News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 09:58:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another "You're Welcome" Spin Off  (Read 4863 times)

NFPwife

Another "You're Welcome" Spin Off
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
This  was more of a snooty thank you.

Yesterday at the gym I was doing kettlebell swings. I do at least 50 swings with the goal of getting my heart rate to a very high level, pause until it's at a specific lower level, and then repeat four times. The first set or two might take 60-65 swings to hit the HR. The last sets only take 50. (I do a minimum of 50 each time.)

I was on my third set and had my eyes half-closed concentrating. I was on swing 38 when I noticed someone's shoes in front of me. I looked up and there's a woman saying something. I had headphones in and tilted my head to my shoulder and said, "Sorry. Can't hear you. About 10 left." This was all pretty breathless because I was working hard. She stays. I finish. She starts talking before I have my headphone out so I have to ask her to repeat herself as I take it out and she asks where the stairs are. I motioned, "That sign that says Exit? They're behind that door." She turns and calls the snarky, "Thank you," that implies, "Was that so hard?" over her shoulder.

I was tempted to do the explain part of JADE with a "if I stopped, I'd have to start this whole set over," but didn't. I just ignored it and went on to the last set of swings.

I assume she thought I was rude for continuing the set. I think the expectation that I stop to answer her question is unreasonable and JADEing wouldn't have shifted either of us.

caroled

Re: Another "You're Welcome" Spin Off
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 04:21:43 PM »
I'm confused, but what about this encounter is there a question about...was she rude to expect you to stop your workout to answer her, were you rude not to stop and answer her question...otherwise this just seems like a rant.

Semperviren

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:36:01 PM »
Pretty sure etiquette is on your side, you're really not supposed to interrupt someone in the middle of an intense set (both because it's rude, and because it's not safe to interrupt someone's focus when heavy weights are involved). But even if not, "Now, was that so hard?" seems very snide and unnecessary.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »
It's definitely rude and dangerous to interrupt someone in the middle of a set like that.   

Cleargleam

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
This  was more of a snooty thank you.

Yesterday at the gym I was doing kettlebell swings. I do at least 50 swings with the goal of getting my heart rate to a very high level, pause until it's at a specific lower level, and then repeat four times. The first set or two might take 60-65 swings to hit the HR. The last sets only take 50. (I do a minimum of 50 each time.)

I was on my third set and had my eyes half-closed concentrating. I was on swing 38 when I noticed someone's shoes in front of me. I looked up and there's a woman saying something. I had headphones in and tilted my head to my shoulder and said, "Sorry. Can't hear you. About 10 left." This was all pretty breathless because I was working hard. She stays. I finish. She starts talking before I have my headphone out so I have to ask her to repeat herself as I take it out and she asks where the stairs are. I motioned, "That sign that says Exit? They're behind that door." She turns and calls the snarky, "Thank you," that implies, "Was that so hard?" over her shoulder.

I was tempted to do the explain part of JADE with a "if I stopped, I'd have to start this whole set over," but didn't. I just ignored it and went on to the last set of swings.

I assume she thought I was rude for continuing the set. I think the expectation that I stop to answer her question is unreasonable and JADEing wouldn't have shifted either of us.

You were very nice to acknowledge and answer her query at all.  You are not there to answer random queries, and especially not mid set. The sort of entitled rudeness she displayed really fries me.

bah12

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:30:21 PM »
I don't understand the question.  Of course, saying anything in a snooty voice is rude.  And obviously you don't have to stop your workout to answer a random question by a stranger.   There's nothing to do differently, regardless of what her expectations may or may not be.

bloo

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 06:33:02 PM »
That was beyond rude to dangerous. She should have trudged around looking for an employee. You were kinder to her than most would have been, NFPwife.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:47:10 PM »
This is a case of you not being rude in the least. I don't understand why the other person thought you were the only one to answer her question.

ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

BeagleMommy

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 08:45:58 AM »
Typically, I do not ask people who obviously have ear buds/headphones on any questions because I assume they won't be able to hear me.  It is rude to interrupt someone's workout.  Plus, if you were doing kettle bell swings, the lady was risking getting hit by said kettle bell.

You were not rude, and the snark (real or implied) was unnecessary.  If you can't find equipment at the gym you are supposed to ask an employee.

NFPwife

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »
I'm confused, but what about this encounter is there a question about...was she rude to expect you to stop your workout to answer her, were you rude not to stop and answer her question...otherwise this just seems like a rant.

Oh, sorry. I meant this as a "who was rude" question. She seemed to think I was. I thought she was unreasonable.

lithigin

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
If she's close enough that you can see her shoes, she's lucky she didn't get a KB to the face! I also often workout with my eyes closed to focus on my form. You were in no way in the wrong, and I deduct no points for minor snark

NFPwife

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »
If she's close enough that you can see her shoes, she's lucky she didn't get a KB to the face! I also often workout with my eyes closed to focus on my form. You were in no way in the wrong, and I deduct no points for minor snark

I thought the same thing about hitting her with the kettlebell. She was standing directly in front of me, and I was shocked to see her that close when I fully opened my eyes and looked up. She was just out of my swing range, but just barely.

caroled

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »

Oh, sorry. I meant this as a "who was rude" question. She seemed to think I was. I thought she was unreasonable.

She definitely was. In today's fast paced world, some people can barely find the time to hit the gym. For her to assume you were the only one to help her was a bit presumptuous on her part.  Unless you were wearing a shirt that designated you an employee, she could have looked for someone else.

MrTango

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 07:54:19 AM »
It's rude to interrupt someone in the middle of their workout (unless there's a safety issue, of course).

I also find it to be off-putting to be interrupted in public when I have earbuds/headphones on (again, unless there's a safety issue).

Zizi-K

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 08:19:41 AM »
That lady had some unwarranted expectations. When someone is swinging a heavy weight with earbuds in, you do not disrupt them! It's a safety issue, not to mention intrusive. And to ask where the stairs are? She had some nerve acting like you were the rude one.