News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 03:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EH Classic - The Jealous Bridezilla 11-29-01  (Read 5634 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: EH Classic - The Jealous Bridezilla 11-29-01
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »
I agree with most of the assumptions in the OP (and suspect a bit of exaggeration/sarcasm for grins).

In the first paragraph, we learn that she views them as great friends, but Michael's view is different as he didn't prioritize letting her know about his engagement. I think the biggest assumption I'm making here is that Michael is in a healthy relationship with Jennifer.

About the comment in the second paragraph: "but I said fine, dancing with him wasn't something to cause trouble over or question her psycho ways" I assumed she said it all to Michael, but it is unclear. That colored my perspective, for sure. Even if she didn't say it all, it still suggests that she had to make the decision to not cause a stink over dancing with her ex on his wedding day. For most of us, I don't think such a comment would even need to made because it would be such a non-issue. It made me think LW believed she was denied something that she was owed and took the high road of not making a fuss.

For me, the third paragraph had "extinction burst" written all over it. This guy is clearly fading out of LW's life, and she doesn't like it. So.... she "makes several calls over the next week" so she can play the "I'm going to die" card. She is ignored (more evidence to me that Michael and Jennifer are doing just fine), but persists until she gives in with a "farewell, cruel relationship" message.

Finally, the last paragraph is where she still can't let go, and sends in the flying monkeys. OK, Michael and fiancée don't look good by playing the message to others, but it is much more of a stretch for me to see the LW as the rational person in this story.

All we know about Jennifer is that she didn't want her fiancée to dance with anyone else on their wedding day, and that she played several voicemail messages from LW for family members. Maybe a bit insecure and defensive, but she sounds much more reasonable than the LW.

I pretty much agree with everything you said.

But I wonder if someone took the LW's side if we knew how she made the leap to pschyo or that he let her know as soon as they discussed the reception that his new bride had made it clear that her new groom would not be dancing with anyone else that we might have a different opinion? 

I suspect the LW is a nut but then again I wonder what might have been left out to make me wonder about Jenny as well?

Bert

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »

Finally, the last paragraph is where she still can't let go, and sends in the flying monkeys. OK, Michael and fiancée don't look good by playing the message to others, but it is much more of a stretch for me to see the LW as the rational person in this story.

All we know about Jennifer is that she didn't want her fiancée to dance with anyone else on their wedding day, and that she played several voicemail messages from LW for family members. Maybe a bit insecure and defensive, but she sounds much more reasonable than the LW.

The voicemail message thing was actually the biggest clue to me that the LW may be a little off.  If those played voicemail messages were "Hi Michael, haven't heard from you in a while, call me back"..."Hi Michael, Still haven't heard from you, hope you're ok, give me a call when you get a chance"... and "Hey Michael, I'm going into surgery in a few days and I'd really like to catch up, please call me"... Then I think that Michael and his Fiance would have come across pretty bad to their family.  Were I in Michael's family and heard those messages, I would've asked "what's wrong with that?".  Instead, her messages were deemed bad enough to play for other people, and get her uninvited from another wedding. 

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 06:59:42 PM »
I find out that not only has he hurt my feelings more than he would ever know, he couldn't be a man (which was part of the reason we broke up) and explain the situation

This kinda twanged a chord with me "he couldn't be a man"

Then the answering machine message just kind of puts her over the top.  Speaking of clue by fours, the OP needs to be smacked with one.  He wasn't returning your calls, you weren't invited to this wedding or his cousins - back off babe!

Mikayla

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »
You must have had Hint Uptake Deficiency Disorder.

Ok, so you owe me a new robe. 

This was epic!

JadeGirl

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 08:29:10 PM »
...snip

And we don't even know if the bit about dancing with anyone else on her wedding day is true.  Michael may have said it to get the OP off his back, not thinking about the consequences.

Paper Roses

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 12:55:53 AM »
"His whole family made sure I knew they didn't believe Jenny."  Sure they did.   I doubt his "whole family" even gives a second thought to the LW.

