News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 03:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What kind of food would you expect for an afternoon party?

Full meal
Appetizers/small plates
Snacks
No food, just drinks

Author Topic: Holiday Open House Party  (Read 2658 times)

Sharnita

Re: Holiday Open House Party
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 06:58:32 PM »
Hot cocoa and desserts sounds like a lot of sweet. Maybe just some chips/pretzels/nuts to break that up?

cicero

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »
We're hosting a holiday gathering at our home, and for most people, it will be their first time visiting the house. We bought the house in May.

My inclination is to have small plates that can be easily replenished, and quite a variety.

I want to have a coffee/cocoa bar with special marshmallows, toppings, etc. I will probably have another hot drink, as well as lots of iced drink options.

We'll also have an assortment of items for the dessert.
Sounds lovely!
I voted for apps because I think that's what people like and expect. You can add or subtract as you need or/and based on your guest's needs/diets etc

For example, I always serve at least three vegetables(big tossed salad, fresh veggie tray, homemade relish/slaw, something with beets , something with eggplant). I also make sure there's a balance of carb free, gf, sugar free etc because there's always someone in a diet or restrictions. And I would add fresh fruit.

For easy apps you can always do things like guac, huumus, three bean salad etc with chips, and cheese tray/spreads with crackers.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »
I love the ideas, keep them coming!

Since this is the holiday event, I think we'll have some hot dips and dippers in addition to the heartier apps.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
My go to these days is roasted garlic with a gf cracker that I really like.  I've had roasted garlic paired with goat cheese, too, that is really good.

My Mom's go to was red pepper jelly over half a brick of cream cheese, served with crackers.  Also usually a hit.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

MOM21SON

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »
I would add some little quiches.

ladyknight1

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 06:29:20 PM »
I was at Costco this evening and they have these items frozen, just heat and eat.

Brazilian cheese bread
Pierogies
Empanadas

I think I might do those in addition to the sliders (No choice, DH is the grill master) and that should suit most of our guests. All who are invited are people we know very well.

I am thinking of making mini frittata or cheese puffs as another meatless option.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 06:45:33 PM »
I bought frozen pierogi last week and was highly disappointed by the quality of the filling. I usually buy them from the refrigerated section from a local maker, and the quality difference was incredible.

Depends on the empanada filling, but I wonder if your menu is looking a bit cheese-heavy?

rose red

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 07:08:35 PM »
How about good old standards like mini egg rolls, deviled eggs, chicken wings, or roasted potato chunks?

HannahGrace

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 07:31:05 PM »
I bought frozen pierogi last week and was highly disappointed by the quality of the filling. I usually buy them from the refrigerated section from a local maker, and the quality difference was incredible.

Depends on the empanada filling, but I wonder if your menu is looking a bit cheese-heavy?

I was thinking the same. Also thinking about vegetarians but I assume OP doesn't know any or her menu would be different.

ladyknight1

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »
Only two of the items contain meat. The rest are all vegetarian.
-J.R.R Tolkien

HannahGrace

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 08:34:48 PM »
Only two of the items contain meat. The rest are all vegetarian.

Ok! It sounded like all but one of the non-desserts was meat based or heavy cheese.

rose red

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 09:00:26 PM »
Here are all the foods mentioned as possibilities by the OP so far.

Cheese ball
Savory cheese puffs
Brazilian cheese bread
Cheese starter (w/crackers?)
Vegetables
Pulled pork sliders
Meatballs
Pierogies
Empanadas
Mini frittata
Coffee/cocoa bar with special marshmallows
Dessert bites
Fruit

That does sound like a lot of cheese that you're thinking of. What about skipping one of the cheese appetizers and have something like bruschetta in it's place?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:07:08 PM by rose red »

ladyknight1

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 09:15:02 PM »
Bruschetta is a great idea!
-J.R.R Tolkien

o_gal

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »
Here are all the foods mentioned as possibilities by the OP so far.

Cheese ball
Savory cheese puffs
Brazilian cheese bread
Cheese starter (w/crackers?)
Vegetables
Pulled pork sliders
Meatballs
Pierogies
Empanadas
Mini frittata
Coffee/cocoa bar with special marshmallows
Dessert bites
Fruit

That does sound like a lot of cheese that you're thinking of. What about skipping one of the cheese appetizers and have something like bruschetta in it's place?

Yeah, that's a lot of cheese (can I come?  >:D )

As someone else pointed out, if the party is from 1 to 4, a lot of your guests will decide to just have a delayed lunch. My suggestion is to put out your heaviest things first so people can have lunch. In the middle, put out more of the lighter things. As the party draws to a close, put out the lightest stuff.

So just to show what I'm thinking, at the beginning (1:00) put out
Cheese starter
Brazilian cheese bread
Vegetables
Pulled pork sliders
Empanadas
Coffee/cocoa bar
Dessert bites

In the middle (2:00) put out
Cheese ball
Meatballs
Pierogies
More veggies
More dessert bites
Fruit

Near the end (3:00) put out
Savory cheese puffs
Mini frittata
More veggies
More fruit

gellchom

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »
I voted for "snacks" but I didn't see much difference between that and appetizers.  But if it's going to be 1-4, I'd change that.  I would definitely think you meant for me to make it my lunch (and I would).  3-5 is what I would call the safe window for not-a-meal.

I agree with the chorus of experienced hosts telling you to vastly simplify your menu.  You will see, larger quantities of fewer dishes works much, much better.  Prepare 2-3 things yourself and fill in with cheese, raw or roasted vegetables, nuts, chips, and other nibbles.  I know how tempting it is to try to think of all the things your guests would enjoy and provide as many as possible, but actually guests are happier, and parties flow better, with fewer choices.   Think of it as if you were giving a seated dinner party -- you can see why just planning a menu you thought they would enjoy would work better than if you tried to offer lots of choices of entrees, sides, salads, and desserts.