News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:26:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When you gotta go, you gotta go  (Read 7431 times)

JeanFromBNA

Re: When you gotta go, you gotta go
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 01:48:53 PM »
I can't think of anything that is less my business than someone's bathroom habits, unless I am changing their diaper, or helping them on the "big girl potty."

Semperviren

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »
The conversation went something like:

Her: what was up with all the bathroom trips?
Me: Huh? I went three times. I drink a lot of water.
Her: Well, you should have told us that. L probably thought you were up to something in there.
Me: (thinking "like what?" But also thinking "this is one of those conversations not likely to end well.")
Mmkay. That was good bean dip L brought today.

ETA: her tone seemed quite peeved and she mentioned again later that I "should have explained".

Bottling events: one of our local wineries has "barrel to bottle" events where you can buy wine at a discount on the day they bottle it. If you bring your own clean bottles, you can get their wine for $6 a bottle vs $15 - $20 at BevMo or the grocery store. Recycle your bottles + cheap decent table wine! Plus they have a lovely outdoor garden with picnic tables and Bocce courts, so people bring lunch and make a day of it. They do about six a year.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:41:21 PM by Semperviren »

rose red

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 03:55:53 PM »
The conversation went something like:

Her: what was up with all the bathroom trips?
Me: Huh? I went three times. I drink a lot of water.
Her: Well, you should have told us that. L probably thought you were up to something in there.
Me: (thinking "like what?" But also thinking "this is one of those conversations not likely to end well.")
Mmkay. That was good bean dip L brought today.

ETA: her tone seemed quite peeved and she mentioned again later that I "should have explained".

Why is she so concerned about what "L" thinks? "L" can speak for herself if she's bothered, and if I was L, I would be upset that Friend doesn't think much of me to suspect I have such nasty thoughts.

I think your friend needs to grow up. To me, it sounds like a teenage girl trying to get the popular girl to like her and you are ruining her chances because, ewwwww, you go to the bathroom ::). Either that or she thinks you're up to something and using L's name so she doesn't look like the one with the bad thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:59:33 PM by rose red »

TabathasGran

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
Your friend sounds annoying. She should explain why she’s so annoying. >:D

Most of us are not interested in other’s bathroom habits. I wouldn’t notice.
And as others mentioned, going upon arriving and again when leaving for a drive is totally normal.

GardenGal

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 06:09:57 PM »
You definitely didn't go to the restroom an excessive number of times.  Your friend was very rude.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »
You were at a bottling event...not a house party so anyone who jumps to the conclusion you're doing drugs in the bathroom needs to stop watching so much TV!

I don't even care if you had to go every 15 minutes, there are medications that cause constant thirst and frequent urination.

viviennebzb

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
See, I'm just enough of a smart-aleck that I'd respond to the statement questioning what I might be "doing" in there with "What's the matter? Afraid that you're missing out?"

My goodness. People really need to cultivate more appropriate hobbies.

LonniesMom

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 10:28:56 AM »
Personally, I would be rethinking the "friend."

Other people's bathroom habits are no one else's business.  And insinuating that someone might think you are doing something illicit by going 3 times in 2 hours is rude.

Exactly. I would never even notice that. I do not think that is excessive at all. And even if it was once every half hour, you don't owe anyone an explanation about your bodily functions. What if you had a medical issue? You're expected to explain that? TMI!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 10:33:08 AM »
Wow, your friend would have a field day with me, then. I have several medical issues that mean I make a number of bathroom stops during the day. And I don't feel the need to justify my potty habits to anyone.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

rose red

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 10:44:06 AM »
With all the commercials about this very issue, her first thought is *that* says more about her than the bathroom goer.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »
Hahaha, what??? Seems absolutely bizarre. Bathroom business is not anyone else's business. Even if someone counts how many times within what timeframe you visit the bathroom, they have no idea why and speculating why seems just out of this world. Intense menstruation, some medication that causes you to pee more, stomach problems... And none of these are nobody's business and people usually would prefer not to know.

Your friend is definitely overthinking this.

I'm sure your friend would have hated me to explain why I used to have to visit the bathroom sometimes every 20 minutes!  I wouldn't have wanted to explain how quickly I could be caught out, or why I carried spare clothing at that time of the month.

Some days I'm really glad to be past that*. >:D

* But then MenopausalMiriam might be in danger of snapping "it's none of your business!", so I still can't win?  ::)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Raintree

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 01:36:38 AM »
Three times in two hours is a lot? They'd be absolutely beside themselves if they hung out with me in the first 2 hours after I've had my one large (20 oz) cup of coffee in the morning.

They'd also have been mortified if they'd hung out with me when I still had my menstrual cycle, before the hysterectomy I had due to fibroids that caused me to have to go deal with things every 15 minutes and sometimes more.

And then, there are people who would recoil in "TMI" if you went into any detail at all about why you needed to use the bathroom.

Semperviren

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »
Yeah, I mean, I've been operating on the assumption that most people consider that stuff TMI, it really just didn't occur to me that anyone would think it strange that I didn't offer some explanation about it. This friend does occasionally get in a knot about odd little things like this though.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »
The only time I would comment on someone's bathroom habits is when they start encroaching on my life or enjoyment of an activity. For example, if you know that drinking coffee makes you go more, I would absolutely bring it up before we leave on a road trip because I'm not going to stop every 20 minutes. (And if you're in my car for a multi-hour drive, we're close enough that I can say something about it). Or if we're watching a tv show or a movie and we have to keep pausing it.

If it's a medical need to drink so much, yeah, I'll be as understanding and accommodating as I can but when it's your choice and you know it will interrupt others, it's kinda selfish.

LonniesMom

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2018, 09:51:27 AM »
The only time I would comment on someone's bathroom habits is when they start encroaching on my life or enjoyment of an activity. For example, if you know that drinking coffee makes you go more, I would absolutely bring it up before we leave on a road trip because I'm not going to stop every 20 minutes. (And if you're in my car for a multi-hour drive, we're close enough that I can say something about it). Or if we're watching a tv show or a movie and we have to keep pausing it.

If it's a medical need to drink so much, yeah, I'll be as understanding and accommodating as I can but when it's your choice and you know it will interrupt others, it's kinda selfish.

Well, I am pregnant and have to go every 15 minutes due to the baby sitting on my bladder. I also have to stay hydrated. I am not being selfish, nor is anyone else who has a medical condition, or just needs to use the bathroom. I guess we wouldn't be friends.