News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 07:27:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ashley Wagner's Sour Grapes  (Read 1389 times)

BeagleMommy

Ashley Wagner's Sour Grapes
« on: January 08, 2018, 02:36:57 PM »
Figure skater Ashley Wagner is "furious" over her scores that placed her 4th at the U.S. Nationals.  Apparently, even though she placed 5th after the short program she thinks she should have placed higher after the free.  I notice she didn't feel this way after the judges sent her to Sochi over Mirai Nagasu in 2014.

I watched the skating and, in my humble opinion, she wasn't as good as the three who were chosen to go.

She has a right to her opinion, of course, but the polite thing to do would have been to say "I respect the judges opinion and wish the team well".

rose red

Re: Ashley Wagner's Sour Grapes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »
I was never a fan of her or her skating and this just confirm my opinion. Who does she think she should jump over this time? The gold medalist? Mirai again?! (I. Was. Furious. four years ago). Last year's gold medalist and bronze this year? I really think handing her a spot last time went to her head and now she thinks she better than she actually is and entitled to medal in all competitions even though she brings nothing new each year and even flub her moves.

I heard she didn't do the exhibitions gala. Mirai did it four years ago even though she couldn't help but cry during it. Ashley needs to look at Jason Brown who accepted he didn't skate his best and doesn't expect titles handed to him. And the men's silver medalist (my favorite of that night's competition who skated to Queen) who was left off the Olympic team. I'm sure he's furious and disappointed but I haven't heard him throwing a tempter tantrum (correct me if I'm wrong, not that I would blame him).

edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:57:34 PM by rose red »

PastryGoddess

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 03:48:58 PM »
I remember the hoopla last Olympics and I believe the reason Ashley got the spot over Mirai is because it was her scores at the Grand Prix that got the US the third spot in the Olympics. So I do think she deserved the third spot over Mirai.  This year her skating has been horrendous AND she admitted that her technical elements sucked.  She wanted a higher artistic score but even then she would have still come in 4th place. 

I think it's time for her to bow out of figure skating professionally.  She's not getting any better and at her best, she wasn't all that great.  Go on tour, become a coach, become an commentator....something. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:52:10 AM by PastryGoddess »

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »
I think I prefer the school of thought where, when asked how a player feels about being beaten by Team X, the player responds, "They outplayed us today."  Simple and polite.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

rose red

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
I think I prefer the school of thought where, when asked how a player feels about being beaten by Team X, the player responds, "They outplayed us today."  Simple and polite.

Even "I'm disappointed" is understandable. Throwing a hissy fit and insulting those ahead of you is not someone I respect. I learned in grade school it's easy to be a good winner, but much more admirable to be a good loser. I can understand standing up for yourself if there *is* an injustice, but if she actually watched her own performance without rose-colored glasses compared to the others, she has nothing to fight the judges for.

vintagegal

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:34:53 PM »
she should have gone into speed skating or some other sport where "judgment" does not enter into the winning or losing. She knew what she signed up for, now she should zip it.

Does she really think badmouthing judges is going to impact POSITIVELY on her career?

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
I didn't watch the event, so I don't know how she skated. I can, however, say that complaining on Twitter is not a great plan for handling problems with judges.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:58:20 AM »
Seems like a real class act, that one.   ::)

Something similar happened at the end of the Junior World Hockey Championships.  The captain of the Swedish team was distraught that they lost the gold medal and threw his silver medal into the stands!   :o  The gentleman who caught it was very gracious; he actually had three sweaters on - the Rochester Americans, the local AHL team, another one that I don't recall and on the bottom of the pile was a Sweden jersey.  He peeled down to that one and had his picture taken, wearing the medal, and then found security to get him to Sweden's dressing room so he could return the medal.

The comments I've read from sports reporters talked about how the kid was only 18 and it was a high pressure situation and hopefully, he'll learn from this experience.  (And boys mature later than girls so an 18 year old boy is still very much a kid in a way that 18 year old girls aren't, generally speaking.)

I suspect Ms. Wagner won't.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »
I didn't watch the event, so I don't know how she skated. I can, however, say that complaining on Twitter is not a great plan for handling problems with judges.

Oh it wasn't just on twitter.  She ranted that night in front of the press for a good 4-5 min about how furious she was at her low score (that she totally deserved). 

vintagegal

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 05:30:22 PM »
seems to me there was another female figure skater 15-20 years ago who pulled something similar. Maybe the sport attracts divas.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »
She appeared on the Today show yesterday and it was more of the same tripe.  How she has been skating for 22 years (she's 26), how she wanted to go to this Olympics, blah blah blah.

Sorry, Ashley, Mirai Nagasu has been skating just as long.  Frankly, every skater than enters competitive skating wants to go to the Olympics.  There are only three spots.  I believe, there were 28 skaters.  Only 10 got to skate the long program and only 3 (plus 2 alternates) get to go to the Olympics.  You came in 4th out of 28.  Time to act your age.

rose red

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 02:52:46 PM »
She appeared on the Today show yesterday and it was more of the same tripe.  How she has been skating for 22 years (she's 26), how she wanted to go to this Olympics, blah blah blah.

Psssst Ashley. Wanna know a secret? Mirai wanted to go the last time.

Entitled much? ::) Does she even think about anyone but herself or doesn't she care who gets bumped as long as she gets what she wants?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:54:24 PM by rose red »

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 09:15:42 PM »

Oh it wasn't just on twitter.  She ranted that night in front of the press for a good 4-5 min about how furious she was at her low score (that she totally deserved).

Oh, dear. I hope she gets some PR advice stat.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

PastryGoddess

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 12:08:20 AM »

Oh, dear. I hope she gets some PR advice stat.

She did get up and publicly congratulate the three who got in.  But you could tell her teeth were clenched. 

Here's the thing, she absolutely deserved to go to the Olympics over Mirai in 2014.  Mirai had a horrible 2013 season and never even competed in the major events.  Ashley was the US Champion AND her scores at the world champs helped the US get that third spot.  Mirai dropped her appeal when she realized her record didn't hold up.  But Ashley's 2016-17 season...was super uneven. She did great at US events and sucked at international events.  Mirai on the other hand was very consistent and worked her butt off to make sure her domestic and international record was good. 

vintagegal

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 07:06:27 AM »
Not to be a nit-picker, but technically this is not "Sour Grapes." That would be if she didn't make it, and pouted, "Well I didn't want to go anyway."

This is just poor sportsmanship.