News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 01, 2015, 07:21:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your favorite short eHell classics...  (Read 27911 times)

TylerBelle

Re: Your favorite short eHell classics...
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2010, 07:04:24 PM »
The upside down Christmas tree is a new one for me, too. I thought perhaps the family was getting it out of the way or something. It's really interesting there is history and some tradition as to why it's hung in that way.

--------------------

My fiancÚ's sister is getting married in August, only three months after our wedding. There are six of us in the bridal party -- the bride's best friend, her sister, myself, and three other "friends." Everyone in the bridal party is either recently married or will be married within a year. The bride's sister called the other day to update me on the shower details. We were in hysterics! Mind you, the wedding is over five months away -- and I have not even had my own shower yet -- but the groom and two of the bridesmaids (of the aforementioned "friends") had decided that time was running short, and took it upon themselves to finalize the shower details without telling the MOH!

The groom and one of the maids had called a few reception halls and had been told that everything was fully booked in June and July. This is hardly surprising, considering that the type of places they were looking at are usually reserved for WEDDINGS, not bridal showers. They did not bother to call small restaurants, inns, or the like, or ask about a brunch or lunchtime party. Rather, they decided that this was a desperate situation, and settled for the first reception hall that was available...at a cost of about $30 per guest. The groom signed the contract, and left it to the bridesmaids to inform the rest of us. They called the MOH to let her know that, not only had they chosen the site, but also bought the invitations and planned the favors! They also informed her that they would pay for the invitations and some of the favors, but not the reception hall. You see, they could not afford it since they were getting married themselves, the first one in November! Needless to say, the rest of us were shocked.

The MOH and the bride's sister confronted the other maids, and they finally agreed to make a few minor changes to the invitations and consider other options for the favors. However, a nonrefundable deposit had been placed on the reception hall, so we could not change the location. We are now going to split the cost six ways, though this will still be much more expensive than most of us had anticipated. With our wedding only two months away, my fiancÚ and I can hardly afford to pay a few hundred dollars for the shower! It turns out that this was actually the groom's decision -- he wanted the bride to have a certain "caliber" wedding, and would not settle for less than a four-course meal. This means that the shower should be comparable to the wedding itself, which will cost them nearly $200 a plate. If he were paying for it, this would be fine, but this is a girls-only affair, so we are left with the bill ... and a whole lot of frustration.
Bridals 3-9-01

I don't know if I'm missing something in the story, because for I find it so mind-boggling the part of "the groom signed the contract" and the part of "we are left with the bill" didn't make a connection with the LW and the rest of the bridesmaids. Did they feel they had to pay for the shower because it was a "girls-only affair"? Or on the groom's say so? Or thought if they didn't it'd make waves?

This was all the groom's choosing, for he wanted what he deemed best for his bride, which was nice, but then shouldn't leave others to pay for it, unless everyone's in complete, without a doubt agreement all around. The BMs should have gotten together, say each contributing $30 (which was averaged per guest) plus a little extra to cover the bride, then have the groom, aka the decision maker / contract signer, to come up with the rest.

Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Goog

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2010, 11:04:20 PM »
Now that the wedding is exactly 2 weeks away, my boyfriend received a phone call at about 9pm last night from the groom who apologized and said that we were invited to their wedding. No explanation was provided, and my boyfriend didn't ask for one. No invitation via the mail, nothing. To me, the lesser evil was not being invited at all (if that even was an "evil"), but to invite someone, via the telephone, 2 weeks prior to a destination wedding? Is it me, or is that just completely insane? Obviously we cannot attend at this point because of work obligations, last minute travel expenses etc., not that I would want to anyway.

Invitations0723-04

How clever to wait until the last minute to issue a quasi-invitation which lets the groom feel some relief from his guilt of not inviting them earlier but guarantees that the invitees will not be able to attend the destination wedding.

But doesn't the last-minute invitation just draw more attention to the non-invitation?

I'm not sure how I missed this - that is odd! Honestly, I think the boyfriend should have asked for an explanation. Not demanded one, or gotten snarky, but a simply "well, it's a little late notice, why couldn't you ask me before?"

That's what I don't understand about guy friendships - they seem to just let everything slide off their backs so easily. Like it's nothing.

I'm a little late at reading these, but this one reminded me of an invitation that my 80+ year old mother received:

She had an adult nephew who she didn't see that often as he lived on one coast and we live in the midwest.  She knew OF his son, but I don't think anyone had ever met him, and it's not like we got Christmas cards or anything from him.  We knew his name....that's it.  I'm visiting her and she shows me a wedding invitation for the son.  The wedding is in something like a week.  I'm like 'And you JUST got this?'  Yup.  So I'm ready to whip out the response card to fill it out to decline politely (her eyesight wasn't that good, so we helped her with correspondence), when I notice that the response card was due already, a few weeks before.  So I look at the envelope that was included with the RSVP card, and the stamp is CANCELLED!  It very strongly appeared to me that my mother was definitely B-list, in that she didn't receive the invitation until a week before the event, and then they couldn't even bother to give her a new envelope to mail the response back; oh, we'll just reuse one that was already sent back and not bother to put another stamp on it!  I think that some other people's names were even on the response card, b/c I remember thinking 1)who ARE these people, and 2) where should I put my mother's name when there's another name already here? (And the other people had declined too!)

No, I didn't mail it back for her.  Maybe that was bad of me, but I wasn't going to go out of my way at all when they couldn't even bother to send an invitation more than a week before the date or include an appropriate, unused response card and envelope.  I just sat there with my jaw hanging down to the ground on that one.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2010, 09:39:25 AM »
with my jaw hanging down to the ground on that one.

Yours and mine, too.  Wow!

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »
with my jaw hanging down to the ground on that one.

