News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 02:11:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Negative Nancy at the nail shop.  (Read 4473 times)

SiotehCat

Negative Nancy at the nail shop.
« on: September 07, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »
I'm currently getting a, much needed, pedicure. This lady is working my feet like nobody else can and it's amazing. The only downside is that the client sitting next to me is having a phone conversation(argument) and the tone of her voice suggests that she's trying to be quiet, but it's not working. She keeps repeating that she's really irritated with whoever she's talking to. She's really killing my vibe.

She's rude, right? I think she is, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

Can I say anything?

I'd like to hear any thoughts! I'll just be sitting here, fighting off her negative energy!

knitwicca

Re: Negative Nancy at the nail shop.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 06:36:33 PM »
I  like peace when I get a pedicure,  manicure, hair service.

How to quiet your"neighbor"?   I have no advice. But I am pretty good at blocking noise by deciding to ignore.
Maybe you could ask her to lower her voice and finish her comversation later.

squeakers

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »
If I were ever to get a mani or a pedi (or both) I would be listening to some device loaded with soothing music simply because I am not good about being touched by strangers.  Well, other than when I was getting a massage as part of physical therapy and I told the ladies "deeper, harder" which had them giggling but unfroze my shoulder in 3 weeks of 1x a week appts combined with exercises.  Complete relief after 5 years of strained pain because I hate admitting I am in pain.

I even wear at least one earbud at the dentist or my gyn appts so I can zone out while still being able to hear questions.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Raintree

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 01:09:10 AM »
Yes, I think she's rude. There is a time and a place for those "irritated" conversations and a nail spa is not one of them. Even ruder if she's doing it while someone is working on her feet. I somehow feel that yakking on the phone while getting your feet done is kind of dehumanizing to the person doing it.

Lula

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
Generally, I consider it rude to ream someone out in public, even over the phone.  Plus, it's a truth universal that nail shops are where you go to relax and try to undo what all the negativity in your life is doing. 

flowerhill

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
Eeesh... I don't know how people think it's ok to have loud, private phone conversations in public - especially in what is supposed to be a quiet, relaxing environment (spa/beauty salon).

I don't think there's much to do but shoot some looks here and there to the offender... you could also try asking the manager to approach her and ask her to tone it down.

andi

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
 This happened at my old salon once. A lady across the room was on the phone with her divorce lawyer the entire time I was there. Twice the owner went over and asked her to keep a conversation down because everybody in the salon could hear it and it was truly bothering everybody in there.

I don't know if there's anything you can do outside of letting your nail tech know it's getting a bit noisy so maybe they can say something. However usually they're too afraid to offend the customers to really say much. I guess next time bring some earbuds

TabathasGran

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »
I agree it is rude.  I would be unlikely to say anything because it seems unlikely that the response will be "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to bother you."

Lexophile

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:30:24 PM »
If I were ever to get a mani or a pedi (or both) I would be listening to some device loaded with soothing music simply because I am not good about being touched by strangers.  Well, other than when I was getting a massage as part of physical therapy and I told the ladies "deeper, harder" which had them giggling but unfroze my shoulder in 3 weeks of 1x a week appts combined with exercises.  Complete relief after 5 years of strained pain because I hate admitting I am in pain.

I even wear at least one earbud at the dentist or my gyn appts so I can zone out while still being able to hear questions.

I was going to suggest this. Block it out.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

bopper

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »
"Excuse me, your call seems important. Should you take it outside?'

or "Could you ask that client to take their call outside? This is supposed to be a relaxing experience."

Peppergirl

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »

I was going to suggest this. Block it out.

I do this. One earbud in and one out so that I can hear questions.  I'd put the earbud in the ear closest to the offending party, of course.

I understand the need to take/place an urgent call arises occasionally, but this certainly does not seem like one of them. 

I've noticed a propensity here lately for speaking on the phone using *speaker* in public.  >:(  Just walking up and down the aisles of the grocery store, chatting away...so we get the added frustration of hearing both sides of the convo instead of just one.

I just can't with people sometimes.   ::)

GardenGal

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 03:24:12 PM »
I'm currently getting a, much needed, pedicure. This lady is working my feet like nobody else can and it's amazing. The only downside is that the client sitting next to me is having a phone conversation(argument) and the tone of her voice suggests that she's trying to be quiet, but it's not working. She keeps repeating that she's really irritated with whoever she's talking to. She's really killing my vibe.

She's rude, right? I think she is, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

Can I say anything?

I'd like to hear any thoughts! I'll just be sitting here, fighting off her negative energy!

If this happened to me, I'd tell her "Excuse me, I know you're trying to keep your voice low, but you need to know that I'm hearing the entire conversation and I feel like I'm invading your privacy. Could you take the phone outside or call back?"  I don't know if this would get her to stop talking or take her phone outside, but it would make me feel better to let her know she was broadcasting her drama.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Twik

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »
It's hard to know what to do when it's another client, as it would put the technician in an awkward position to have to tell them to be quieter.

Just an aside, the least enjoyable massage I ever got was one where the masseuse started to rant about a certain political leader in her home country. I had to first figure out whether she was for or against him, and, when I realized she was very much in the "anti" camp, continue making sympathetic noises to hide that I had really little understanding of the exact political issues involved.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Chez Miriam

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
This reminds me of why I used to keep a pair of ear plugs in a tiny pot in my handbag; I am a not-good traveller, and being able to block out the outside world/stressors helped me immensely.

How I would feel about using them when a person was working on my body, I don't know - I guess it would feel really awkward to me, and probably incredibly rude... :-[

But if I'm paying for a relaxing experience, I don't want to hear anyone's ranting!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Lexophile

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 11:04:22 AM »
It's hard to know what to do when it's another client, as it would put the technician in an awkward position to have to tell them to be quieter.

Just an aside, the least enjoyable massage I ever got was one where the masseuse started to rant about a certain political leader in her home country. I had to first figure out whether she was for or against him, and, when I realized she was very much in the "anti" camp, continue making sympathetic noises to hide that I had really little understanding of the exact political issues involved.

I had one start to try and convert me to her church during a massage once. I never went back.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim