News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 09:35:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I hate my chicken!  (Read 849 times)

Mikayla

I hate my chicken!
« on: January 13, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »
This section is always so helpful when google fails.  I can't cook boned and skinless chicken breasts.   I do well when they have skin and bones, but they always taste like I'm eating the bottom of my boots.

Is there a secret to it?  I've tried boiling them, baking them in low heat with sauce and spices, etc.   It's garbage.  Does anyone use these and know simple ways to make them edible?

Lulubelle

Re: I hate my chicken!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
I have had good luck with them in both the slow cooker and the instant pot. My daughter loves oven fried chicken nuggets, too.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »
I like to do a very simple sauté with a pan sauce.  The main thing is to not overcook them or use too high a heat.

Try a Chocken piccata

Variations: Replace the stock with white wine. Replace capers with chopped parsley or some other fresh herbs. Toss breasts in seasoned flour before sautéing. Remove chicken, sauté sliced mushroom or minced onion/shallots, then continue.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

rain

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 05:35:07 PM »
I use an old Betty Crocker cookbook and the online Williams-Sonoma recipe search.  I really like chicken done in the crockpot....

I just looked through for an old pamphlet from 2010. It says poultry is often difficult to test for doneness using a thermometer instead carefully press on the cooked meat with a fingertip end of the texture. When it is done poultry should feel firm to the touch you can also cut into the edge the meat and make sure that it is opaque throughout with no signs of pink.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:37:30 PM by rain »
In search of a tag line

cicero

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:03:20 PM »
This section is always so helpful when google fails.  I can't cook boned and skinless chicken breasts.   I do well when they have skin and bones, but they always taste like I'm eating the bottom of my boots.

Is there a secret to it?  I've tried boiling them, baking them in low heat with sauce and spices, etc.   It's garbage.  Does anyone use these and know simple ways to make them edible?
I pretty much gave up on boneless/skinless chicken breast. I agree that it ends up tasting like rubber. My latest is to oven roast split chicken breast with skin/bones on. I marinate them first with salt, spices, a little lemon or lime juice. sometimes i roast them over a pan of rice (yum!!) and sometimes just on their own on a rack. When they're done, i cut up the meat part (and save the bones in the freezer to make broth).

One way that does work for boneless /skinless chicken breast is oven-fried - dip in flour, egg, then bread crumbs. Place on oiled tin foil on a big baking sheet and bake (I don't remember how long - but not too long). flip, bake a few more minutes. Best eaten straight away.

I used to actually poach them and they weren't bad - the trick is to never over cook them.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Zizi-K

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 07:08:13 PM »
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are perfect for chicken tinga! That's the shredded chicken that you'd get on a tostada or in a chimichanga at a Mexican restaurant. It's simmered with tomatos, onions, and chipotle, and is shredded in the delicious sauce that results. More chipotle=more spice! I love it. It's versatile, and you can use it in tacos, burritos, tostadas, etc.

http://muybuenocookbook.com/2011/05/chicken-tinga/

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »
One of my favorite ways to cook boneless chicken breast:  Dice it up, throw in skillet, pour in some low-fat Italian salad dressing (less oil) and simmer until the dressing evaporates into a sticky, garlic-y sauce. Heavenly!!!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »

This may not be a cooking fail on your part. It may be a food texture issue on your part. Some people, no matter HOW you prepare it, will enjoy the texture and taste of boneless skinless chicken breast. Removing the fat and bones also removes the flavor and moisture from the meat, which will greatly affect satiety. If you don't enjoy boneless skinless chicken breast, please don't force yourself to keep eating it.

