News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 04:15:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Apartment noise.  (Read 4750 times)

velly j

Re: Apartment noise.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 02:19:58 PM »
I'm picturing having to listen to "BAM thump whump bam THUMP pow bam bam bam bam WHUMP" for an hour every single day, and I'm sorry, but I'm thinking that the punch dummy is just not something that's appropriate for apartment living.  Even outside of quiet hours, it's still not fair to your neighbors to be regularly making a ton of noise like that.  Is there a gym nearby that your son can use?

I have to agree with this. If it was once a week, or for a shorter time, I would say that the neighbours should suck it up. But for nearly an hour every day? No, I'm afraid that is too much. Particularly if you are going to be sewing as well. The sewing wouldn't bother me so much (and I really like the PP's suggestions of a noise deadening mat) but you can't really have two noisy daily activities emanating from one apartment without becoming 'those' neighbours.

Isisnin

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »
Is the bag on some sort of stand that's on the floor? That would explain sound traveling. Try putting it on a thick rug. that could significantly deaden the sound.

I had a neighbor who had thick rugs with pads and draperies. Rarely did I hear a sound from her place. In contrast, I heard much from the neighbors before and after her who kept the bare hardwood floors and had limited window treatments.

And try moving it away from the shared wall (if it's near it).

BeagleMommy

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »
I would try talking to the neighbors first.  Ask them if they would mind him using the punching dummy on alternating days (or whatever might be appropriate and reasonable).  They also may not have understood that it was a punching dummy making the noise.  That kind of thumping could easily be mistaken for other types of noise.  See if you can negotiate with them.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »
I would try talking to the neighbors first.  Ask them if they would mind him using the punching dummy on alternating days (or whatever might be appropriate and reasonable).  They also may not have understood that it was a punching dummy making the noise.  That kind of thumping could easily be mistaken for other types of noise.  See if you can negotiate with them.

ITA. Maybe the time your son chooses to work out is also someone's nap time!  I'd ask if there was a better time for the workout and also try some of the suggestions to muffle the sound.

SiotehCat

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! It gave me much to think about and consider! I appreciate it.

Kittens1988

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »
My fiance got a punching dummy around two years ago, but hasn't used it much (when I'm in our apartment anyway!) as he gets *the look* from me every time as it's so noisy, our cat doesn't like it either! We've been house-hunting for the last few months, so he's looking forward to using his once we move as he can put it in the shed or garage!

Maybe your son could put some kind of foam/padding around his to lessen the noise or try to hit it a lot lighter? I agree with rose red's post about arranging times with your neighbour(s) when it can be used as well if they're open to discussing a compromise.

m2kbug

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »
I really don't know much about the punching dummy or the level of noise it creates, but you state that there is one in the living room and one in the bedroom, and he avoids use of the living room one because of noise after a certain time.  AFTER a certain time, which suggests to me that he is using the bedroom dummy in the evening or night.  Given apartments and townhomes are mirror opposites, is he using his bedroom punching dummy at a time when the neighbor is trying to go to bed, and the neighbor's bedroom is wall-to-wall?  Watching some TV, reading, laptop or computer time, getting ready for a long winter nap?  Are they early to bed?  Maybe he needs to be using the downstairs dummy instead because the neighbors are upstairs at that time of night or evening trying to sleep or relax.  If the dummy makes that much noise, perhaps he needs to look into a gym membership or boxing membership. 

I doubt the sewing machine would be that obtrusive unless you have some turbo machine with no muffler like those noisy cars.

I also agree on an end time.  One hour or two?  I agree that with an end in sight, it makes intolerable noise significantly more tolerable. 

browzer11

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »
"I'm picturing having to listen to "BAM thump whump bam THUMP pow bam bam bam bam WHUMP" for an hour every single day, and I'm sorry, but I'm thinking that the punch dummy is just not something that's appropriate for apartment living.  Even outside of quiet hours, it's still not fair to your neighbors to be regularly making a ton of noise like that.  Is there a gym nearby that your son can use?".

