News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 09:02:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Please don't post X on your FB page"  (Read 3377 times)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: "Please don't post X on your FB page"
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
I will need to check FB's rule about reviewing tags.  I'm not sure how that works.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »
I will need to check FB's rule about reviewing tags.  I'm not sure how that works.

You should get a notification when someone has tagged you if you have the setting on. 

Go to Settings > Timeline and Tagging.  The second option turns on Timeline Review.  It doesn't stop someone from tagging you, FB got rid of that feature 5 or 6 years ago.  But it does stop a post you're tagged in from appearing on your timeline. 

diesel_darlin

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 04:04:06 AM »
I enjoy clay pigeon shooting as an occasional hobby, and so have followed selected equipment manufacturers and Olympic shooters on Facebook.  An (ex)-friend told me it was wrong to "like" pictures of guns as she didn't want to see them on her feed.  She claims that she is an empath, and seeing pictures of guns causes her physical pain. 

Apparently, I should have known this.  However, we used to watch movies together on a regular basis.  Some of our favourites were "Deadpool", "The Fifth Element", Star Wars, and assorted Quentin Tarantino movies.

I think I sprained a muscle from rolling my eyes so hard.

You seem like a friend I'd like to have! It would beat the tar out of the endless whining and pity me posts that I keep seeing.

And Team Houndmom, I'm in your boat. My dad's gf takes everything she sees on fb seriously, and I often get fussed at over things other people post that I have no control over. Main example is my sister.

Venus193

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2017, 05:23:07 AM »

You should get a notification when someone has tagged you if you have the setting on. 

Go to Settings > Timeline and Tagging.  The second option turns on Timeline Review.  It doesn't stop someone from tagging you, FB got rid of that feature 5 or 6 years ago.  But it does stop a post you're tagged in from appearing on your timeline.

But all that does is allow me to fool myself about it.  It doesn't remove it altogether, which it should do. 

I want to control what other people see about me.  If I post something on a public page, that's my choice.  If someone tags me in a photo or in content I want to remove the tag altogether.

HannahGrace

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »

But all that does is allow me to fool myself about it.  It doesn't remove it altogether, which it should do. 

I want to control what other people see about me.  If I post something on a public page, that's my choice.  If someone tags me in a photo or in content I want to remove the tag altogether.

You can remove the tag. You just can't stop them from trying to tag you, but if you turn on timeline review, the post that they tried to tag you in won't apo are on your page unless you okay it.

pattycake

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »

A simple check in FB help shows this:

To remove a tag from a post you've been tagged in, click (the down arrow) in the top right of the post and select Remove Tag.

You can also remove tags from multiple posts at once:
1.Go to your activity log
2.Click Photos in the left column
3.Click to check the box to the left of the posts you'd like to remove a tag from
4.Click Report/Remove Tags at the top of the page
5.Click Untag Photos to confirm

Removed tags will no longer appear on the post or photo, but the post or photo is still visible to the audience it's shared with. People may be able to view the post or photo in places like News Feed or search results. To remove it from Facebook completely, ask the person who posted it to take it down.
----

Hope that helps you.

Semperviren

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »
I guess the way I view FB is, this is in effect an online diary or pinup board which I allow some selected people to see. I post various things- share stuff I think is amusing or beautiful or interesting or occasionally what's going on with me or sometimes an opinion about a current event.

I do set up specific lists to screen certain posts, and if someone lets me know, for example, they don't want to see opinion pieces, I'll put them on the "No Op/Ed" list. And if someone routinely posts things I'd rather not see, I'll unfollow them (an awesome feature, AFAIC, because I can manage how much of a "dose" of certain people I get, much as I've learned to control how much time I spend with challenging people IRL).

It's similar to owning a cell phone, in a way; I own a cell for MY safety, convenience and pleasure, not so I can be at others' beck and call whenever THEY wish, and my knowing someone else has a cell doesn't mean I get to dictate their use of it.

Likewise, the FB user maintains a page for themselves; others may find the page entertaining or useful but that doesn't mean it exists for their benefit.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »

Unfortunately, the way FB works, the only way to guarantee that no one will try to tag you against your will is to not have any friends.

Venus193

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2017, 06:13:43 AM »
That annoys the crap out of me.  The only good thing about this is that you find out who your friends really are when they do this despite your wish that they don't.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
So how are people meant to get your attention without tagging you? If they find an article/post they think you and 5 others will find interesting, do they have to send you an individual pm or post it directly to your page, instead of just including you on the same post of the others?

You can't avoid people trying to tag you, as ehell says, you can only change how you react to the action - change the settings to be able to approve/reject the tag or as I said before, unfriend everybody. You may not like the options, but they are your only options unless FB changes the settings.

cross_patch

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2017, 06:02:16 PM »
That annoys the crap out of me.  The only good thing about this is that you find out who your friends really are when they do this despite your wish that they don't.

I donít understand this - do you mean anything? I could understand not wanting to be tagged in anything offensive or inappropriate. But do you mean you get angry and sever your friendship with anyone that tags you in anything at all? Even if itís a kitten picture, or something?

Venus193

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
My friends are welcome to post kitten pictures and anything else they know I would like to my page or timeline.

cross_patch

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2017, 10:09:51 PM »
My friends are welcome to post kitten pictures and anything else they know I would like to my page or timeline.

So itís not the tagging or posting, itís tagging or posting things *you think are inappropriate*, is that right? Which is what that review function is for.

Or do you get angry when anyone tags you at all in anything? Iím sorry, Iím just a bit confused, because it feels like a lot of unspoken rules that would be super confusing in terms of the way most people use Facebook. My Facebook friends tag me in a million things all the time, so itís not a problem for me. Iíd be furious if someone tagged me in something racist, or sexist for example, but that would be because of the content rather than the act of tagging. If no one tagged me in anything I would never have found out that such a thing as a gin advent calendar exists, and my world would be emptier for it.

pattycake

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2017, 10:36:11 PM »

But what if it's something they might think you would like, and it turns out they're wrong? I can't imagine unfriending someone because they're mistaken. We never know anyone as well as we think we do. I've been tagged in things I didn't want to be tagged, and I just quietly removed the tag.

Venus193

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »
I have one friend who can't post to my page because I don't want political stuff there.  A year ago I posted a request on my page to people to not tag me in things.  One of them promised to comply.... and is now not doing so.

If we're supposed to be considerate of our friends' preferences I don't see an issue here.