News:

• February 25, 2018, 02:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One Year Of Wedding Gifts  (Read 957 times)

TeamBhakta

One Year Of Wedding Gifts
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:41:37 PM »
A recent NY Times article suggested giving wedding presents that stretch out over one year: four deliveries of olive oil ($290), a subscription to Netflix ($7.99-$19.99 a month), a gift card to send fresh flowers monthly ($500) & so on. Is it rude to ask for one year of services on your wedding registry ?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/fashion/weddings/twelve-gifts-may-be-better-than-one.html

gellchom

Re: One Year Of Wedding Gifts
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:44:04 PM »
I donít see why it would be rude.   Some things (e.g. a year of Netflix, newspaper subscription, season or part season tickets to an arts group or sports team) kind of feel more appropriate for a registry to me than others (e.g. a year of flowers), although I canít articulate why.

One of our friends gave us a wedding gift of a one year subscription to The New York Review of Books.  I thought it was a very good gift idea. 

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 07:39:45 AM »
I don't see a problem with it.   

lowspark

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 08:39:26 AM »
I think it's a great idea. I'm all for consumable gifts for people "who have everything". These items are all consumable in that they don't clutter your house with unneeded items. And it's something the couple really wants! I might actually consider something like this for the next wedding I'm invited to. Thanks for the idea!

And like gellchom, I like it better than some other kinds of registries. For me, I don't like honeymoon registries, or really, any kind of registry that takes some of the money I'm spending away from the intended recipients. When I buy a gift, I want the entire purchase price applied to the gift without having a percentage go to some website or other kind of organizer.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »
I think it's a great idea for someone - or a couple - who have everything they need.  Registries are here to stay; nothing says you have to purchase anything off a registry.

My brother gave our Dad a year's worth of housecleaning one Christmas.  He contacted the person to do the job - that cleaned for a friend of Dad's - and gave her 12 post dated cheques.  Dad liked it so much, he kept her on.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

gramma dishes

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »
I think it's a great idea. I'm all for consumable gifts for people "who have everything". These items are all consumable in that they don't clutter your house with unneeded items. ...

My husband and I attended a wedding several years ago of a couple that truly did 'have everything'.  They had just had an enormous house built with 12 bathrooms.  Most of the wedding guests were people who worked basically "for" him -- he was one of the partners in the firm.  Someone gave them a case of 12 roll packages of toilet paper.