News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 10:14:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Something Borrowed, Something Corporate  (Read 1701 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: Something Borrowed, Something Corporate
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 12:08:46 PM »
If you will go back to that website you will see that comments are closed, but did you see the related story about a couple charging for their wedding and comparing it to Woodstock? 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/wedding-tickets-claire-ness-wedstock-yukon-1.3630199

What a field day we could have had with this one!

Hmmmmm

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »

gramma dishes

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 05:30:01 PM »
 :o   :o    :o    :o 

Yes, have your best marketer sell you off in pieces. 

Good grief, I picture the salesman from the NY Yankees field signs out hustling sponsors for your cups, plates and napkins, your flower wrappers, 

How about a small but tasteful logo on the back of your bridesmaid dresses?  And certainly you would want your limo to have logo magnets all over it to share in your big day!   

Maybe a logo at the end of each pew - just like a sponsor for each hole on the golf course? 

How about the bridal table - signage: punch provided by Dole Fruit Juices, cookies by Chips Ahoy and nuts by Planters. 

Where does it end?  You could actually make money on this deal, you KWIM?

gellchom

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 05:42:39 PM »
They must have read this article.

http://firstquarterfinance.com/wedding-sponsors-get-wedding-paid-for/

New low.

It's hard to choose, but I think this is my favorite part:

"P.S. If at any point in this article you get overwhelmed, designate a friend to help. Appoint them to be your Best Marketer. It will look great on their resume …"

Gosh, wouldn't you just feel great if your friend ask you this? How lovely of them to give you such a great opportunity to build your resume this way!

I think I laughed out loud at the suggestion that the best sources of sponsorship are businesses who are wedding vendors, because it's giving them a chance to show off their products and services! Well, doesn't that happen when the customers are paying for it, too?   But then, I have never seen anyone use the !!!great!!! idea of putting logos on napkins, placemats, wedding clothes, and so forth. I know what my reaction would be.  I have, only once or twice, seeing photographers and videographers and maybe others put business cards  and order forms out on the tables. I can't speak for everyone, but everyone at my table was really put off, laughed, and made a mental note never, never to hire them less they use our events for their advertising, too.  If people like the food, flowers, cake, photographer, band, or whatever at your wedding, believe me, they will ask you when it is time for them to do some hiring.

I scanned through several of the comments, and not a single one criticizes this idea. Almost every one of them was asking for suggestions for sponsors, or flat out asking for money from the magazine itself. Pretty amusing that evidently the magazine didn't think it was such a super opportunity.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 07:06:23 PM »
Isn't that kind of what Star Jones (of The View) did several years ago?  Although she did get some corporate cooperation and financial sponsoring, it didn't go over well at all with her audience members as I recall.

Yep. Everything from the invitations to the bridesmaids gowns to the airline they used. It was not well-received.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/people/2004-11-10-star-jones_x.htm
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

mime

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 01:23:17 PM »
They must have read this article.

http://firstquarterfinance.com/wedding-sponsors-get-wedding-paid-for/

New low.

It's hard to choose, but I think this is my favorite part:

"P.S. If at any point in this article you get overwhelmed, designate a friend to help. Appoint them to be your Best Marketer. It will look great on their resume …"

Gosh, wouldn't you just feel great if your friend ask you this? How lovely of them to give you such a great opportunity to build your resume this way!

I think I laughed out loud at the suggestion that the best sources of sponsorship are businesses who are wedding vendors, because it's giving them a chance to show off their products and services! Well, doesn't that happen when the customers are paying for it, too?   But then, I have never seen anyone use the !!!great!!! idea of putting logos on napkins, placemats, wedding clothes, and so forth. I know what my reaction would be.  I have, only once or twice, seeing photographers and videographers and maybe others put business cards  and order forms out on the tables. I can't speak for everyone, but everyone at my table was really put off, laughed, and made a mental note never, never to hire them less they use our events for their advertising, too.  If people like the food, flowers, cake, photographer, band, or whatever at your wedding, believe me, they will ask you when it is time for them to do some hiring.

I scanned through several of the comments, and not a single one criticizes this idea. Almost every one of them was asking for suggestions for sponsors, or flat out asking for money from the magazine itself. Pretty amusing that evidently the magazine didn't think it was such a super opportunity.

What seems especially bad about the whole idea to me is the fact that only a very small percentage of people can actually do this. Thinking of wedding vendors: if a company sponsors a wedding (or some aspect of it) they need to get a boost in business to offset that 'donation' to be worthwhile. The rest of the weddings have to be paid-for.

Now, I'm imagining everyone in town ABC going to the four best florists and asking for everything for free. If the florist even thinks they need this kind of advertising, it will be maybe one or two events a year that they can sponsor. If they're going to go this route, then they'll want a good sized audience. If I was the florist, I'd do some company's anniversary dinner or convention or something like that, hoping to get an audience of 500 less-related people rather than some unknown couple's 250-guest wedding where many of the guests are part of just two families.

So what this comes down to is that it is a true option for very very few people-- with a strong social media presence, but it is being thrown out there like it is viable for your average just-out-of-college kids with 200 very casual insta followers. Suddenly everyone thinks that all they have to do is present this great idea to their local businesses and they'll be falling all over themselves to give free services to the HC.

I have a friend who would be all over it. Then, she'd be completely befuddled as to why nobody wants to pay for her stuff.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »
What mime said...  I'll be the pretend florist here

It's just like any other advertising dollar for the vendor, where am I going to get the most bang for my buck?  It's probably not going to be for someone's wedding (unless it is royalty with lots of public exposure for example).

Radio stations have numbers to show the number of their listeners at any given hour, same with television programming.  Newspapers and magazines have a count of their subscribers.  Then they all have demographics (disposable income, age, probably ethnic background, etc.) charts and spreadsheets and so on...what do you, the happy couple have to show me as the benefit?   

How many people are going to be at your wedding AND how many are going to see my logo on your floral arrangements?  And how many of those are going to come to my shop and order for their event?   

So what is my cost benefit analysis?  I just don't see it myself.  But hey, I'm sure someone will make it work and prove me wrong.  I just see it as another advertising vehicle and not a very good one IMO - cost wise.

Now if I had a new process to dye flowers a unique rainbow color I might donate (or donate half) the first wedding I do with that process to get the word out.  Otherwise I can't be advertising in every wedding and expect to make up my profit on all the other events I sell flowers for.  And once I donate/advertise with one wedding you know all the future weddings are going to be banging on my door looking for a freebie.  And what is the frustration benefit from having to say no to the next 90 happy couples?

We hear advertise, I see donate.  Advertising grows your business, I just don't see too many florists (and some other merchants) advertising that many weddings and it growing their businesses.     

DCGirl

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
I have seen pictures (and I think it was a link here, years ago) of bridesmaids dresses with the John Deere tractor logo on them, but they weren't because John Deere was sponsoring the wedding.  It was because you can buy such fabric and the happy couple loved tractors.