News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:27:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A conference I've committed to keeps changing times... update #67  (Read 8921 times)

Semperviren

Re: A conference I've committed to keeps changing times...
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »
Okay, but they sent out an original schedule, gave people time to plan around that, then started changing times and adding events. People don't always respond well to this; they like to know the plan and they don't like having things moved around. It makes it look like the organizers don't know what they're doing.

And I stand by - a 12 hour day is too much to ask.

maksi

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2018, 10:22:34 AM »
And as the OP said, they encouraged people to plan other stuff too!

Q: Will participants be able to go see the sites in City?
A: Participants are expected to attend any and all meetings, including dinner. Friday will wrap at 8pm, Saturday at 7pm, and Sunday at 4pm. We encourage participants to see sights of City once each day has concluded.

HannahGrace

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2018, 10:38:39 AM »
Okay, but they sent out an original schedule, gave people time to plan around that, then started changing times and adding events. People don't always respond well to this; they like to know the plan and they don't like having things moved around. It makes it look like the organizers don't know what they're doing.

One dinner was moved in location and extended an hour. This is not multiple events being added and blowing up the schedule.

Oh Joy

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »

I hear what you're saying.  But it's relevant that we have two separate types of attendees: one are those who paid for their ticket and can come and go to meet their own interests, and the other are those who are having their tickets and hotel paid for on the condition that they attend all events in full.

The organizers are absolutely fine with offering events for as long of a day as they choose, and the paid ticketholders are absolutely fine with skipping the keynote, meals, networking, or the entire event. 

Semperviren

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2018, 11:16:23 AM »
Again, if the organizers are asking for feedback, I think it is perfectly valid for the OP to give the feedback that the day is too long and once a schedule is published, they should stick to it (barring obvious unforeseen issues like a fire at the venue or a speaker falling ill, etc).

Yes, the organizers can jam pack the schedule and change times and run everyone from dawn til dusk on the grounds that they're paying for it so they're calling the shots. Is that a good idea, and a well-run conference? IMO, no.

GreenBird

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »
I can see being annoyed by the change, because you thought you'd have some free time for a dinner with your husband, and it turns out you don't.  I think you do have to go to the dinner though, and I wouldn't try to get out of it.  At conferences, your time is really not your own.  If you were paying for the conference personally, sure, attend and skip whatever you want.  But when someone else is paying you to go, I think you need to attend everything, especially because that was a very explicit part of the agreement in sending you. 

If the original materials had listed the longer time for that day, I'm guessing you wouldn't be thinking of trying to skip the dinner activity.  The day would still be too long, but it wouldn't feel like you were losing something because you would not have tried to spend extra time with your husband that night in the first place.  So maybe try to view it as just an unfortunate communication glitch from the conference runners. 

After the conference is over, if they offer a feedback form, I'd say something like "Good content (or whatever).  However the days were very long and I would have appreciated a little more unscheduled time in the evenings to make it easier to absorb all of the material."

Oh Joy

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
After the conference is over, if they offer a feedback form, I'd say something like "Good content (or whatever).  However the days were very long and I would have appreciated a little more unscheduled time in the evenings to make it easier to absorb all of the material."

Personally, this feels disingenuous to me.  The OP's problem in this very specific situation is that she's missing out on attending a pleasure activity with her husband, who is staying for free in the sponsored hotel room.  If the OP were posting that the long day will exhaust her and she needs quiet rest in the evening, that would be a completely different issue.

GreenBird

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »

Personally, this feels disingenuous to me.  The OP's problem in this very specific situation is that she's missing out on attending a pleasure activity with her husband, who is staying for free in the sponsored hotel room.  If the OP were posting that the long day will exhaust her and she needs quiet rest in the evening, that would be a completely different issue.

I guess there was enough discussion in the thread about the day being too long that I was assuming that was a problem as well. 

Semperviren

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2018, 01:09:19 PM »
How is it their business what attendees do with their downtime?

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2018, 02:57:33 PM »
The problem is that they're reducing their downtime by making this dinner basically a mandatory event.

The conferences we have at work always have additional evening events that are not training but are team building.  But they are never mandatory.  You partake in the events that interest you and skip the ones that don't.

If my work gave me a 12 hour day full of seminars then a mandatory meal that wasn't on site?  I would not be happy.  And I probably wouldn't go to the dinner.  I wouldn't be fit company, anyway, because I'd be too tired to make the drive and probably hangry with the late hour of the meal.

I agree with Greenbird that a feedback email, if asked for, that would identify that the days were over scheduled would be a good idea, though I'd probably say the downtime was more needed to rest and rejuvenate, rather than for absorbing the material.  We used to have mandatory team building exercises as part of these conferences.  Enough people indicated on feedback forms that they weren't comfortable with them that they were moved to the evenings and made optional; their previous slot in the agenda was filled with more training.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

TabathasGran

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2018, 06:26:28 PM »
I think itís a mistake on the part of the organizers to print a schedule with specific hours and then change it later.

Depending upon how many people are part of the conference, Iíd probably just bow out of the dinner and figure they wonít notice. But this really depends upon how likely it is that there would be blowback for it. Iíve never attended a conference where people would notice if I personally skipped a meal. Most large conferences I have been to donít take attendance at meals.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:09:56 PM by TabathasGran »

gramma dishes

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »
Perhaps the socializing at/during the meal, 'networking' if you will, is considered to be an integral part of the conference.

TabathasGran

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2018, 08:11:28 PM »
Perhaps the socializing at/during the meal, 'networking' if you will, is considered to be an integral part of the conference.
Iím sure they are looking at it that way. But I canít imagine forced socializing is very effective.

gramma dishes

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2018, 09:12:50 PM »
Iím sure they are looking at it that way. But I canít imagine forced socializing is very effective.

I'm guessing that in the organizers' minds this isn't so much forced socializing as it is an opportunity for meeting new people with whom you may be interacting at some point in the future in mutually beneficial ways.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2018, 08:15:27 AM »
But at the end of a very long day, how social can you be?  The extroverts among us would probably be fine.  The introverts?  Not so much.  Not to mention having  a chronic condition that is exacerbated by being over tired.  I think the organizers have not thought this through very well.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario