Author Topic: Low Cholesterol  (Read 1920 times)

edenparadox

Low Cholesterol
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:38:50 PM »
So I just found out my cholesterol levels aren't so good. I'm pretty certain it's genetic and my diet is actually not bad but I'm going to try to balance it out a bit more. Can anyone suggest yummy cholesterol lowering recipes?

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Low Cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:03:54 PM »
well you are best off speaking to a licensed nutritionist, but i can tell you what worked for me. basically there are two aspects: things you should avoid and things you should add to your diet/lifestyle.

avoid:
margerine - this is tricky bec food industry uses this in everything but they call it by different names. don't even get the 'healthy' margarine - there is no such thing.
fried foods.
luncheon meats.
meat, inner organs, etc . i am not saying you have to become vegetarian, although it would be a good idea, but stick to chicken/turkey without skin, and lean meats.
packaged cookies/crackers.

add:
exercise - some kind of aerobic exercise at least 45 mins. a day.
oatmeal - not the instant kind. I buy the regular oatmeal, pour boiling water over it and cover for a few minutes. it softens it.
lots of fresh vegetables, 2-3 fruits a day.
beans, lentils.
whole grains.

if you need more specific help - just holler

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

edenparadox

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 04:33:57 PM »
Thank you for your advice. I generally follow those guidelines as it is so I'm pretty sure the big cause here is my genetics and not my diet. My real goal here is that I would like to add more cholesterol conscious recipes to my recipe box and adjust my meal planning by using them more than more fatty things like Chicken Alfredo. So if you have any yummy, applicable recipes I would be very grateful.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 03:03:09 PM »
My husband also has cholesterol problems. Here's a list of some of the things we make for him (and his cholesterol has come down quite a bit-though his problems were mostly food related). Let me know if any of them sound good and I will post the recipes:

Main Courses
Chicken & Squash Burritos
Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Dressing
Turkey Potpie with Baby Vegetables
Salmon Risotto
Hunting Cabin Chili
Easy Roasted Chicken
Chicken Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa
Mediterranean Chicken
Cabbage Soup (tastes better than it sounds, I promise)
Portobello Burgers

Sides
Creamy Polenta with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Coulis
Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Walnut dip
Tomato Herb Gravy
Curried Vegetable Couscous
Tuscan White Beans with Sage

edenparadox

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 03:30:20 PM »
My husband also has cholesterol problems. Here's a list of some of the things we make for him (and his cholesterol has come down quite a bit-though his problems were mostly food related). Let me know if any of them sound good and I will post the recipes:

Main Courses
Chicken & Squash Burritos
Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Dressing
Turkey Potpie with Baby Vegetables
Salmon Risotto
Hunting Cabin Chili
Easy Roasted Chicken
Chicken Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa
Mediterranean Chicken
Cabbage Soup (tastes better than it sounds, I promise)
Portobello Burgers

Sides
Creamy Polenta with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Coulis
Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Walnut dip
Tomato Herb Gravy
Curried Vegetable Couscous
Tuscan White Beans with Sage

Actually they all sound really good. And Cabbage Soup doesn't scare me - I'm Ukrainian and our national food is borscht which is full of yummy cabbage. I'll be really grateful for as many of these recipes as you want to post.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »
Actually they all sound really good. And Cabbage Soup doesn't scare me - I'm Ukrainian and our national food is borscht which is full of yummy cabbage. I'll be really grateful for as many of these recipes as you want to post.

I'm happy to post them all. Here are the ones I already have typed and on the computer. I'll get to the others tonight or tomorrow.

Chicken & Squash Burritos (serves 4)
Ingredients
2 large zucchini (you can also use summer squash or yellow squash)
1 chicken breast
low-fat Italian dressing
1 can black beans, drained
1 jalapeno (or more, depending on how spicy you like your food)
whole wheat tortillas
shredded cheese

Directions
Marinade chicken breast in Italian dressing for at least 1 hour. Turn on broiler. Cut squash into 1/4" thick by (approx) 2" long strips and place in a foil-lined pan, next to the chicken. Discard marinade and broil until chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside to rest. Dice jalapeno and add to black beans. Heat through. Cut chicken into strips. Heat up a tortilla and add desired amount of ingredients to each and roll up in a burrito.

Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Ketchup (serves 6 - this is a very time intensive recipe, but the results are great!)

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups dried black beans, picked over and rinsed, soaked overnight, and drained
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, peeled and seeded then diced
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 red bell pepper (capsicum), seeded and chopped
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 green (spring) onion, thinly sliced
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup fresh whole-grain bread crumbs
6 whole-grain hamburger buns
6 slices tomato
6 slices red onion
3 bibb lettuce leaves, halved

Directions
In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the beans, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially, and simmer until the beans are tender, 60 to 70 minutes. Drain and discard the bay leaf.

While the beans are cooking, combine the tomatoes, half the yellow onion, half the garlic, the tomato paste, vinegar, chipotle chili, 3/4 teaspoon of the cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and the mixture is a thick sauce, about 5 minutes. Set the chipotle ketchup aside to cool.

In a frying pan, heat 1/2 tablespoon of the canola oil over medium heat. Add the remaining yellow onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the bell pepper and the remaining garlic and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool. Set the pan aside.

In a food processor, combine the drained beans, onion mixture, brown rice, pecans, green onion, the remaining 1 teaspoon cumin and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pulse several times until the mixture is coarsely pureed. Fold in the beaten egg and bread crumbs. Form the mixture into 6 patties, each about 3/4-inch thick.

In the same pan used for the onion mixture, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides and heated through, 7 to 9 minutes total.

Serve each burger on a bun topped with 1 tomato slice, 1 onion slice, 1/2 lettuce leaf and a dollop of the ketchup.

Turkey Potpie with Baby Vegetables (serves eight)

Ingredients
10 baby carrots
1 cup pearl onions
1/3 pound fresh white mushrooms
1 1/4 cups frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
2 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
1 garlic clove, minced
2 pounds skinless, boneless turkey breast, diced
1 cup shelled edamame or English peas
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon each fresh chopped dill and basil
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup plain soy milk (soya milk)
1 tablespoon dark honey

Directions
Peel and halve the carrots, then thinly slice crosswise. Immerse the onions in a saucepan of boiling water for about 2 minutes, drain, and plunge in cold water. Cut off the root ends, slip off the skins, and then cut a shallow X in the root end of each onion. Brush the mushrooms clean, then thinly slice. Quarter the artichokes lengthwise. Set the prepared vegetables aside.

In a large, heavy, ovenproof saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the 1/4 cup olive oil over low heat. Add the mustard and 1/4 cup of the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes.

Add the stock, still whisking constantly to avoid lumps, raise the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Add the garlic, carrots and onions. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, edamame, tomato, dill and basil. Cover and simmer until the turkey is opaque throughout, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the sour cream and season with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Spoon the mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 425 F.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, the remaining 1/2 cup flour, baking powder and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. In another bowl, whisk together the soy milk, the 2 tablespoons olive oil and the honey. Add the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.

Pour the batter over the turkey mixture. Bake, uncovered, until lightly browned, about 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes, then serve.

Easy Roasted Chicken
(serves 3)*
* I like to make chicken broth out of the carcass after eating this. Just cover with water and boil for a couple hours and strain & freeze the broth.

Ingredients
1 small (3-4lb) roasting chicken
1 lemon, cut into 8 pieces
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon olive oil

Directions
Heat oven to 425. Rinse chicken, pat dry and place in a small roasting pan. Insert the lemon slices and garlic into the cavity. Mix together garlic powder, rosemary, basil, salt and olive oil in a small cup until it forms a rough paste. Separate skin from chicken breast with fingers and rub the paste over the breast. Roast for 15 minutes and turn the heat down to 375. Roast for another hour or until thigh temperature reaches 170. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before carving.

