Author Topic: Soup Buffet?  (Read 3622 times)

twinkletoes

Re: Soup Buffet?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 12:19:24 PM »
Just a point about the buffet - can you get disposable bowls for the soup, or have enought clean bowls on hand in case someone wants to try two or more soups?

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 01:44:56 PM »
Yeah, we'll get disposable bowls for sure. We're figuring 20+ people, so we wouldnt have enough bowls for everyone to even try ONE soup unless we're handwashing each bowl and then handing it to someone else.  :-X Plus, I dont relish handwashing all those dishes after the party anyway (sigh... I miss my dishwasher). :P I'm really loathing this party anyway so I'm trying to at least convince myself that having a cool thing, like a soup buffet, will actually make it fun rather than the misery it will probably be.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

edenparadox

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 02:43:52 PM »
Why are you having a party you're not happy about? Hostessing is hard work and if it's going to make you miserable, don't put yourself through this.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 02:49:32 PM »
cultural thing.  ::) When in Rome and all... plus, DF's birthday is the day before mine so its a combo thing for mostly his family.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

magicdomino

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 03:26:46 PM »
What about a chicken noodle or chicken rice soup?  If you have room in the freezer, you can make the chicken stock ahead of time and freeze it, along with the chicken meat.  Then on Party Day, thaw out the stock and chicken and simmer the noodles/rice/mixed vegetables in it.

How To Make Chicken Stock:

Accumulate some bony chicken pieces like backs, necks, and wing tips.  You'll need some meatier portions too, but hold off on cooking them for a while.  On a weekend when you will be hanging around the house anyway, put bony bits into a pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes, until the top gets all scummy.  Either skim off the grey foam OR dump the whole thing into a colander, wipe out the pot, rinse off the chicken, put the chicken back in the pot, refill with water and bring back to a boil.  Add a chopped onion, maybe some celery if you have some, some black pepper (ideally coarsely crushed) and a bay leaf or two.  Bring back to a boil.  Simmer on medium low for at least an hour, but no harm done if it simmers for two or three.  Add meaty bits and simmer some more until the meat is done.  Pull out meaty bits.  Pour stock through a colander into a large bowl.  Toss bony bits and mushy onion.  Pick meat off of the meaty bits and toss the bones.  Cool, skim off fat, and freeze if serving more than a couple of days later.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 11:58:44 PM »

Dang, I just noticed the Roasted Garlic soup requires a blender.  All the best soups do. 

A stick blender would probably work OK, too.  It doesn't take up near the room a regular blender does.

I have both, but I never use the regular blender for soups.  With the stick, you don't have the risk of that horrid boiling geyser happening.