News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 09:17:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about the Internet Wayback Machine  (Read 770 times)

AngelicGamer

Question about the Internet Wayback Machine
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:34:01 PM »
Hello!

In the new SS thread, another poster couldn't find the original thread since it was deleted. I suggested and linked the Internet Wayback Machine as a way for the poster to read from where they were. Is this against the rules, since threads are deleted for a reason, or is this allowed?

Thank you so much for all that you do!

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Re: Question about the Internet Wayback Machine
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 06:13:56 AM »

I wasn't aware that the Wayback Machine could archive forum posts.  It tends to be hit or miss, imo, since the pages are not archived every day.   The moderators delete threads primarily because it is off topic or contentious and it's the primary way to control the current atmosphere or conversations.    If the thread appears in an Internet archive, that does not defeat the primary purpose of reining in an out of control/off topic discussion. 

*However*,  if posters start pointing others to deleted threads in the Wayback Machine as a means to keep a fight going or creating a troublesome atmosphere in the forum, it will be considered trolling and appropriate measures taken.    In other words,  don't import trouble back to the forum ....there's a good reason why threads/posts get deleted for the general good of the forum.