Cabbage Soup
(serves an army! - leftovers freeze well)

Ingredients
1 head bok choy, chopped into strips
1 large bag fresh spinach
1 small head cabbage shredded
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon allspice
5 cups vegetable broth
1 cup white wine
Hot sauce to taste (I like Sriracha, but any hot sauce will work as long as it's low calorie)
Two 28oz. cans crushed tomato

Directions
Place the oil in a deep saucepan or stockpot and turn heat to medium. When the oil is hot, add the onion & cabbage. Cook stirring, until both the onion and cabbage are tender but not brown - about 20 minutes. Add the bok choy and the spinach until cooked down - about 5 minutes. Depending on the size of your pot, you may have to do this in batches.

Stir in the sugar and allspice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine and cook until 1/2 of the wine cooks off, about 5 minutes. Add the stock and cook for an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add crushed tomato and hot sauce to taste. Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer. Cook for an additional 20 minutes and serve.

edenparadox

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:03:02 PM »
Those sound so delicious!

Thank you so much.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »
i eat mostly vegetarian - i have oatmeal for breakfast and a fruit for snack.

lunch i eat at work: fresh vegetables, with a protein (cheese, beans, lentils, nuts) and some kind of carb (rice cake, whole rice, quinoa).

i make a big pot of lentil soup and freeze it in individual portions:
saute 1 chopped onion, 2-3 celery stalks, handful of fresh mushrooms, chopped carrot. saute in olive oil till soft and golden. add about 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. meanwhile pick over and wash 1 lb of red lentils. add to pot, add 1-2 tsp of cumin, pinch of black pepper, lower flame and simmer for about 30-40 minutes. the lentils will disintegrate. add salt only a the end, and you can add whatever other spices you like. you can add 1-2 heaping tablespoons of oats. you can also add additional vegetables - like pumpkin, sweet potato.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

hollasa

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 04:16:50 PM »
Well, I can tell you that I have Rogers Porridge Oats ("A combination of oat flakes, oat bran, wheat bran and flaxseed that is excellent for cooking as a breakfast cereal and for adding to baked goods") for breakfast almost every morning, with yogurt and blueberries, and my triglycerides ROCK - seriously, my doctor said that he's very rarely seen any triglyceride levels lower than mine are.

You know, I don't get too many chances to brag about that...  ;)

edenparadox

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 05:04:55 PM »
I have a fear of oatmeal. A long abiding fear. From my childhood. *shudder*

Cicero thanks for the lentil soup recipe. I actually love lentil soup and I keep meaning to go look for a recipe so this is awesome.

Hollasa, congrats on your triglycerides...?!?! Um what are triglycerides?

hollasa

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:10:45 PM »
I have a fear of oatmeal. A long abiding fear. From my childhood. *shudder*

Cicero thanks for the lentil soup recipe. I actually love lentil soup and I keep meaning to go look for a recipe so this is awesome.

Hollasa, congrats on your triglycerides...?!?! Um what are triglycerides?

What are triglycerides? Short answer: darned if I know, but I have darn good levels of them.

Longer answer: "glyceride in which the glycerol is esterified with three fatty acids"

Even longer answer: "In the human body, high levels of triglycerides in the bloodstream have been linked to atherosclerosis, and, by extension, the risk of heart disease and stroke. However, the negative impact of raised levels of triglycerides is lower than that of LDL:HDL ratios. The risk can be partly accounted for by a strong inverse relationship between triglyceride level and HDL-cholesterol level."

;D

Also, I had really yucky oatmeal at camp, and the oatmeal I make at home is quite nice. However, oatmealphobia shouldn't be trivialized...

