News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 07:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need a gracious exit from social situations if I have a panic attack  (Read 2550 times)

QueenfaninCA

Re: I need a gracious exit from social situations if I have a panic attack
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 04:30:53 PM »
I don't know about your circumstances, but I would go with a white lie: Some type of emergency at home or at work or whatever that you need to take care of right away. As I don't know about your life, I don't know which of those you could spin into a believable situation.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »
"I suddenly don't feel well. I'm sorry but I need to leave/get some fresh air."

It's true. You don't feel well all of a sudden.

eta: I know that's almost saying "anxious" but it's not as specific and "not feeling well" has happened to everyone and can mean a multitude of things.

This is what I was going to say.  Some people will think that you have gas, but it's not like they've never done the same thing.  >:D

LEMon

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 02:25:49 PM »
I suffer from severe migraines so have been doing this for a bit.

For those who know I use, "I'm sorry. I need to slip out now. Bye." And go. Anyone trying to talk more gets, "This is the best way to handle it. Talk to you later."

For those who don't know I warn them a head of time that I might need to leave quickly due to my health and if I do that I will say goodbye and then slip out. When the time comes, I use, "I'm not feeling well. I need to leave now. Thank you for understanding." and something about how I enjoyed my time.

When I am at home and need to take a break from the get-together, I use, "I'm going to slip out for a few minutes. I'll be back in a bit." or if I am done, I use, "I have enjoyed this but my body says I need to stop. I'm going to give you your goodbye hug now and disappear. I'm so glad you came."

It was so hard at first since I felt the pressure to stay from my own head's social rules and well meaning people who kept talking or questioned whether what I was doing was best. I learned to do what I needed to do which was make an advanced reminder that I might need to leave, say goodbye when I needed to, and leave.
Once I got myself in a pattern, I noticed that those I spend the most time have fit themselves to it. They don't question me and they let me go quickly.