News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 09:58:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your Go-To Signature Dish  (Read 1698 times)

GardenGal

Re: Your Go-To Signature Dish
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 04:07:45 PM »
I do a very easy sweet & sour meatball dish which is very popular.  I use frozen precooked beef meatballs (about 1 ounce each).  Put them in a deep pot with your favorite tomato-based pasta sauce, a can of whole cranberry sauce, a handful of dried cranberries, and some red wine.  Heat thoroughly, and transport to a party wrapped in towels to keep it warm.

I also make very good hummus and deviled eggs (amazing how popular these are).
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
Dessert - Chocolate Chip Cookies

Main Dish - Turkey Curry - I get requests (variation on MIL's shrimp curry recipe - but fabulous for leftovers after Thanksgiving or Christmas for the past thirty or so years)... and/or Turkey Machacha (Mexican inspired filling for tortillas and taco shells - from a recipe in the Phoenix, Arizona newspaper in the early 1980s)

I think that all recipes are in the recipe folder on this site...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 06:56:08 PM »
Wild rice salad.  It's a bit of a take off on a Waldorf salad.

Wild rice, chopped apples, sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, I can't remember what else.  I think I posted it in the recipes folder at some point.  Then I garnish with toasted slivered almonds and either fresh or dried cranberries.  It's also nice with mandarin orange pieces.

It is a really hearty side, with high protein from the rice and a little sweet with the apples.  And it refrigerates really well and I eat the leftovers for a few days.  All for me, since DF doesn't like it.  :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 09:29:35 PM »
Spareribs/brisket/roast in the roaster and finished in the oven.

I cook them in my roaster for 12-18 hours.  On the morning I serve them, I take them out of the roaster and put them in a large pan and cover with sauce.  I'll cook them in the oven at 375 for about 90 min until the sauce is caramelized. So for Thanksgiving, I start them on Wednesday morning/afternoon and take them out on Thursday morning.

Ribs fall off the bone and everyone loves them.  The roast and brisket just fall apart.

You can also do them in a crockpot as well. 

Emmy

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 11:01:23 PM »
The ronzoni baked ziti recipe.  Easy to make and really tasty.

Shrimp orzo - shrimp, orzo pasta, tomatoes, basil, and feta cheese

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 02:42:52 AM »
Baked tuffed mushrooms are good, they will need to be put in the oven but they’re not to fussy about temperature. I usually add onions, garlic, diced spring onions and add them to breadcrumbs.

Another one I have is potato salad. I boil the potatoes in salt and vinegar water and gives it such a beautiful tangy taste. I also add cubes cheese, spring onion and bacon. This can be made the day before abd refrigerated. Add the mayo before serving.

I might need to make some. I love cold potatoes

Mayadoz

• Nobody is in charge of my happiness except me.
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 04:32:51 AM »
Similar to Katana_Gelder.... I stuff button mushrooms with minced garlic, chilli flakes and parsley, then top with dot of butter and a square of mozzarella or similar. Bake for about 25 minutes. They're delicious.

I also bake small potatoes, half them and scoop out the flesh once tender and mix with whatever I feel like (or have in) - cooked crispy bacon, green onions and cream cheese is a popular one. Then re-stuff the potato shells, grate Cheddar cheese or similar over the top and return to the oven for about 15 minutes.
Life is short. Buy the shoes. Drink the wine. Order the dessert.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 06:05:49 AM »
Broccoli salad.  Steam broccoli florets for 50 seconds then put in ice water.  This takes away the raw taste but still leaves them crispy crunchy.  Drain well and add dried cranberries (or raisins), crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese cubes and thinly sliced red onion.  Make the dressing with mayo, apple cider vinegar and a little sugar.

I always bring home an empty dish.  :)

Devils Advocate

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 09:13:33 AM »
Thank you all very much.  This will really up this holiday season!

Vall

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 11:10:20 AM »
I know you asked for a side dish but this is the only thing that I'm known for.  White chocolate cranberry cookies with brandy flavoring.  They're yummy.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10917/white-chocolate-and-cranberry-cookies/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%203

I use brandy flavoring instead of actual brandy and soak the craisins in warm water with 1t of brandy flavoring.  And I only use Ghirardelli white chips.  Everyone loves them.

crella

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
If I bring an appetizer, I do spiced mixed nuts-

One big container of mixed nuts (I use the Costco ones). I use the salted ones, it eliminates adding salt into the recipe and trying to blend it in, and it's just the right degree of saltiness.

Two egg whites, slightly beaten, just enough to loosen them up.

