News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 18, 2018, 05:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I think I know what "DH" means, but what does "DuH" mean?  (Read 1729 times)

snappylt

I think I know what "DH" means, but what does "DuH" mean?
« on: October 30, 2017, 02:09:10 PM »
On message boards like this one, "DH" stands for "Dear Husband" or "Darling Husband", doesn't it? That makes sense to me in the context.

What does "DuH" mean, then?

I have seen it used elsewhere online. A reference to the writer's husband would make sense in the context, but I am unfamiliar with the "u" in the middle.

(By the way, I tried looking it up myself, but all I found were references to the term "duh". I didn't find a definition for "DuH".)

Sophie Jenkins

Re: I think I know what "DH" means, but what does "DuH" mean?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 02:22:03 PM »
It's a play on DH and "duh" combined. An insult to the husband, basically.

knitwicca

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 02:22:31 PM »
It means a DH (Dear Husband) who is being a bit clueless, short-sighted, or just plain unaware.
It is a bit of a play on words... "DH had a duh moment so he is being a DuH"

snappylt

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 03:05:34 PM »
(I'm sorry. I seemingly can't resist...)

DUH!  Thank you. I should have been able figure that out for myself.

PS: It does seem insulting, doesn't it? I don't remember ever seeing it here on EH.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
It's not exactly insulting...it's more like an abbreviated way of saying I love him dearly, but he needs a clue by four on this particular subject/matter. He's having a Duh.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Chipmunky

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:55:34 AM »
On certain boards, the "U" stands for Unicorn.

As in, the spouse or significant other has this mythical dream or belief that if s/ he ignores passive aggressive, rude, or downright nasty or abusive behavior by other relatives or family members, everyone (their spouse, children, and the extended family of relatives, including in laws, siblings, cousins, etc) will be nice to everyone else and get along for the sake of being a family.

Even if this doesn't happen in reality; even if the result is that the spouse/children of the one with the Unicorn are treated terribly by others, to the detriment of their own well being and their relationship with the person with the Unicorn. Said unicorn owner may brush off these concerns or problems, as the offender is "family" and the Unicorn will allow treatment for the sake of "family".

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:55:14 PM »
Well, Cass just closed a thread (partly) because of the OP using DuH instead of DH. So I guess she does find it insulting.

(I'm with Dazi myself, in that it's meant lovingly, but thought I'd better update here, in case people come across this thread and not the locked one.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:23:21 AM by MariaE »

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 07:26:56 AM »
Well, Cass just closed a thread (partly) because of the OP using DuH instead of DH. So I guess she does find it insulting.

(I'm with Dazi myself, in that it's meant lovingly, but thoug I,d better update here, in case people come across this thread and not the locked one.)
Well context and intent is everything. It absolutely can be insulting if you mean it that way. I think most of the time it's not meant to be really insulting though.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:23:02 AM »

(I'm with Dazi myself, in that it's meant lovingly, but thought I'd better update here, in case people come across this thread and not the locked one.)
Well context and intent is everything. It absolutely can be insulting if you mean it that way. I think most of the time it's not meant to be really insulting though.

Agree on all points.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice