Author Topic: Squirting can.....was I too paranoid?  (Read 1162 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Squirting can.....was I too paranoid?
« on: September 17, 2007, 06:30:14 PM »
Dh gets to have a "manly" dinner choice once a week.   ;D

He chose sloppy joes.  I normally make it from a packet but I saw a can of "Original Sloppy Joe's".  I am thinking this one of the few items my mom left when she moved out last weekend.

I used an electric can opener, as it punctured the can, stuff squirted out at me.  I never had this happened before but I remember reading somewhere that bad canned goods can "bulge" or pop.  I didn't see a bulge but it definetely popped as it was punctured and then squirted a spray at me.

I threw out the can and stuck to the usual method.

Was I paranoid for throwing out the can?  I also didn't see any sell by date stamped on either end of the can either.  Would you have used it?

beakiebean

Re: Squirting can.....was I too paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:32:43 PM »
I don't eat things that attack me-I'd say you made a good call.

Seriously though-my mantra has always been "When in doubt, throw it out." Food poisoning is awful and sometimes fatal. It's just not worth taking the risk.

Becca

Summrs

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:37:34 PM »
Yeah, good choice.  It may have built up enough pressure to squirt but not disfigure the can yet.  If there's no sell by date, it's a good chance the can was from before they were required.  Scary, huh?

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:32:17 AM »
Good choice. Anaerobic envoronment>botulism>hospitalisation.
NE England

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 10:13:10 AM »
Thanks all!  I get chided sometimes for being paranoid in my kitchen. 

In fact with the latest E Coli salad scare, I want a farm to grow my own stuff and not worry about it!

WHATSNEW

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 10:25:39 AM »
Better safe than sorry.  My DH stills remembers the time I poisoned him with Dinty Moore Beef Stew when I reheated the leftovers that had not been refrigerated properly.  That was about 24 years ago.  He still avoids beef stew to this day.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 05:02:28 PM »
It doesn't necessarily mean it was bad, but knowing how old it was, I would have done the same. Its also a good idea to toss out "puffy" cans. 

Xena_Xavier

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 11:05:43 AM »
I'd just like to thank everyone who replied on this thread, because I'm going to print it out and paste it up on our kitchen wall.  My DH will eat *anything* - if it's turned green and is trying to crawl away from him, he'll beat it with a mallet before throwing it in a frying pan.  And he's convinced tinned foods stay fresh, or at the very least edible, FOREVER.

More than once since I've known him I've spent an evening conversing on the Great White Telephone, because I turned my back long enough for him to try and "help" with dinner.  Now he's not allowed in the kitchen when I'm cooking.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 11:12:21 AM »
I'd just like to thank everyone who replied on this thread, because I'm going to print it out and paste it up on our kitchen wall.  My DH will eat *anything* - if it's turned green and is trying to crawl away from him, he'll beat it with a mallet before throwing it in a frying pan.  And he's convinced tinned foods stay fresh, or at the very least edible, FOREVER.

More than once since I've known him I've spent an evening conversing on the Great White Telephone, because I turned my back long enough for him to try and "help" with dinner.  Now he's not allowed in the kitchen when I'm cooking.

Was he in the military? BF is somewhat like this, but he draws the line at anything that's furry!  I'll say to him "that's been in the fridge for 2 weeks", he says "and?".  Though, he did make somehting once that made DD and I sick but not him, so he's been more careful and realized he has a cast iron stomach.

Ant V

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 07:42:49 PM »
No.