And with the "bestfriend" confrontation - "He admitted he was wrong and wanted to call me to apologize."  Yeah . . . no.  If the "bestfriend" told the LW that, (and it wouldn't surprise me if in truth she actually didn't), I have no doubt it was only to shut her up.  I doubt "bestfriend" ever even said anything to him, and if she did, I don't believe for a second that he "admitted he was wrong and wanted to call and apologize." 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 02:57:33 AM »
"His whole family made sure I knew they didn't believe Jenny."  Sure they did.   I doubt his "whole family" even gives a second thought to the LW.
If his whole family didn't believe Jenny the LW would have been invited to the cousin's wedding.
Nothing to see here.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 09:35:23 AM »
While I pretty much agree with everything being said here by the majority, I am dealing with a tax return for someone that was married to a "sounds like Jenny".

From the word go he knew she suffered from low self esteem and had intense jealousy issues.  All through their engagement and marriage she was like a helicopter bride.  She called him at least six times a day and on the rare occasions that he was "allowed" to go anywhere without her she called every 15 minutes to check on him.  Anytime plans were made in advance she managed to get sick right before he was leaving so he couldn't go (this was for mens hiking/fishing/camping trips).  He eventually lost almost all of his friends.   

She could not keep a job because she was always on the phone with him or had to leave to check on his whereabouts.  He was almost fired because she kept dropping in at his school (he is a high school teacher) and made inappropriate remarks to some of the young ladies in his class.

When first approached to do their taxes a few years ago, she came with him to the appointment, which of course was fine.  She seemed combative from the word go and everytime he started to answer a question she interrupted him to give the same answer he was trying to give me.  At the end of the interview and I summed up the process to prepare their return she said, "call ME if you have any questions, I do not like women calling my husband."

Here we are six years later and I am preparing their final joint return (I don't care where they go after this, I have had enough).  He has filed for divorce, had to move into an undisclosed gated location, file a restraining order to keep her off school property and get a second telephone that she does not have the number for.  When he was relaying all of this to me at our meeting for this year's return; I asked him if he saw all the signs beforehand why did he marry her anyway?  He said, I loved her, I thought it would get better and by then I was afraid she would do something harmful if I left her.

So while I doubt that the Jenny in this thread is like this, they are genuinely out there, they marry and create havoc and not everyone sees their manipulation and red flags from the start or honestly believes it will get better.  This one has called me several times to see if I have questions and has asked me everytime if she can have his telephone number.  I told her after the first call, do not call me repeatedly or I will block your number and refuse to prepare this return for you.     

TurtleDove

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 10:02:40 AM »
^^^I am certain that there are people who are overly jealous and controlling (both men and women), but I think this is a "know your place" situation. Based on what the OP told us, she is simply not among the people close enough to Michael (and Jenny) to know whether Jenny is toxic (or conversely whether Michael wants to quietly sever his relationship with the OP). It is not the OP's place - whether as an ex-girlfriend, or as someone who lives 10 hours away and is apparently not all that close with Michael - to make waves in or opine on his relationship.

I am friendly with essentially all of my exes, but I would never dream of contacting them without response in the ways the OP describes, nor would I assume the worst about their intended. I am not a jealous person, but if someone were to have contacted my husband in the ways the OP describes her contact with Michael, I would not be at all surprised if my husband wanted to sever whatever relationship he still had with that person. Unless an ex is supportive of one's current life, they have no place opining on it. They are an ex for a reason, and the relationship would need to develop into something "current" (not based on the fact they are exes) for that relationship to be a value add currently.

Twik

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 12:31:24 PM »
It is, possibly, telling that the LW starts by saying "things never worked out for us romantically" and then admits later on that they broke up. Which means she's not just a friend, she's an ex. This does put a different spin on it. Jenny may indeed be paranoid and insecure, but I'd be a little concerned if my fiancé's ex kept calling him just before our wedding claiming she was afraid she was about to die and only he could comfort her. Doesn't she have any family or friends to fall back on who could do this job?

In that case, there's a big difference between "I cannot let my man dance in public with another woman, no not even his mother!" and "I don't want my new husband dancing with his ex (who isn't over him and has let everyone know it) at my wedding." Perhaps she was right about Michael "not being a man," and he's trying to get rid of her by saying "Jenny doesn't want you around" because he's not brave enough to say "I don't want you around."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."