News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 07:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best seafood  (Read 1496 times)

velly j

Best seafood
« on: January 02, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »

So, I have an absolute passion for fish and seafood of any and every kind.  Everything from lobster and langoustine and crab to the humble whiting, I adore. One of my New Year's resolutions is to cook more and more adventurously, so I would be very interested to hear what seafood recipes people like. My SO doesn't love fish as much as I do (and can't eat shellfish at all, as he is allergic) so meals for one would also be most welcome. Hit me with your best ideas!!

QueenfaninCA

Re: Best seafood
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:14:24 PM »
Get fresh mussels or clams (or a mix). Olive oil in saucpan on medium heat. Throw in some diced onion and a pit of chopped garlic. Once that is softened throw in a handful of chopped tomatoes (I like getting cherry tomatoes and just cutting them in half or quarters).  Simmer the tomatoes for a few minutes, then add a glass of white wine. Adding some Italian parsley at this point is optional. Throw in your mussels/clams. Out on lid and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Eat by itself or spoon over spaghetti.

If you have a Trader Joes nearby: Get the frozen seafood blend and thaw. Throw in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Drain. Chill. Make a dressing from lemon juice, garlic, Italian parsley (lots of it), salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss seafood in dressing.

Vall

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
One of my favorite meals that my DH makes is swai fillets with Kroger's roasted red pepper dressing, then wrapped in foil to bake.  I love it.  The dressing is great by itself too.  It's a wonderful flavor for the fish and low calorie too.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »
We eat fish at least 2 to 3 times weekly. The family favorite is grilled fish tacos. I marinate a white fish like cod, orange roughy or tilapia in a mixture of lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and a little olive or avocado oil for about 30 min to an hour. We usually grill the filets but you can pan sear them inside too. I then serve with a tomatillo salsa (store bought or homemade) and chopped cabbage or lettuce. For a side I make a salad of cucumber and tomatoes.

Another easy one is to dredge your fish filet in seasoned flour and pan fry in a little oil/butter mixture. Remove the fish and deglaze the pan with a little white wine and fish or chicken stock and then add a squeeze of lemon and some capers.

I also make something similar to this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1653/almondcrusted-fish-with-saffron-sauce but I add a little white wine to the sauce.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

RubyCat

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 07:45:06 PM »
I like to take a salmon filet and place it on a sheet of foil. I rub it with some olive oil, put some lemon slices over it and then sprinkle some capers over the fillets. I seal up the foil and the bake them until done. I usually serve them with broccoli and brown rice. 

Another one we like that is easy is to take a haddock or cod fillet and cover it with Ritz cracker crumbs. Dot with butter and bake until the fish is done.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 08:01:32 PM »
I found a really good shrimp with Feta sauce recipe last year that I make on a regular basis.  I also like to make corn and crab chowder by the bucket load. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:17:39 PM »
Beaufort Stew

https://www.thespruce.com/beaufort-stew-boil-3061116

Sooo delicious!

I'm from Louisiana and we just call that either a shrimp boil or crawfish boil depending on what the main seafood is. My family never put the sausage in it though because I am allergic to pork. Zatarain's is the only acceptable crab boil to use...I can't believe they even suggested Old Bay was an acceptable alternative  :P.  Sadly, I developed an allergy to shellfish, so now I can only have the potatoes and corn out of it (I pull out what I want before the shellfish is added for everyone else).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 03:02:53 AM »
"Scampi" provencal -

Onion chopped up in a pan with some olive oil. Once it's softened, toss in some chopped garlic for a minute, then add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, a glass of white wine and chopped parsley. Simmer for about ten minutes until it's thickened up, then add pre-cooked prawns*. Heat until the prawns are warmed through (about 2 minutes) and serve with rice.

*We use cooked fresh prawns (shrimp) for the convenience but you could easily use raw if you wanted (just add earlier in the process) or swap out prawns for tiger prawns, squid, scampi, or whatever suits your taste.

