• March 22, 2018, 08:51:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When Are You Obligated to Listen to Someone?  (Read 3566 times)

Re: When Are You Obligated to Listen to Someone?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 07:33:22 PM »
You've gotten some great advice about how to protect yourself in situations like what you describe in  your OP.  Here's how I would change these statements:

Dad: I was just watching the news about a horrible...
You: Dad, sorry, I don't think I'm up for a sad subject. Can we I will get very upset if we talk about this topic, so we need to talk about something else. Did you hear what the weather would be this week?

Coworker: I hooked up with this guy last night and we....
You: Oh, can I stop you? SorryI need to stop you right here. Sorry, that's probably definitely more info than I want to know. (small laugh). But where did you meet him. Oh, at the park? That's nice which one were you at?
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
Re: When Are You Obligated to Listen to Someone?
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 08:56:46 PM »
You are not obligated to listen to someone telling you something that will literally make you sick, and you do not have to know it.

There are some conversations that are extremely disturbing but necessary, like a loved one telling you they're very ill, or a lawyer telling you you're in legal trouble. These you have to listen to. But I gather what your father was talking about wasn't something you *needed* to hear. In that case, after you told him you didn't want to hear it, *he's* the rude one to pursue things further. And if you find the deflection method hard, I don't think you're rude to get up and leave. If it's going to make you sick, you don't have to listen to it, whether it's discussion about bathroom issues or a political rant.

Agreed. There's a big difference between, "You may be looking at five years in prison for this crime," and "Look at this video of a Giant Whozawhatsit eating baby Xes," when they know you love Xes and this will distress you.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls