News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 06:45:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Funeral potatoes  (Read 1795 times)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: Funeral potatoes
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 04:14:58 PM »
If you don't like the canned "cream of __________" soups, there are all kinds of recipes for making your own.

jpcher

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 04:25:05 PM »
Here's a sample recipe from Kraft (there are tons of variations) http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/baked-hash-brown-casserole-127218.aspx

As a side note: if you're using frozen hash browns (diced or shredded) make sure they're completely thawed, it's not as tasty if the potatoes aren't cooked all the way through. ;)

Thanks for this, I did look up several recipes before I posted my question, but there were quite a few differences so I wanted to hear from the OP on how she did her specific recipe.

Thanks!  Redneck Gravy for the details! ;D

Do they make a cream of beef soup? LOL! My entree is steaks. I'll use the cream of celery since OP said this recipe was Outstanding!

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »
I usually use cream of chicken in mine.  Not a big fan of celery.

pattycake

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »
I went with a 32 oz bag of precut potato cubes, 1 cup low fat sour cream, 8 oz of reduced fat cream cheese, a small onion, fat free cream of celery soup, 1-3/4 cup shredded reduced fat extra sharp cheddar cheese, garlic powder and black pepper.  No topping this time.   

Oh my!  These are outstanding.  I am sorry I made a huge tub but I am going to freeze some for later.  I cannot even tell that I used all low fat products they are so flavorful. 

Has anyone else ever taken a great recipe and then butchered it like I did with happy results?

I take it you dump everything in a casserole dish, stir it all together and bake . . . what temp? How long? Covered, not covered?

I'm thinking of making this for my party next weekend. Exact instructions would be appreciated, please.;D

eta: You said a "huge tub" . . . how many people does this serve?

Here is what I did:

1 32oz bag frozen, cubed potatoes (or hash browns as others suggested)
1 can Cream of Celery soup or cream of chicken or cream of mushroom
(next time I am using cream of jalapeno soup) 
1 Cup low fat Sour Cream
1-8oz pkg softened low fat cream cheese
1-1/2 cups reduced fat Shredded Extra Sharp cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped      some black pepper and some garlic powder (about 3/4 tsp each)

Mix it all up in a large bowl and pour into a 9 x 13 greased pan.  Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly.  Remove and uncover.  Add topping (if you are using one) and bake an additional 10-15 minutes. 

Topping options I have are: 2 cups crushed fried onions or 2 cups crushed potato chips w/2-3 tablespoons melted butter.  Someone suggested corn flakes.  This is a very versatile recipe. 

I think it would easily serve 16 (2 ozs seems like a fair serving)

No, no it wouldn't.  >:D >:D

This sounds like something I would devour! Well, in a few meals but definitely less than 16.

Luci

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 08:39:44 AM »
I went with a 32 oz bag of precut potato cubes, 1 cup low fat sour cream, 8 oz of reduced fat cream cheese, a small onion, fat free cream of celery soup, 1-3/4 cup shredded reduced fat extra sharp cheddar cheese, garlic powder and black pepper.  No topping this time.   

Oh my!  These are outstanding.  I am sorry I made a huge tub but I am going to freeze some for later.  I cannot even tell that I used all low fat products they are so flavorful. 

Has anyone else ever taken a great recipe and then butchered it like I did with happy results?

I take it you dump everything in a casserole dish, stir it all together and bake . . . what temp? How long? Covered, not covered?

I'm thinking of making this for my party next weekend. Exact instructions would be appreciated, please.;D

eta: You said a "huge tub" . . . how many people does this serve?

Here is what I did:

1 32oz bag frozen, cubed potatoes (or hash browns as others suggested)
1 can Cream of Celery soup or cream of chicken or cream of mushroom
(next time I am using cream of jalapeno soup) 
1 Cup low fat Sour Cream
1-8oz pkg softened low fat cream cheese
1-1/2 cups reduced fat Shredded Extra Sharp cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped      some black pepper and some garlic powder (about 3/4 tsp each)

Mix it all up in a large bowl and pour into a 9 x 13 greased pan.  Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly.  Remove and uncover.  Add topping (if you are using one) and bake an additional 10-15 minutes. 

Topping options I have are: 2 cups crushed fried onions or 2 cups crushed potato chips w/2-3 tablespoons melted butter.  Someone suggested corn flakes.  This is a very versatile recipe. 

I think it would easily serve 16 (2 ozs seems like a fair serving)

No, no it wouldn't.  >:D >:D

This sounds like something I would devour! Well, in a few meals but definitely less than 16.

With a nice mixture of school kids, teens, adults, and old people, it serves 12. I made two batches for 20 people and didn't get leftovers.  :(

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »
It looks like I am probably going to get 14 servings (just for me) out of the batch so yes that 16 might be a bit high.

If I could I would probably just sit down and eat three servings at one time but nothing else - probably not my best plan LOL. 

This weekend I made a corn/potato chowder that needs lot of tweaking.  I'll report back when I get it right.