Author Topic: Casseroles  (Read 2497 times)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Casseroles
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:45:01 PM »
I need some new casserole recipes, can I bother all of you for some of your favorites? Thanks in advance!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

ehellion

Re: Casseroles
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:43:20 PM »
I just did a yummy one last night:

1lb ground beef
1 cup diced onion
1 cup or 1 can (drained) mixed vegetables
garlic salt to taste
1 can cream of chicken, celery or cream of (whatever) soup you like
2/3 cup soup can filled with milk
1/2 package frozen tater tots

Preheat oven to 375. Brown beef and onion in pan. Salt lightly with garlic salt. Spread in 9x9 pan and add veggies, soup and milk. Mix well. Place tater tots in single layer. Bake for about 45-60 minutes. I like to sprinkle grated mozarella cheese over it before I serve. Yum! You can also do another tater tot casserole with pork n beans and hot dogs. Add 2 cans or 1 large can of pork n beans, 1 small can tomato sauce and some diced hotdogs. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, top with tater tots and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Kids love it. So do I, lol.

kkl123

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:26:04 PM »
I posted a sort of casserolish thing over in the low sodium thread... it's a takeoff on ropa vieja.

rockingrandma

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:32:31 AM »
This one is extremely yummy, but it comes out looking like....um....barf.

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

2 pounds skinless chicken breasts, cubed
bread crumbs (I use italian seasoned style)
1 egg mixed with 1/2 cup milk
8 ounces swiss cheese (can use cubed but I prefer sliced torn into pieces)
8 ounces diced ham
1 small can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk

Dip cubed chicken in egg and milk mixture and roll in crumbs.  Brown in oil until golden.  Put in baking dish, add cheese and ham (I toss it together).  Mix soup with 1/2 cup milk and pour over.  Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Psykogrl

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 11:34:20 AM »
I learned a wonderful tater tot one similar to ehellion's from a friend from the midwest. I sort fo changed it a little  to use chicken cause its great for using up leftovers

1 lb (or so) chicken, cooked
small package of frozen chopped broccoli
large can cream of broccoli soup
about 1 lb tater tots
Shredded cheese of choice

Cook the tater tots according to package directions. Mix together all ingredients, saving some cheese for the top, and put in a baking dish. Spinkle with cheese and cook until hot all the way through. Its best to let is sit for a few minutes before trying to eat it so that it will thicken.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »
Tator tots make an excellent substition for mashed potatoes in Shepperd's Pie.  I sort of prefer them. 

This is an idiot proof casserole that I first made when I was 4. 

Take around a pound of ground meat.  Halfway brown it.  Push it into the bottom of a casserole pan.  Top with one can of cream of something.  Add chopped onions or peppers, or whatever you have handy, this is not necessary.  Top with tator tots.  Cook at 350 for at least a half hour, but an hour is ideal. 
If it is covered, you can not overbake it.  I once forgot about it, and cooked it for 11 hours.  It was excellent.

ImSusan615

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 01:28:33 AM »
I know this isn't technically a casserole, but it is an easy meal.  Take four boneless pork chops and brown them a little in a hot pan.  Arrange them in a square baking dish and pour on a whole jar of mushroom gravy.  Cover tightly with foil and bake at 325 for 3 hours.  They come out fork tender and tasty.  I also put a few large potatoes wrapped in foil in the oven at the same time, and they come out perfect.  Just add veggies and/or salad, and you have a meal.

kathrynne

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 03:43:42 PM »
Corned Beef Casserole (It looks disgusting, but you'll get over it!)

1 can corned beef
1 can mushroom soup
1/2 can milk
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese (to sprinkle on top)
egg noodles

Mix all but last two ingredients well while boiling noodles. Mix noodles in and pour into greased casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese on top, thickly. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Summrs

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 12:29:44 PM »
I have a Mock Shepherd's Pie recipe that my family loves.  (As long as you aren't the one who hates green peppers, lol)

1 can Manwich Sauce
1 lb ground beef
1 can green beans
1 can corn
Mashed potatoes

Make the manwich with the hamburger the way you usually would.  Throw in the veggies (you can also use frozen... and actually, pretty much any veggies that you prefer).  Heat until veggies are warm.  Put Manwich mixture into a casserole (a souffle type casserole dish works best) and top with mashed potatoes.  Any mashed potatoes will do (and probably tater tots).  Boxed instant, leftover, etc.  All good.  Then just brush the top with a little melted butter and heat in a 350 oven until it's bubbly and browned on top.  It's a really easy throw together meal for a busy weeknight.

romancebookgirl

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 07:55:24 PM »
This one is pretty good, even my very picky brother likes it.

Chicken Casserole
2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
1/2 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoons chopped onion
2 cups diced celery
3 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast meat
1 cup mayonnaise
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
1 cup crushed cornflake crumbs
2 tablespoons butter

In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside. Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; saute onion and celery until soft.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Combine the chicken, rice, onion and celery in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Stir in mayonnaise and soup, then almonds. Top with crushed cornflakes and 2 tablespoons butter.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until golden brown.
“It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it," said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocalypse.”

elsie

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 07:54:32 PM »
We call this "Slop"; it is basically the lazy form of lasagna.  Brown a pound of ground beef with some frozen chopped onions.  Drain off fat.  Mix in an entire jar (about 28 oz.) of spaghetti sauce (I usually add about a 1/2 c of water to the empty jar, shake it up to rinse it out, and add that to the pan) and simmer.  Boil about 3 dry cups of short pasta, such as penne, ziti, bowties, spirals, etc.  Mix the pasta into the sauce,  Grease a 3Q casserole with cooking spray.  Put half of the pasta mixture into the bottom.  Spoon on some ricotta cheese (about half a small container, you can freeze the rest).  Sprinkle some parmesan cheese.  Cover with the rest of the pasta mixture.  Cover with about 8 oz. shredded mozzerella and some parmesan.  Bake at 350 about 45 minutes.  This can be dressed up with spinach, mushrooms, etc. added to the sauce, parsley in the ricotta, etc.  But it's pretty good just like this!

jamiescudder

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 03:12:04 AM »
A really easy casserole that always goes over well with my family is enchilada casserole.

1 lb. ground beef
Tortilla chips
1 onion
Grated cheese
Enchilada sauce
Tomato sauce
Corn (optional)
Diced tomatoes (optional)
Sliced Olives (optional)

Brown the ground beef and drain. Crunch up the tortilla chips and put a layer of them on the bottom of your pan. Pour some enchilada sauce and tomato sauce over them. (The tomato sauce helps cut the spiciness of the casserole.) Put a layer of ground beef on top of that. Layer in all other ingredients putting the cheese at the top. Continue layering them until the pan is full or you run out of ingredients, whichever comes first. Bake at 350 until hot clear through (about 1 hour for a 9X13 pan).

This recipe is great for the night after having tacos because then you can just use your taco leftovers. If you have leftover tortillas you can tear them up and use them instead of the chips.

My sister's kids also like one called Bubble Pizza.

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. sausage
2 cans biscuits
1 jar pizza sauce
Grated Cheese
Pizza toppings of your choice

Brown ground beef and sausage, drain. Tear or cut biscuits into fourths. In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients except for the cheese. Bake at 350 until biscuits are cooked (approximately 45 min - 1 hr). Top with cheese and bake for 10 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.