News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:27:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gift-giving: students to teacher  (Read 4634 times)

Easter Hat

Re: Gift-giving: students to teacher
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »
Considering the low salary most people who educate our children make, I bristled at the idea of $13 being too much money.

As someone who operates on a budget because I'm constantly paying my husbands medical bills - $13.00 to put towards a frivolous piece of jewelry for a teacher who is doing her job (even an outstanding, job) might still be beyond my realm of what I'm willing to pay (depending on what bill I was juggling that particular week). 

I could also speak for single parents who might have to decide if they are going to cut her grocery budget so their kids can participate in the gift.  I also think about many families I know who have multiple children and have expenses for multiple field trips, sporting equipment, etc. for each kid.  If those parents had to give $15.00 for every teacher who hosted an extracurricular - it could very well be a hardship.

Certainly excellent teachers deserve recognition and rewards for the time they spend with their students.  They are underpaid and sometimes unappreciated.  But no one should feel pressured to participate beyond their means.  $5.00 seems like a more reasonable amount.  Especially if that low sum was given in addition to a nice handwritten letter from the child, thanking the teacher for everything she's done.  Even if it were only 10 kids giving the gift I would imagine a $50.00 gift certificate and a pile of sweet letters would be very much appreciated in lieu of a piece of jewelry that may or may not suit.

Lulubelle

Re: Gift-giving: students to teacher
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »
Considering the low salary most people who educate our children make, I bristled at the idea of $13 being too much money.

As someone who operates on a budget because I'm constantly paying my husbands medical bills - $13.00 to put towards a frivolous piece of jewelry for a teacher who is doing her job (even an outstanding, job) might still be beyond my realm of what I'm willing to pay (depending on what bill I was juggling that particular week). 

I could also speak for single parents who might have to decide if they are going to cut her grocery budget so their kids can participate in the gift.  I also think about many families I know who have multiple children and have expenses for multiple field trips, sporting equipment, etc. for each kid.  If those parents had to give $15.00 for every teacher who hosted an extracurricular - it could very well be a hardship.

Certainly excellent teachers deserve recognition and rewards for the time they spend with their students.  They are underpaid and sometimes unappreciated.  But no one should feel pressured to participate beyond their means.  $5.00 seems like a more reasonable amount.  Especially if that low sum was given in addition to a nice handwritten letter from the child, thanking the teacher for everything she's done.  Even if it were only 10 kids giving the gift I would imagine a $50.00 gift certificate and a pile of sweet letters would be very much appreciated in lieu of a piece of jewelry that may or may not suit.
I don't make a great salary, and I'm in school (to become a teacher). $13 won't exactly break me, but I don't have a lot of extra money lying around. My daughter has 7 teachers, 2 coaches, 3 assistant coaches, a music teacher...the list goes on and on. I can't afford to give all of her teachers a $10+ gift. We do small gifts (<$5), and she writes them letters for Christmas & and the end of school year. I would not be thrilled to be "encouraged" to go in on a large present to any of the teachers.