News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 06:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Buy yourself a coat and I'll pay for it... eventually."  (Read 3890 times)

JacklynHyde

"Buy yourself a coat and I'll pay for it... eventually."
« on: November 10, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »
My mother insisted I go out to buy myself a new coat since the one I had was 20 years old and the lining was falling apart, saying she would send me a check to cover it (I'm in Ohio, she's in Florida). I did so a couple of weeks ago, finding one on sale at an outlet store, and I told her the price. Well, now the credit card statement is here. What is the best way to inquire if she's going to help? I don't want to be a gimme pig, but I would have made the old coat manage for another year if she hadn't made the offer and ask several times when I would make the purchase.

Queenbee123

• A royal pain...
Re: "Buy yourself a coat and I'll pay for it... eventually."
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 02:11:25 PM »
Maybe just mention to her casually that you are really glad you got the new coat because the old one was really overdue for replacement. You can then thank her again for the generous offer and let her know what a great deal you got on it, while also mentioning that the bill just arrived. Hopefully that will be her cue to say "Oh, how much should I send you?" or something along those lines....

miranova

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »
"Thank you so much for your offer of buying me a coat!  It was much needed.  The final price was $x".  Then say nothing and see what she says.

oogyda

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
"Hey, Mom.  My credit card statement arrived.  That reminded me to ask you for the payment.  It was $xx."

Unless, of course, your mother has a habit of saying she will pay for things and never does.  In that case, you should have known better.

I pay my credit card in full every month.  I wouldn't appreciate it if I ended up paying interest or having to scrape up the money to pay it on a failed promise.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Luci

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:27:41 PM »
Does your mother have a history of this type of thing or "borrowing" money?

Just remind her if not. If so, learn not to depend on her.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 06:37:18 AM »
Just ask her if she’s mailed the check yet.

rose red

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 08:25:09 AM »
All the above is good. Just come right out and ask/tell her.

If she doesn't send the money, look into the return policy so you're not stuck with the payment you didn't plan on spending.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:26:44 AM by rose red »

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
She offered to do it, you’re not a gimme pig and it sounds like you did your best to reduce the cost.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »
Send her a photo of you in the new coat with the caption "Got it on sale for only xx$!"
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

rain

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »
Open, have you contacted your mom yet?
In search of a tag line

JacklynHyde

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »
I mentioned the coat today (it was COLD yesterday) and thanked her again for it. Turns out she was hoping I'd also buy boots, and was holding off on helping me until I did that. I reminded her of my awesomely warm winter boots, and she's sending the check.

rain

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 04:45:35 PM »
...you had nothing to fear, but fear itself...
In search of a tag line

shabby

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 03:35:12 PM »
I mentioned the coat today (it was COLD yesterday) and thanked her again for it. Turns out she was hoping I'd also buy boots, and was holding off on helping me until I did that. I reminded her of my awesomely warm winter boots, and she's sending the check.

Mothers like this exist?  ;D

AngelicGamer

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »

Oh wow, I have a sister! ;D My mom's like this too when it comes to things she thinks I need and offers to buy / go half on it because it's an expensive item. "Oh, you only got x? I was hoping you'd get x+y because you need both" when I have a perfectly good y that I gently remind her of.

gramma dishes

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 03:45:38 PM »
Send her a photo of you in the new coat with the caption "Got it on sale for only xx$!"

I love this idea.  It's always so much fun to see what I bought for someone else.   :)