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 04:04:23 PM »
Sorry, I haven't had time to post the rest until now. Here are the rest of the main courses:

Salmon Risotto (serves 4-6)

Ingredients
1/3 cup white wine (dry is best)
8 fresh thyme sprigs
5 1/3 cups chicken broth (home made or store purchased organic broth is preferred. Imagine brand organic free-range chicken broth is great. Do not use bouillon cubes or broth with MSG)
3/4 pound fillet of salmon
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large shallot (approximately 1/4 cup), finely diced
2 cups Carnaroli rice (can substitute arborio if desired)
A large handful (1-2 cups) arugula (washed and large stems removed. Baby arugula is the simplest to use)
3 tbsp Mascarpone cheese (optional)
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Salt (kosher or sea salt is preferred)

DIRECTIONS
Pat salmon dry. Bring 1/3 cup wine, 1/3 cup chicken broth, and 4 sprigs of thyme to a boil in a pan large enough to accommodate fish. Place fish (skin side down) in pan and cover. Simmer gently over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes (thickest part of the salmon should be medium-rare). Remove fish and scrape off skin. Flake salmon into bite-sized chunks. Strain cooking liquid through a fine sieve and add to the remainder of the stock, in a separate pan.

Bring remaining stock to a simmer. In a heavy 5-quart saucepan (one with curved sides and a flat bottom is preferred) over medium heat, add olive oil. Once the olive oil is melted and lightly bubbling, add shallot. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add rice and sauté a further 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of stock and begin stirring. Liquid will sputter and absorb quickly. Once this liquid is mostly absorbed, add another cup of stock and continue stirring gently until the liquid is almost absorbed into the rice. Continue adding stock in 1-cup increments until rice is to the desired softness, approximately 25 minutes.

Stir in salmon. Stir in arugula until slightly wilted. Stir in Mascarpone until melted and remove from heat. Add a few grinds of pepper. Taste and add salt and/or more pepper if desired. Serve immediately.

Hunting Cabin Chili (Serves many. Great for leftovers)

Ingredients
2-3 pounds ground turkey, browned
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1-lb jar salsa
Four 15-oz kidney beans, drained
28-oz diced tomatoes with juice
jalapenos to taste

Directions
Combine ingredients in a large soup pot. Tomato liquid should just almost cover ingredients or a little water can be added. Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat, simmer for 2-3 hours.

Chicken Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa (serves 4)

Ingredients
1/2 lb tomatillos, rinsed and quartered
3 fresh serrano chilies, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped white onion
3 garlic cloves, quartered
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup water
2 Tbs. canola oil
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
12 (4-inch) corn tortillas

Directions
Purée tomatillos, chiles, onion, garlic, salt and water in a blender until smooth. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then carefully add tomatillo mixture (oil will splatter) and simmer, stirring, until thickened, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. Heat tortillas on a plate in the oven until warm. Serve with chicken & tomatillo salsa.

*Note - If you have leftover salsa, it stores in the fridge for about a week, and can also be frozen.         

Mediterranean Chicken
(serves eight)

Ingredients
6 Tbs. olive oil, divided
8 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1-1/2 pounds assorted wild mushrooms sliced
1-1/2 cups low salt chicken broth
2/3 cups pitted Kalamata olives
3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs. chopped shallot
1 Tbs. drained capers
2 Tbs. chilled butter
1 cup teardrop tomatoes (red and yellow)
3 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
3 Tbs. pine nuts, toasted   

Directions
Preheat oven to 200˚. Heat 3 Tbs. oil in large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches, add chicken to skillet. Cook until brown and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to ovenproof plate and place in oven to keep warm. Discard oil. Add 3 Tbs. oil to same skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté until wilted and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add broth, boil until almost all liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add olives, plum tomatoes, garlic, shallot and capers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 7 minutes. Add butter, stir until melted. Mix in teardrop tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle mushroom mixture over chicken. Sprinkle parsley and pine nuts over if desired, and serve.      

Portobello Burgers (serves 2)

Ingredients
2 portobello mushrooms, washed, and stems removed
olive oil
salt & pepper
any condiments & veggies you like

Directions
Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Brush mushrooms lightly with olive oil and dust with salt & pepper (both sides). Cook on the pan, flipping occasionally until cooked through. Place on bun with condiments & veggies of choice.

edenparadox

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 07:54:29 PM »
No apologies, you're my hero.  :)