News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 18, 2018, 05:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An 'off' smell in your home . . . what to look for?  (Read 2118 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: An 'off' smell in your home . . . what to look for?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 07:11:17 AM »
I smell electrical ozone burning smell when lighbulbs or ballasts are going bad in fluorescent or incandescent lights, when batteries or plugs are overheating, and when something is starting to short wiring.

I've never had it be phantom or related to hormonal or migraine symptoms with me. YMMV

So far, I've caught half a dozen electrical issues at work, and dozens at home.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
Our weird smell was the old plastic light fitting. Just a standard white ceiling rose and bulb holder.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »
The major one at our old townhouse was a track light system where the housing was starting to melt.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

PennyandPleased

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
Washer and dryer need to be cleaned? Clean your lint trap? Garbage disposal? Coffee maker?

Do you have radiators? They may need to be cleaned or something fell behind one and is melting.

GreenHall

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 01:13:44 PM »
I had an electric blanket once that smelled...wierd...when I plugged it in.  Was trying to both look closer and not turn on light, and realized it was spitting sparks...so I'm going electrical too.

I do have a new humidifier going in my office, and that's the only change that would create the sweet-ish scent that's weirding me out now...

jpcher

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »
Thanks, everybody!

Also you can call fire department

https://www.ragsdaleair.com/blog/electrical-smells-fire-or-something-else/

http://www.firefighternation.com/articles/2012/07/investigating-strange-odors.html

Is your refrigerator clean?

These were very informative links, thank you!

I am sure you have checked wires, plugs, etc.

I did, after the gas people left. I looked at everything that was plugged in (plastic plugs, maybe melting) but everything looked good. Didn't feel around switches until after I read your responses. I also poked my head into the attic when I got home from work today (after reading responses) and there is no odor up there. Most of the home lighting is recessed so all of that electrical work is up in the attic.

Does anyone else smell the same smell? Sometimes a virus or hormonal fluctuations can cause weird things to us.

DD#2 was sitting outside on our patio for a good hour before/during the gas people's inspection (I went inside with them). When she came back inside she said she didn't smell anything (reason for my "I think I'm going crazy" comment.) I didn't ask the gas people if they smelled anything. :-[

When my house started getting a weird smell, it turned out the water heater need replacing.

I'll have to look into that. It seems that the hot water isn't coming out as quickly as it has in the past. But we've been having some extremely frigid weather lately so I'm not surprised.

Washer and dryer need to be cleaned? Clean your lint trap?

Thank you for pointing this out. I do need to have a conversation (again) with DD#2. She's been doing laundry the last few days and she has a propensity to not clean the lint filter. ::) I do my laundry every 2 weeks and there is normally a build up in the lint trap. After reading your post I went down and checked, yup, the lint trap was full.

I thought about my heater, since it's been extremely frigid around here for the past 2+weeks it's been working double-time. I realized that I haven't changed my filter (a month overdue). I replaced the filter today. I also thought about something, maybe, in the duct work was causing the odor.

This morning when I woke up and got ready for work I did not notice a smell, but I slept in it all night so that didn't surprise me, got used to the smell. However, once I opened my bedroom door the order smacked me. So, it's not the duct work.

When I came home from work today, I walked into the house to an aroma of . . . fresh baked bread (DD#2 had bread in the oven ;D). Nothing else, the bread probably overtook the off smell.

Hopefully replacing the furnace filter and/or cleaning out the lint filter will solve the problem.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and suggestions. If the problem persists tomorrow (I still smell the bread) I will call an electrician for an inspection.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »
I once tracked a truly horrible odor down to a rotting potato in my pantry...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

BarensMom

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 10:33:21 PM »
While we’re on the subjects of smells:

I recently moved into an older apartment complex.  The hallway always has that “hotel” smell (cleaning product, cigarette smoke, etc.), but up to now my apartment smelled like paint and whatever I’d been doing that day.  However, I came home after a day out day before yesterday and the apartment smelled like “forty thousand years of funk.”  It wasn’t until I turned the bedroom light on that I realized it was coming from my ceiling - two huge brown stains and flaking texture - right over my bed!     There was a leak in the unoccupied apartment above me and it finally showed itself.  It’ll be a week before they can fix (has to dry out).

In the meantime, it still smells, even with leaving the windows open 12 hours/day.  Any ideas?

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 12:25:00 AM »
A shallow bowl of white vinegar will even control decomp of dead *something* in the wall....just don’t let the bowl go dry....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Runningstar

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 05:53:20 PM »
jpcher - please check the batteries in your smoke detector right now.  I hope that you figure out what is going on asap.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »
I think I'm going crazy. Both yesterday and today I came home from work and smelled something that wasn't right in my house. Maybe a burnt plastic type of smell, but that's not quite an accurate description. It was stronger today than yesterday.

I called my gas company and had them come out for an inspection. They found a very small leak with a pipe going to my water heater system, they tightened the connection, tested again and said "It wasn't bad enough to cause an oder throughout your home."

Walking through my home I can't really detect if the smell is stronger in one place or the other.

My home is clean, kitty litter taken care of, drains run smoothly, laundry done, garbage taken out . . .

But there's a bad smell in my home . . . what else would you look for?

If you have neighbors nearby, check with them as well, just so you don't spend a lot of energy and eventually find out that your neighbor accidentally burned something plastic, and it's now in the trash can outside their house. (This probably isn't the answe
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 07:38:07 PM »
Actually, question one, can anyone else smell this mystery smell?
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jpcher

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 12:15:53 PM »
jpcher - please check the batteries in your smoke detector right now.  I hope that you figure out what is going on asap.

Done. The batteries were changed NYeve. Thank you for your thought.

Actually, question one, can anyone else smell this mystery smell?

;) from above:

Does anyone else smell the same smell? Sometimes a virus or hormonal fluctuations can cause weird things to us.

DD#2 was sitting outside on our patio for a good hour before/during the gas people's inspection (I went inside with them). When she came back inside she said she didn't smell anything (reason for my "I think I'm going crazy" comment.) I didn't ask the gas people if they smelled anything. :-[

I once tracked a truly horrible odor down to a rotting potato in my pantry...

Ding! Ding! Ding! DD#2 told me (after my last post) that she forgot about her brown paper sack full of green tomatoes from her garden that she put in our pantry so that they would ripen. She said it was a gross mess of rotten tomatoes.

The smell is gone! ;D

I want to thank everybody for your caring and considerate thoughts and suggestions. It's members like you that make this site wonderful! ;D

jpcher

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
While we’re on the subjects of smells:

I recently moved into an older apartment complex.  The hallway always has that “hotel” smell (cleaning product, cigarette smoke, etc.), but up to now my apartment smelled like paint and whatever I’d been doing that day.  However, I came home after a day out day before yesterday and the apartment smelled like “forty thousand years of funk.”  It wasn’t until I turned the bedroom light on that I realized it was coming from my ceiling - two huge brown stains and flaking texture - right over my bed!     There was a leak in the unoccupied apartment above me and it finally showed itself.  It’ll be a week before they can fix (has to dry out).

In the meantime, it still smells, even with leaving the windows open 12 hours/day.  Any ideas?

Ugh! My first thought is mold. When they come out to fix the damage I suggest that you make sure they treat both your ceiling and the apartment above with mold-remover stuff.

Mikayla

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
Glad you solved it!  For posterity's sake, I'll add one more possibility that has happened to me twice:  something plastic adhering to a coil in the oven.  Both involved user error and careless handling of pizzas.  Oy.