News:

• February 25, 2018, 09:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need help being polite and gracious here  (Read 4071 times)

TurtleDove

Re: I need help being polite and gracious here
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 08:38:36 AM »
“How they think I can survive on that is beyond me.”

This employer seems rather shady, but I wanted to address this. It is up to you to ensure you are making enough money to support yourself. I doubt the employer has thought about how much money *you* need. An employer is concerned with what work they need to accomplish. I didn’t hear you say that this was a bait and switch situation in which you accepted a job with 40 hours a week at $XX per hour plus benefits and then they only gave you a handful of hours. Be sure you know what job you are accepting next time and that it fits with your goals.

rose red

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »

This employer seems rather shady, but I wanted to address this. It is up to you to ensure you are making enough money to support yourself. I doubt the employer has thought about how much money *you* need. An employer is concerned with what work they need to accomplish. I didn’t hear you say that this was a bait and switch situation in which you accepted a job with 40 hours a week at $XX per hour plus benefits and then they only gave you a handful of hours. Be sure you know what job you are accepting next time and that it fits with your goals.

I was thinking the same thing. It's not an employer's job to wonder or care about their workers financial situation. Otherwise, some people won't need to work two or three jobs because they need all of them to survive. It's up to you to accept or decline offers.

gollymolly2

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 12:40:19 PM »

Totally agree.

OP, it sounds like this place wasn't a good place to work. But based on your posts over the years, it sounds like you really struggle to keep continuous employment. I strongly suggest you seek out help from an employment counselor soon so you can change the trend.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 02:19:03 PM »

Totally agree.

OP, it sounds like this place wasn't a good place to work. But based on your posts over the years, it sounds like you really struggle to keep continuous employment. I strongly suggest you seek out help from an employment counselor soon so you can change the trend.

I have a paper in my room in my bosses handwriting. On it is written:

Preschool Room WageAmount 37 hours a week.

I currently work 17 hours a week if i am lucky... in the school age room. It was definitely a bait and switch scenario. ANd yes, I will admit, I struggle to find full time employment. Everyone does. This town isn't a good one to work. They pay minimum and expect us to live off of it, which you can,if you have two full time jobs. But I take the bus right now, and can't do that.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »
What's their incentive to give you more work when you're never on time? You said in the hugs thread you've been late for almost every shift because you won't take an earlier bus. Being on time is like the first rule of having a job.

Yeah, this place doesn't sound on the up and up, but you aren't coming out of this smelling like a model employee either.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »
What's their incentive to give you more work when you're never on time? You said in the hugs thread you've been late for almost every shift because you won't take an earlier bus. Being on time is like the first rule of having a job.

Yeah, this place doesn't sound on the up and up, but you aren't coming out of this smelling like a model employee either.

They knew when I take the bus I would be late. They knew this going in, that I take the bus. I tell all of my employers that up front. In fact, they make me leave early so I can catch the bus home so I don't go home in the dark. And like I said, going in early is *not* an option. They *will* make me work off the clock. The only places I can go are: a wendy's, a bank, or a church. The church looks abandoned and I dunno if its even open, the bank is a no go, and I am *not* spending money I don't have just to have someplace warm to sit. When its nice out, I do walk to work so I am not late. But they understand not everyone has cars and can drive themselves to work.

For them honestly me not being on time is not a problem. That just means they have to pay me less, which works out in their favor. I understand this as well, and sign in the time I come in (usually only five minutes late) and they let me leave ten minutes early so i can catch the bus.

Please know that all of my employers are okay with me being five minutes late. That is not the issue here. The issue here is that I am the only employee who:

Gets a text stating whether she is to work or not.
Gets her pay a week and a day late. (on one occasion)
Gets told off about doing her job. (i get yelled at for mostly everything I do)
Has not gotten her pay stubs in a month.

They have not said anything about me coming in late. And if you think that bothers them... it doesn't. Trust me. I would be the first to know if they had a problem with me coming in late. I mean they tell me off about everything else. (No lie, I got yelled at for *mopping* once).

gollymolly2

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 03:52:24 PM »
The issue here is that I am the only employee who:

Ok, so why do you think you are being singled out?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2018, 03:59:25 PM »
Let's be honest, this place is a dumpster fire and there's no way to salvage any kind of relationship with the employer. They do not respect you enough to pay you, you do not get many hours, you do not owe them any notice at all.

Paying you in cash is so shady and my imagination runs wild thinking about what their books probably look like. Cash is untraceable and the idea of index cards...I come from a background of doing payroll by hand at times but wowzah.

Get paid for everything they owe you and tell them that you are no longer available to work for them, given your schedule changing. Even if you did two weeks notice, you say you run the risk of just being fired anyways, you're not using this woman for a reference!

That's  my plan. I got paid yesterday. A week and a day late. ALso, stilll didn't get my pay stubs. But apparently am getting my W2s this week. Plus, I only worked 11 hours. I am the only one who works so little hours, and they think everything is hunky dory.  ::) How they think I can survive on that is beyond me. At any rate, I am going to work this last week, and then I am gone this Friday coming. I feel like i should celebrate ><

Truthfully, I would be done now, unless you think you will actually be paid for any hours you might work this upcoming week. 
Also, if this were me, I would report this business to the state.   There are so many things being done wrong, it boggles my mind.   