Dawse

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 03:13:32 AM »
Smoked haddock chowder:

1 fillet smoked haddock (or similar) per person
Bay leaves
Small waxy potatoes
Carrot
Onion
Fresh parsley
Plain flour
Milk
Black pepper
Small tin sweet corn (optional)

Dice onion; chop carrot and potato into 1cm cubes (you can peel if you like but I don't normally bother). Heat some veg oil in a large pan (non stick if you have one); when hot add veg and cook til onions and carrots are softened and potatoes are starting to colour.
Place the fish in a separate pan with the bay leaves and add hot water til just covered. Cook for 3-4 mins on a medium heat til the fish is just barely cooked - it will go from soft and translucent to firmer and more 'solid' looking - remove from the heat, cover and put to one side.
Once the veg is soft, add a generous tablespoon of plain flour and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly. Gradually add the water from the fish pan, stirring to mix evenly (leave the fillets in the pan. This is much easier if you use a small ladle instead of trying to pour from one pan to another - my kitchen floor and I can attest to that).
After you have added most of the water, turn the heat up slightly and cook for around five minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the sweet corn if using (I don't normally bother to drain) and gradually add milk until you have a consistency you're happy with. Add the fish and heat through. You can break the fish up into flakes if you want to, although I normally leave it in large pieces.
Once everything is heated through, ladle into warm bowls and top with fresh parsley and a crack of black pepper.

I make this fairly regularly in the winter as it's delicious comfort food. It's also easy to scale up and down for different numbers of people. It also reheats surprisingly well; add a generous splash of hot water and gently bring up to temperature in a pan. I don't have a microwave so can't speak for how well that would work, but you would probably still need a bit of water as the chowder thickens quite a bit on standing.
'A troth, by the way, is a small furry creature with fins, the offspring of a trout and a sloth. I often wonder what they saw in each other, but then I suppose the sloth, being upside down, would tend to have a different slant on things.'

rose red

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »
I like to take a salmon filet and place it on a sheet of foil. I rub it with some olive oil, put some lemon slices over it and then sprinkle some capers over the fillets. I seal up the foil and the bake them until done. I usually serve them with broccoli and brown rice. 

Salmon with the lemon, herbs, etc. wrapped in foil and cooked on a bbq grill is good too. And I don't normally like salmon.

Since your SO can't eat shellfish, fish cakes are a good substitute for crab cakes.

velly j

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
Thank you all so much for these wonderful suggestions! I am going to make Goan fish curry tomorrow, but I will be sure to try all of these over the next few weeks. Thanks again!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 02:44:17 PM »
I like to do scrambled eggs topping smoked salmon on toast for dinner. It's quick and delicious.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

lilfox

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »
We had leftover lobster from a holiday meal and leftover spaghetti noodles from another meal, and I made scampi with it as an experiment.  Didn't quite make enough sauce so it wasn't saucy but the taste was excellent.

Usually I just broil salmon that's been brushed with olive oil and salt-and-peppered, that's the fastest, and serve a sauce on the side (we have some picky eaters!).  I started doing a baked version with a lemon-miso paste-soy marinade and that was popular.  Goes well with rice and veggies or with roasted potatoes/veggies.  My MIL wraps salmon fillets in foil with ranch dressing and slices of lemon, people seem to like that too.

If you're okay with sushi or partly raw fish, by far my personal favorite is tuna (sashimi-grade ahi) steaks marinated in a miso paste-soy sauce-brown sugar mix, coated with sesame seeds, and pan seared on high heat for about a minute per side so the inside stays raw.  Served over rice with edamame and steamed broccoli on the side.

metallicafan

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 10:42:10 PM »
I'm not real big on seafood, but I adore shrimp.
I like to bread them myself. Coat in flour, then egg, and Panko breadcrumbs for extra crunchiness.
I pan fry them in canola oil until golden and crunchy on the outside.