News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 01:37:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O of "You're Welcome"  (Read 3045 times)

Amberly

S/O of "You're Welcome"
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »
The post about someone saying "you're welcome" before a "thank you" is issued reminded me of some rudeness I encountered at work a while back.  I think it's an E-hell worthy story.

I was returning to work after lunch and realized the car pulling into the lot in front of me had a visibly low tire.  It was a lady I didn't recognize, as I was fairly new to the company, and she parked on the other side of the lot from where I parked.  She didn't appear to notice the problem with her tire, and I made a point to keep an eye on her while I got out of my car and headed towards the building.  Right as I approached the door, she disappeared inside, so I dashed ahead to try to catch her.  I knew if I didn't catch her right then, I wouldn't be able to locate her again, and she'd likely leave work that evening only to discover her tire was flat.  That's zero fun when it's time to go home for the day.

Anyway, as I said...I dashed, caught up with her, and told her she had a low tire.  She thanked me, but in the process of dashing, I had apparently let the door close behind me.  A man who was walking into the building from the smoke shack swung the door open and said loudly and in an angry voice, "Don't worry, we'll get the door for ourselves."

I was sorely tempted to spin around and inform him that I was in the process of doing a good deed.  Really, the most I would do if someone let the door close ahead of me is grumble under my breath.  I'm sure by now I need to get over it.   ;D  But I admit it still irritates me every time I see the man in the hallways.

JeanFromBNA

Re: S/O of "You're Welcome"
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
The post about someone saying "you're welcome" before a "thank you" is issued reminded me of some rudeness I encountered at work a while back.  I think it's an E-hell worthy story.

I was returning to work after lunch and realized the car pulling into the lot in front of me had a visibly low tire.  It was a lady I didn't recognize, as I was fairly new to the company, and she parked on the other side of the lot from where I parked.  She didn't appear to notice the problem with her tire, and I made a point to keep an eye on her while I got out of my car and headed towards the building.  Right as I approached the door, she disappeared inside, so I dashed ahead to try to catch her.  I knew if I didn't catch her right then, I wouldn't be able to locate her again, and she'd likely leave work that evening only to discover her tire was flat.  That's zero fun when it's time to go home for the day.

Anyway, as I said...I dashed, caught up with her, and told her she had a low tire.  She thanked me, but in the process of dashing, I had apparently let the door close behind me.  A man who was walking into the building from the smoke shack swung the door open and said loudly and in an angry voice, "Don't worry, we'll get the door for ourselves."

I was sorely tempted to spin around and inform him that I was in the process of doing a good deed.  Really, the most I would do if someone let the door close ahead of me is grumble under my breath.  I'm sure by now I need to get over it.   ;D  But I admit it still irritates me every time I see the man in the hallways.

I've had pretty good success replying to passive-aggressive comments as if they were genuine.  So I would have replied, "Oh, good. Thank you!"

bgolly

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »
This reminds me of a time my husband and I were staying at a hotel. We were heading downstairs and waiting for the elevator. The elevator arrived and we proceeded to enter it. Just as we were about to walk in a man walked out. He must have been right against the wall with the buttons because he appeared at the last possible second. We did not see him from the angle we were standing when the doors opened. He barked at us "normally people wait for others to exit!". We unfortunately were stunned silent and didn't react. I think people really need to think before they bark at people for perceived bad manners. 

Amberly

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »
I think people really need to think before they bark at people for perceived bad manners.

Amen to that!

snappylt

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »

{...snip...}

I've had pretty good success replying to passive-aggressive comments as if they were genuine.  So I would have replied, "Oh, good. Thank you!"

I like JeanFromBNA's reply above. It needs to be done with a wide-eyed, innocent look and a polite non-confrontational tone of voice.

Peppergirl

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »

{...snip...}

I like JeanFromBNA's reply above. It needs to be done with a wide-eyed, innocent look and a polite non-confrontational tone of voice.

Me too! I've done it, and also adjusted my tone of voice so that I sounded perky/chirpy when I said it.  Usually not well received, but I enjoyed it.  ;D

lowspark

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
This reminds me of a time my husband and I were staying at a hotel. We were heading downstairs and waiting for the elevator. The elevator arrived and we proceeded to enter it. Just as we were about to walk in a man walked out. He must have been right against the wall with the buttons because he appeared at the last possible second. We did not see him from the angle we were standing when the doors opened. He barked at us "normally people wait for others to exit!". We unfortunately were stunned silent and didn't react. I think people really need to think before they bark at people for perceived bad manners.

I think that entering (or attempting to enter) the elevator before others have exited is something that probably everyone has done on occasion. It happens. And really, it's not that big a deal. So for me, if I'm the one who's exiting, I'm pretty forgiving and don't really mind. And I hope that others will forgive me easily.

People who are grumpy about that sort of thing are probably just grumpy in general or having a bad day so... you know, whatever! I just move on and forget about it.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

AngelicGamer

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »

That gets a bright "didn't see you" with a smile from me. I use a red tipped cane (legally blind) so people see that and sputter on whatever other snark they were going to throw.