I agree completely. 

A punching bag has no place in an apartment building. That sound (regardless of the time) would drive me crazy. Take it some place else.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 10:51:43 AM »
I grew up in an apartment, and there are certain things that just aren't considerate when you share walls with someone, or when your floor is their ceiling.
Any kind of activity with impact, regardless of how much you pad the area, will affect your neighbours. Not just the sound, the vibration. If you're punching a dummy in your room, the floor/wall will vibrate. If I have anything on the adjacent wall, it will rattle, and that can be infuriating. And even the muted sound of hitting a dummy would be irritating. Everyday life sounds - radio, TV (with reasonable volume), showers, toilets flushing - all those things are expected.
I agree with the posters who have said that this is not an activity for apartment life.

lkdrymom

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 11:48:47 AM »
My son had a punching bag hanging from a rafter in the basement and I swear the house shook when he used it. Cannot imagine one of those things in a apartment.

SiotehCat

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »
My son had a punching bag hanging from a rafter in the basement and I swear the house shook when he used it. Cannot imagine one of those things in a apartment.

My sons punching dummy doesn't shake the house. When I'm in the house, I can hear him using it, but it's not any louder than the normal noise I'm hearing. I usually tune it out.

The one he has in his bedroom is not hanging from anything. It has its own base that's filled with water or sand, so it can be moved around. And the actual punching part of it is very light because this particular bag is suppose to help him bob and weave, I guess?

The one in the living room is one of the those dummies that looks like a man. It's a different noise when he punches that thing.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »
An apartment is NOT a place for a punching bag or dummy. I don't care if it's for an hour or only for 15 minutes during broad daylight. It's not just the noise, it's the vibration.

Many years ago my neighbor had one and I had to get the landlord to intervene in the matter. Using it caused pictures and mirrors to vibrate off the walls. In the kitchen, the cabinets wouldn't stay shut and the dishes in the cabinets would rattle constantly. The landlord made him get rid of the darn thing though when the vibrations knocked the bathroom mirror off the mounts.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jpcher

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »

My sons punching dummy doesn't shake the house. When I'm in the house, I can hear him using it, but it's not any louder than the normal noise I'm hearing. I usually tune it out.

The one he has in his bedroom is not hanging from anything. It has its own base that's filled with water or sand, so it can be moved around. And the actual punching part of it is very light because this particular bag is suppose to help him bob and weave, I guess?

The one in the living room is one of the those dummies that looks like a man. It's a different noise when he punches that thing.

lkdrymom -- Ooooh, yeah. LDH had one mounted to the basement rafters. I had to leave the house whenever he used it. I'm glad to hear that this is not what SiotehCat is talking about.

SiotehCat -- First bold, even though your in the house, are you on the first level? If so, I think the sound would be more muted as opposed to being just on the other side of the wall. Plus you're used to the noise so you can tune it out.

Second bold -- does the one in the living room make less noise? Maybe switch the two?

Other posters mentioned moving the PD to an inside area so that it's not next to an adjoining wall. I agree with this 100%.

Do talk to your neighbors . . . better yet, have your son talk to them! Apologize for the noise, mention the changes that you've made (moving the PD) and ask about hours.

To answer your general question about apartment noise, close proximity living does mean making some compromise at times. Hopefully the neighbor will be willing to accept your thoughtful changes. I doubt your sewing machine will be much of a problem unless you set it up next to/touching an adjoining wall where the vibration will cause more disturbance.

Good luck! Please let us know how things progress. ;D

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 08:17:24 PM »

Keep in mind that the noise you hear may not be the noise others hear.  Some noises sound very different from a distance, or from the other sides of walls.  You have no idea how it reverberates in the other units unless you physically go there and listen while he does that.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

lkdrymom

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 10:46:06 AM »
I guess there is no way you could actually find out what it sounds/feels like from your neighbor's apartment depending on what room the punching bag is in.   I know when I brought in a radio for my office I actually figured out what level I could play it without it being heard in my neighbor's office and marked the volume control.