3/4 cup of sugar, mixed with a tablespoon of cinnamon. The original recipe (Fannie Farmer Cookbook) uses granulated sugar, I use kibitou, a powdery light brown sugar we have here that is more flavorful but less sweet than white sugar. I don't know if you'd have something similar...if not, the regular sugar is perfectly fine.

Stir the nuts into the egg white, drain a bit. You want the nuts coated enough that the sugar/cinnamon mix will stick, but you don't want egg white pooled on the baking sheet. Coat the nuts in the sugar and cinnamon and bake for one hour at 225F (110C), stirring every 15 minutes. Stir, but also turn them over. If they're not quite dried enough, another 10 minutes will do it.

These just vanish! Everybody loves them. The recipe done with just pecans is heavenly...

Other things I bring are my mother's cheesecake, eggplant parmesan, and 1960's chicken divan (with the Campbell's soup), which is another thing that disappears in the wink of an eye, which surprised me. I made it in a fit of nostalgia and didn't expect it to be that well-received. If you would like any of these recipes I'd be glad to put them up.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 12:22:16 AM »
Bourbon Maple Pumpkin Pie. I make it all from scratch, including roasting the pumpkin off myself, if the pie pumpkins are any good that year.

I also do a good cranberry sauce with star anise & port wine. If you want the recipes, I am sure I can find the sites I got them from. Any leftover cranberry sauce also mixes really well with vanilla yogurt.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mayadoz

• Nobody is in charge of my happiness except me.
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 04:11:11 AM »

One big container of mixed nuts (I use the Costco ones). I use the salted ones, it eliminates adding salt into the recipe and trying to blend it in, and it's just the right degree of saltiness.

3/4 cup of sugar, mixed with a tablespoon of cinnamon. The original recipe (Fannie Farmer Cookbook) uses granulated sugar, I use kibitou, a powdery light brown sugar we have here that is more flavorful but less sweet than white sugar. I don't know if you'd have something similar...if not, the regular sugar is perfectly fine.

Stir the nuts into the egg white, drain a bit. You want the nuts coated enough that the sugar/cinnamon mix will stick, but you don't want egg white pooled on the baking sheet. Coat the nuts in the sugar and cinnamon and bake for one hour at 225F (110C), stirring every 15 minutes. Stir, but also turn them over. If they're not quite dried enough, another 10 minutes will do it.

These just vanish! Everybody loves them. The recipe done with just pecans is heavenly...

Other things I bring are my mother's cheesecake, eggplant parmesan, and 1960's chicken divan (with the Campbell's soup), which is another thing that disappears in the wink of an eye, which surprised me. I made it in a fit of nostalgia and didn't expect it to be that well-received. If you would like any of these recipes I'd be glad to put them up.

Yum! Definitely trying this, thank you.  :)
Life is short. Buy the shoes. Drink the wine. Order the dessert.

Dawse

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 06:25:58 AM »
Swedish meatballs!

Approximate recipe:
For meatballs: 500g pork mince, 100g breadcrumbs, 1tbsp dried dill, 1tbsp mixed spice, salt and pepper
For sauce: 1tbsp each butter and plain flour, 250ml stock, 1tbsp Dijon mustard, 1tbsp dried dill, 50g dried cranberries  (or lingonberries if you can get them) and 3tbsp sour cream

Mix mince thoroughly with dry ingredients and shape into walnut sized balls. Heat some veg oil over medium heat, fry 3-4 mins until lightly coloured, then remove from pan and set aside.
Melt butter in the same pan. Add flour and stir thoroughly until smooth. Add stock and whisk to combine. Turn heat down slightly and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes until slightly thickened.
Stir in mustard, cranberries and dill. Return meatballs to pan, cover, and cook until warmed through. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream just before serving. Add extra sour cream if you like it rich, or leave it out if you don't care for it (although it is delicious with).
Serve with mash and green veg!

The meatballs can be made and part cooked the day before you want them, as the sauce is fairly quick and doesn't need much attending to.
You can also make this in a slow cooker or crockpot; make and part cook the meatballs, then make the sauce with an additional 100ml or so of water and add both to the slow cooker WITHOUT the sour cream. Cook on low for pretty much as long as you want, stirring occasionally if you remember, and gently stir through the sour cream just before serving.
'A troth, by the way, is a small furry creature with fins, the offspring of a trout and a sloth. I often wonder what they saw in each other, but then I suppose the sloth, being upside down, would tend to have a different slant on things.'

crella

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »

Yum! Definitely trying this, thank you.  :)

You're welcome!