Another option, if you are looking to cut fat out, is to remove the skin after you cook the chicken. It won't get it down as low as having it already boneless and skinless from the start, but it is a decent compromise if you just can't stand it otherwise.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 08:08:31 PM »
Low and slow is the trick to cooking a delicious, moist chicken breast. The faster/higher temp you cook it, the tougher and dryer it is.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Aleko

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 04:56:52 AM »
Chicken breasts are by their nature the driest and most tasteless part of the chicken. TBH they are only valued because they are a large neat-looking portion of white meat, not because they actually taste any good. (English-speaking people have historically had a passion for the whitest possible food that other cultures don't share - chicken breast, crated veal, white sugar, snow-white nutrition- and fibre-free bread were, and are, valued above their tastier and more nourishing darker equivalents. In the 18th century some really disgusting adulterants such as chalk, alum, and even ground-up bones were often added to flour and sugar to whiten them, which can't possibly have tasted pleasant; but people were happy to pay top dollar for them.)

If you feel you must serve chicken breasts, as samiHami says you are making it harder for yourself by cooking them boned and skinned, as that will automatically strip them of most of the little flavour and moisture they naturally have. (When I cook chicken breasts, which I rarely do, I not only leave the skin on but actually wrap them in fat bacon to help them stay moist and give them flavour.) If you must cook them skinned - or even if you leave the skin on - try brining or marinating them for a day beforehand, to increase their moisture content.

But a simpler, cheaper and healthier solution is to pass on chicken breasts and cook thighs instead. Chicken thighs are far better meat than breast; of their nature they are moister and more flavourful. Even cooked skinned and boned they won't come out dry unless you really brutalise them, and they not only taste good themselves but they take up the flavour of anything you cook along with them more readily than breasts do. And just because they don't look so genteel, they are a lot cheaper!

bridalviolet

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 07:46:57 AM »
Maybe if you brined them before cooking, the way they suggest with turkey? A simple water-sugar-salt solution, soak breasts in them a few hours, then cook in your preferred way.  I agree, though, that thighs are much tastier and cheaper besides. They're my go-to chicken cut.

TabathasGran

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 05:17:12 PM »
Maybe if you brined them before cooking, the way they suggest with turkey? A simple water-sugar-salt solution, soak breasts in them a few hours, then cook in your preferred way.  I agree, though, that thighs are much tastier and cheaper besides. They're my go-to chicken cut.

I've had happy results with brined chicken breasts. Alternatively pounding with a mallet will tenderize them nicely.   Also broiling in wine or broth is simple and fast. I second the chicken picatta suggestion. 

blarg314

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »

One of the keys is to cook them the minimum necessary times - until they're just cooked through. They don't respond well to slow cooking, or long stewing, and will cook faster than a lot of vegetables.

The thing with boneless skinless breasts is that they don't have much fat, and then don't have much collagen (like tendons and ligaments). Meat that does, like chicken legs, or pork shoulder, or beef shanks, or pork belly, gets more tender during slow cooking, as the fat melts melts over the meat, and the collagen turns into gelatin. B.S. chicken breasts just gets dry and woody. The skin provides fat, and the bones keep the breast from heating up too quickly, so you can cook it for longer.

The trick used in Chinese cooking is to first marinate cut up chicken tossed with rice wine and some corn starch, then to briefly deep fry, and finish cooking as stir fry. The cornstarch gives a nice silky texture, the rice wine tenderizes, and the cooking method is kept very short, so you get juicy chunks of chicken.

Reika

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 06:55:13 PM »
Besides all the ways mentioned above, I found cooking chicken breasts in the over at 450 Fahrenheit for 20 minutes is an excellent way to get nice juicy meat. Usually I'll just dust them with a little garlic powder, italian seasonings and maybe a bit of onion powder. I usually lightly coat the bottom of a glass pan with olive oil so they don't stick.

Once in awhile I'll indulge by cooking them for 15 minutes with just garlic powder on top, then pour on some bbq sauce for the last 5 minutes of cooking.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »
Because chicken breasts are so thick, I either cut them up into tenders before cooking or I will flatten them with a meat hammer so they'll cook more evenly. 

I also almost always braise them or cook them in some kind of sauce.  I don't like the taste when I cook them dry.