News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:35:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stuffing waffles for Thanksgiving - recipe needed  (Read 331 times)

GardenGal

Stuffing waffles for Thanksgiving - recipe needed
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
A lovely cafe we have visited 5 times in the last 4-5 months serves a delicious meal called "Thanksgiving Waffles," which I have gotten 4 out of the 5 times I've been there.  It is several generous slices of excellent white meat turkey (best I have ever had in a restaurant) served on top of a good sized waffle made of stuffing, with gravy and cranberry sauce on the side.  The waffle appears to have been made in a Belgian waffle maker and not the standard home-style waffle iron that has smaller indentations.  The "stuffing" is possibly a cornbread batter with very finely cut up carrots, celery, onions and parsley, plus some dried herbs (I'm thinking savory, sage, thyme, maybe a bit of garlic powder).

Has anyone got a recipe like this that would work in a home-style waffle maker?  I'd like to make this for Thanksgiving instead of standard stuffing (which I cook in a large pan).  Last year I made stuffing muffins and they were pretty good, but these waffles are outstanding.  Thanks!  I'm also going to email them and ask if they would share their recipe, but it would be good to have some options.  I'd probably make these the day before and heat them up just before serving dinner.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

LadyBe205

Re: Stuffing waffles for Thanksgiving - recipe needed
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:47:39 PM »
Never heard of them, so I Googled and found several recipes.   I love stuffing!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 07:43:42 AM »
I made them with boxed stuffing (first time ever buying it!) and they were delicious. I added just enough chicken broth to make them stick together. I also let them bake a little longer than a usual waffle.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Hmmmmm

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »
I've done stuffing waffles a couple of times. I just used my left over cornbread dressing but added an egg and a little bit of chicken broth to make it wetter. We served them with sausage gravy instead of turkey because we've usually already eaten all the turkey.

GardenGal

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:02:40 PM »
I made them with boxed stuffing (first time ever buying it!) and they were delicious. I added just enough chicken broth to make them stick together. I also let them bake a little longer than a usual waffle.

Do you remember what brand of mix you used?  I was concerned about the size of the indentations in my waffle iron, but will probably try a mix and see how it goes.  Thanks! 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »

Do you remember what brand of mix you used?  I was concerned about the size of the indentations in my waffle iron, but will probably try a mix and see how it goes.  Thanks!

Stove Top - cornbread flavor. I forgot to mention that I did add egg.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

GardenGal

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 02:05:01 PM »
I've done stuffing waffles a couple of times. I just used my left over cornbread dressing but added an egg and a little bit of chicken broth to make it wetter. We served them with sausage gravy instead of turkey because we've usually already eaten all the turkey.

Thanks for this suggestion.  I want to do the waffles with a fresh mix to replace my usual stuffing, so there won't be any leftover stuffing to make the waffles from.  Maybe I can try making my usual stuffing wetter and putting it directly in the waffle iron.  Gobble, gobble!

GardenGal

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:05:37 PM »

Stove Top - cornbread flavor. I forgot to mention that I did add egg.

Perfect - thanks!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:37:33 PM »
It sounds delicious  ;D

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:16:16 PM »
Stuffing waffles from Serious Eats. Be sure to read the comments as well.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data