News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 12:04:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hershey's Cocoa Crinkles - any hints?  (Read 703 times)

FoxPaws

Hershey's Cocoa Crinkles - any hints?
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:59:35 PM »
These are the chocolate cookies rolled in powdered sugar that crack when baked. I've made them before and one of my co-workers keeps asking for them, but I have a terrible time with the dough.

Even after refrigerating overnight, it's the consistency of peanut butter - very difficult to shape and roll in sugar. Does anyone have any tips? Has anyone ever tried making them as pan cookies (I'm experimenting with that as I type.)?

This is the recipe I'm using.
https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en_us/recipes/cocoa-crinkle-cookies.html

Thanks!
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Re: Hershey's Cocoa Crinkles - any hints?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »
I've made similar recipes, not that exact one, but I'd suggest adding a tablespoon or two more flour when batter is too soft or wet.
As for the culprit: Four eggs might add a lot of liquid if you're using eggs even slightly larger than those the recipe tester used, and your area's temperature or humidity could affect the outcome, too.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:08:09 PM »
Try this recipe instead. That one seems to have a very high ratio of oil to flour. This one also uses more cocoa powder than the one you linked.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9861/chocolate-crinkles-ii/

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
Yes, I know exactly what the problem is. The original recipe calls for 4 MEDIUM eggs. You are probably using large eggs.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

FoxPaws

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:37:27 PM »
Yes, I know exactly what the problem is. The original recipe calls for 4 MEDIUM eggs. You are probably using large eggs.
Actually...extra large.  :-\

The pan version didn't turn out badly, but it needs to bake a lot longer than the cookies and the crinkle isn't as pretty.

I've still got half a batch in the freezer. Once I make another, I'll cut back on the oil and try using smaller eggs.

Thanks for the tips!
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
Just use 2 XL eggs then :)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:52:58 PM »
I make cookies that look just like that, but are the short cut method.  You combine cake mix with egg and cool whip.  I might try the from scratch recipe now that I know one exists. 
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 06:06:46 AM »
I've run across a shortcut recipe using the tubes of sugar cookie dough as a starting point.

I like the cookies from cake mix, the ones I've had have been pretty soft, though, and not as crisp as a regular cookie.

GirlyGirl

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 05:55:54 AM »

EmmaJ.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 05:07:05 PM »
This recipe is very good:  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/chocolate-crinkle-cookie-recipe.html

Every single recipe I've ever made from Serious Eats has been totally outstanding.