News:

• February 18, 2018, 06:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading This Forum On Mobile Devices  (Read 1308 times)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Re: Reading This Forum On Mobile Devices
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »
I almost exclusively use my phone, and this forum is very hard to read. The zoom feature on my Android cuts off usernames when it makes text of posts big enough to read, and in typing a reply, it's basically impossible to read what you're writing -- if you want to review more than 4 words at a time.
I tried the WAP2 thing yesterday after reading this thread, and it does make text more legible, but navigation of the site is very difficult. I almost always read from the "Recent Unread Topics" page, which either doesn't exist or loads improperly in this mode (it said there were no unread topics, and when I switched modes, there were at least 15).

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »
Note to self - iPad shows this site just fine in the browser and so does my 7" Android tablet.  A larger screen might show it better - but I picked what fit into my purse over what the webpages fit into.  I know that my phone has tiny print on this site...so I tend not to use it to read here.  The phone works fine with the various reading apps that I have (Nook, Kindle, Kobo, and Overdrive), though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:28:16 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 03:43:48 PM »

I tried the WAP2 thing yesterday after reading this thread, and it does make text more legible, but navigation of the site is very difficult. I almost always read from the "Recent Unread Topics" page, which either doesn't exist or loads improperly in this mode (it said there were no unread topics, and when I switched modes, there were at least 15).

THe problem with making sites mobile/responsive is that something gets lost when downsizing to fit smaller devices.   Not everything on the desktop view can fit in the mobile view.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 03:47:38 PM »
I almost never use a mobile device for the forum.

I think twice over the years I've asked about the forum being activated for use on Tapatalk, but since every time its been ignored I eventually decided you weren't interested in that option.

I did research Tapatalk but there was a decidedly mixed opinion on the SMF support forums about it.   SMF developers have been working on a responsive version of the SMF software but it's either in beta or RC right now and still not recommended for production sites so the wait continues.   I'm testing a mobile theme right now that looks promising. At least I like how it appears on my iphone. 

MrTango

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 04:22:04 PM »
I occasionally read on my phone, but don't generally post from there because it's a pain to type on my phone's screen.  I have an android tablet that I use more frequently, but the screen on that is big enough that I prefer to use the full version of the site.

katycoo

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 05:55:53 AM »
I almost never use a mobile device for the forum.

I think twice over the years I've asked about the forum being activated for use on Tapatalk, but since every time its been ignored I eventually decided you weren't interested in that option.

I did research Tapatalk but there was a decidedly mixed opinion on the SMF support forums about it.   SMF developers have been working on a responsive version of the SMF software but it's either in beta or RC right now and still not recommended for production sites so the wait continues.   I'm testing a mobile theme right now that looks promising. At least I like how it appears on my iphone.

That does sound promising.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »
I read the site on a Moto X and don't bother with the WAP2 site. I have 4G or wireless nearly all the time so the Chrome browser serves it up just fine.

demarco

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 11:01:11 PM »
I always read Ehell on my phone. (I hardly ever use my laptop for anything anymore.) I donít mind the small screen at all. I turn the phone sideways and it is more comfortable.

I do  find it very awkward to post on Ehell using the phone and I post less now than I used to because of that.

lmyrs

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 12:09:16 PM »
I always read Ehell on my phone. (I hardly ever use my laptop for anything anymore.) I donít mind the small screen at all. I turn the phone sideways and it is more comfortable.

I do  find it very awkward to post on Ehell using the phone and I post less now than I used to because of that.

Yes, posting from a phone is a nightmare.

Camarynne

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 10:24:24 PM »
Mobile here, Android tablet and phone. Teensy but possible.