, I was surprised that she chose white.

And then I remembered -- this wedding had two grooms and no bride! 

So this time it was no issue.  (And it was a private, immediate family only wedding, so there wasn't anyone there to care anyway.)

rose red

Re: MOG in white? -- oh, wait ....
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 12:45:52 PM »
Hey, if white is approved for Pippa in a royal wedding, then who are we to judge? ;) ;D

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 04:48:54 PM »
Well, nobody's going to confuse her for the groom, so I wouldn't worry. :)
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

TootsNYC

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:58:36 PM »
Hey, if white is approved for Pippa in a royal wedding, then who are we to judge? ;) ;D

well, Pippa was a bridesmaid. That's generally considered to be a different thing.

Interestingly, all the etiquette books say that you CAN wear white to a wedding--I know because I looked in all of them for this specific question.

I think some have an admonition that you shouldn't wear a bridal-looking dress (though that wouldn't apply at a casual wedding).

However, I think the general consensus among most ordinary people is that it's bad form.

DCGirl

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
I think I've posted about this before... The first wedding I attended as an adult was for a high school friend.  Her SIL not only wore white, she wore her wedding dress from earlier the same year saying that it was the only nice dress she had.  She also work the hat that went with it (this was in the 1970s, and wide-brim hats for brides were the height of fashion).  She'd had an outdoor summer wedding, so the dress was made of cotton eyelet, not yards and yards of tulle.  I didn't realize it was her wedding dress, but dang near everybody on the groom's side of the church clearly did because I heard audible gasps when she walked down the aisle to her seat.   

gellchom

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »

well, Pippa was a bridesmaid. That's generally considered to be a different thing.

Interestingly, all the etiquette books say that you CAN wear white to a wedding--I know because I looked in all of them for this specific question.

I think some have an admonition that you shouldn't wear a bridal-looking dress (though that wouldn't apply at a casual wedding).

However, I think the general consensus among most ordinary people is that it's bad form.

I think a lot depends upon who it is, too.  White seems different on Grandma than it would on a young contemporary of the bride.

This is yet another area where bright-line rules aren't as important as considering the principle: just don't wear something that is (1) inappropriate to the occasion or (2) draws inordinate and inappropriate attention, whether that means looking like you're trying to compete with the bride or like you're dressed to pick up a one-night stand, attend a funeral, or paint the garage.  Color may or may not make the difference, depending on many circumstances.

metallicafan

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 03:59:49 PM »
My mother in law wore a long ivory dress. I thought she looked great. It never even occurred to me that I should be upset about it!
That being said, I myself would not wear a white dress to a wedding, and in the future when my son's get married, I will not be wearing any shade of white or beige.  I'll just do what a lot of mother's do, wear silver, navy, or burgundy. Lol. Luckily, I look good in those deep colors.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:56:19 PM »
My mother in law wore a long ivory dress. I thought she looked great. It never even occurred to me that I should be upset about it!
That being said, I myself would not wear a white dress to a wedding, and in the future when my son's get married, I will not be wearing any shade of white or beige.  I'll just do what a lot of mother's do, wear silver, navy, or burgundy. Lol. Luckily, I look good in those deep colors.

Hmm...the way I heard it, the MOG's only job was to wear beige and shut up!  ;D

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

metallicafan

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 05:32:33 PM »

Hmm...the way I heard it, the MOG's only job was to wear beige and shut up!  ;D

I'll shut up, but I won't be wearing beige!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
The MOG at DD's wedding wore a pale yellow, if I recall correctly.   It's been ten years - I wore a floral print with a beige or ivory background. 

She pulled a few shenanigans before and after the wedding, but apparently was impressed *by means unknown* into controlling herself during the wedding itself.  Which possibly qualified as either a minor miracle or an extremely good deed by whoever did it.  But it wasn't on my horizon that day, I was "the wedding coordinator" as well as the MOB, so I was busy.  It was a lovely wedding, though.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Mayadoz

• Nobody is in charge of my happiness except me.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 05:16:08 AM »
DH was the celebrant at a wedding on Monday where everyone wore white.
It was the second time round for both of them and a fairly small and informal event, with only about 20 people.

The guys wore white trousers and shirts or t-shirts, the girls wore white knee-length dresses.
Even the bride's dress was short, and not much fancier than the others.

DH said it was a good job he'd met the couple ahead of the ceremony or he wouldn't have known which two they were!
Life is short. Buy the shoes. Drink the wine. Order the dessert.