Yours and mine, too.  Wow!

I'd be kind of tempted to print below the other names "(Mother's name) also sends her regrets" buy a new stamp, and mail it off. They'd get it a day or two before the wedding.  ::)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Pandora

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2010, 03:00:27 PM »

I'm a little late at reading these, but this one reminded me of an invitation that my 80+ year old mother received:

She had an adult nephew who she didn't see that often as he lived on one coast and we live in the midwest.  She knew OF his son, but I don't think anyone had ever met him, and it's not like we got Christmas cards or anything from him.  We knew his name....that's it.  I'm visiting her and she shows me a wedding invitation for the son.  The wedding is in something like a week.  I'm like 'And you JUST got this?'  Yup.  So I'm ready to whip out the response card to fill it out to decline politely (her eyesight wasn't that good, so we helped her with correspondence), when I notice that the response card was due already, a few weeks before.  So I look at the envelope that was included with the RSVP card, and the stamp is CANCELLED!  It very strongly appeared to me that my mother was definitely B-list, in that she didn't receive the invitation until a week before the event, and then they couldn't even bother to give her a new envelope to mail the response back; oh, we'll just reuse one that was already sent back and not bother to put another stamp on it!  I think that some other people's names were even on the response card, b/c I remember thinking 1)who ARE these people, and 2) where should I put my mother's name when there's another name already here? (And the other people had declined too!)

No, I didn't mail it back for her.  Maybe that was bad of me, but I wasn't going to go out of my way at all when they couldn't even bother to send an invitation more than a week before the date or include an appropriate, unused response card and envelope.  I just sat there with my jaw hanging down to the ground on that one.

Could you have sent it back postage due?  >:D

Asharah

« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »
This has to win a prize for the worst invitation ever. I worked at a print shop and a frantic bride came in with her very expensive wedding invitations which she had ordered from a different printer out of state, paid a fortune for, and waited for weeks to arrive. Imagine her horror when she read, "Mr. and Mrs. John Doe invite you to the wedding of their daughter, Jane Ann, on 5 June..." They forgot to mention who Jane Ann was marrying! The printers hadn't made a mistake, she had not submitted her fiancÚ's name on the order. In a move that made bad matters worse in my opinion, instead of dumping the beautiful invitations and order plainer correct ones that could be printed quickly, she had business cards printed to insert. They said "The name of the groom is John Smith." (Why go to the trouble of adding a little card? Just slap a post-it note in each invitation with the groom's name.)

Invitations0214-04

HAHAHAHA!  The groom is an addendum! Hee!

It's a Doonesbury comic come to life!

http://www.gocomics.com/features/56/feature_items/90128?msg_id=270611,90128
http://www.gocomics.com/features/56/feature_items/90127?msg_id=270612,90127
http://www.gocomics.com/features/56/feature_items/90126?msg_id=270613,90126
http://www.gocomics.com/features/56/feature_items/90110?msg_id=270608,90110

Oh goodness I'm not having a easy time getting my breath. Those are great!

"Good ol' Bick, I thought he'd never get married."
(Imagine calling all invitees) "There's been a change, the groom's name is now Rick."
And the little insert has him as 'Bridegoon.'

Hehehehe!! :D
Strips are this weeks rerun.
http://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/doonesbury/s-1620989
Asharah

DCGirl

« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2015, 08:18:05 AM »
No cowboy regalia at funerals!   When I was about seven, my grandmother on my father's side died.  We all went to the funeral and all seemed appropriate.  Then, my father's cousin Kay arrived with her husband and their six or so year old child.  The child was dressed in cowboy regalia, complete with cowboy hat and holsters bearing cap guns!  If this garb wasn't bad enough, the little hellion marched up to the open casket and whipped out the cap guns and double shot them into the casket yelling, "BANG YOU'RE DEAD!".  Let's just say this incident is firmly branded into my brain, and I still see it as vividly as it happened.  To say it was surreal is an understatement!

Funerals1121-07

I may have mentioned this before, but years ago a co-worker got married and wanted her little nephew to be the ring bearer.  She also wanted him to wear a white suit.  He didn't like the white suit, but his parents finally talked him into doing it by showing him that a character, Boss Hogg, on his favorite TV show, The Dukes of Hazzard, always wore a white suit.  They promised him that if he wore the white suit in the wedding, they'd buy him a cowboy hat just like the one Boss Hogg always wore with his suit.

On the day of the wedding, we're all sitting in the sanctuary waiting for the processional to start, and we can all hear a four year shrieking in the vestibule, "But I want to wear my cowboy hat, just like Boss Hogg...."  over and over again.  Apparently, the parents hadn't fully explained that the hat was for after the wedding. 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »
I am the youngest of three daughters, and was the last one to get married. I had my wedding last August. We had a very simple, but beautiful wedding. After the ceremony, my Mom welcomed my new Husband to the family. Her words were, " We've never had a son in our family and we'd like to welcome you to it." My one BIL was a groomsman and the other BIL was videotaping the wedding. Right after my Mom said that, you hear BIL (groomsman) clear his throat, and everyone started laughing. What Mom was trying to say was that she only had three girls and no boys. We have it all on tape and still bug her about it, and now both BIL's tease my Husband and call him #1 Son! Ooops0215-03

This is very similar to what happened at my sister in law's wedding!  At the reception, my FIL gets up and makes his speech.  All is going well -he's praising the bride, praising the groom's intelligence in marrying her, etc.  Then he ends with the sentence, "*Groom*, I'm proud to know you and I can honestly say you're the best son a man could ever ask for!".  And sits down.  Next to his oldest child and son, my DH.  I don't think I will ever forget the shock on my DH's face when his dad leaned over and said, "Did you think my speech was okay?"  :o