This. And I might report them to the IRS as well, as I doubt they are doing anything on the up-and-up, including actually reporting/paying any withholding.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Nikko-chan

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2018, 04:51:11 PM »

Nepotism probably. Person A has worked there for 15 years and now  her daughter works with her (you really don't need two people in that room for 3 to 5 toddlers)

Person B (the girl who took over my preschoolers after I only had three days with them) is the Admins (who is the owners daughter) best friend ever. PErson B doesn't even *want* the preschoolers, nor does she have *any* experience working with them. The most she does with them is crafts and flashcards. I on the other hand at least have some experience in working with this age group. She has told me several times she doesn't want the preschoolers and wish they would have kept me with them.

I have no idea why I am not with the Preschoolers honestly. They were doing okay with me, and I was doing the exact same thing the owner did with them when she had the preschool class the year before. It wasn't like I was reinventing the wheel.

gollymolly2

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »

Nepotism probably. Person A has worked there for 15 years and now  her daughter works with her (you really don't need two people in that room for 3 to 5 toddlers)

Person B (the girl who took over my preschoolers after I only had three days with them) is the Admins (who is the owners daughter) best friend ever. PErson B doesn't even *want* the preschoolers, nor does she have *any* experience working with them. The most she does with them is crafts and flashcards. I on the other hand at least have some experience in working with this age group. She has told me several times she doesn't want the preschoolers and wish they would have kept me with them.

I have no idea why I am not with the Preschoolers honestly. They were doing okay with me, and I was doing the exact same thing the owner did with them when she had the preschool class the year before. It wasn't like I was reinventing the wheel.

Cool. Look, you certainly know your situation much better than some strangers over the Internet. And everyone can have a bad employer. It's up to you to look at your employment history and figure out if its always the employers, or if you're doing something that makes the job not work out.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2018, 05:19:16 PM »
I hope this isn't a dogpile but if you walk in the door at 1:35 and then have to put your things away, then sign in, then start work; signing in for 1:45 doesn't seem unreasonable especially considering they let you go 10 minutes early at the end of the day.

Most jobs you have to be there and ready to start at the time your shift starts which really means being there early. Most jobs where you have to punch a clock, if you punch in more than 5 minutes after start time it takes away 1/4 hour to make you in essence 15 minutes late even if you were actually only 6 minutes late.

Are you getting paid for the 10 minutes they let you go early?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
I hope this isn't a dogpile but if you walk in the door at 1:35 and then have to put your things away, then sign in, then start work; signing in for 1:45 doesn't seem unreasonable especially considering they let you go 10 minutes early at the end of the day.

Most jobs you have to be there and ready to start at the time your shift starts which really means being there early. Most jobs where you have to punch a clock, if you punch in more than 5 minutes after start time it takes away 1/4 hour to make you in essence 15 minutes late even if you were actually only 6 minutes late.

Are you getting paid for the 10 minutes they let you go early?

I go in and sign in on the sign in sheet. The sign in sheet is a physical piece of paper.  The one time I disputed it she told me to sign in at 1:40, even though my phone said 1:35, and their actual wall clocks were 5 minutes off. I even showed her my phone. And No I don't get paid for those ten minutes I leave early.

And gollymolly2 the retail job wasn't working out because they didn't have enough hours for me. And it wasn't just me, but  I couldn't justify riding the bus for just a few hours a week. And I wanted to get into a new industry anyway. They understood that, and we parted amicably.

At the first daycare, I had to report one of my coworkers for child abuse. She was harming the kids. When my workplace got the (what was supposed to be anonymous) report, my name was attached. Which violates whistleblower law. At any rate, I got fired for being a whistleblower. I only found out through the place we go through online for our training. They didn't actually *tell* me I was fired. By then my mom was really sick and I didn't give two flying figs whether I was fired or not. Then I got this job, but I didn't realize how hinky everything was.

HannahGrace

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
Does your college have a career center where you can talk to someone about the job application process and what to look for in a position? I think you could use some assistance based on what you’ve said here about these jobs.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 06:38:42 PM »
Does your college have a career center where you can talk to someone about the job application process and what to look for in a position? I think you could use some assistance based on what you’ve said here about these jobs.

I don't go to college. I am getting my CDA online. Basically pay on a course by course basis while working at a daycare so i can get my hours in, and then be observed by someone when i am ready and have the requisite hours in, and then take the written test.

TurtleDove

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »

I don't go to college. I am getting my CDA online. Basically pay on a course by course basis while working at a daycare so i can get my hours in, and then be observed by someone when i am ready and have the requisite hours in, and then take the written test.

OP, it may make sense to really consider your goals and how you will get there. I don’t know what a CDA is or what your career goals are, but based on your posts here, working with children does not appear to be a strength for you. I also catch a tone in your posts that, if an employer also senses, is not an asset to you. You are there to be a value add to your employer, not the other way around. Your descriptions of your various workplaces are rather shocking in that this is not typical, and your responses for “why” you are treated differently than everyone else seem off, given the consistency across employers. If I were you, I would consider a job with an established company to make money while you earn the degree for whatever career you desire.