Author Topic: Soup Buffet?  (Read 3633 times)

Issa

Re: Soup Buffet?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 02:26:44 AM »
A Soup Buffet sounds fabulous, especially if you live in a cold climate!!

I know a great tried and true recipe for easy & quick potato leek soup:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000044potato_leek_soup.php

It's pretty basic, but oh so yummy! When I made it I added a bit of spinach. It's a great winter soup. Clam Chowder sounds great as well! I spent some time on the East Coast of the US and had amazing chowder there. Anyone have any good recipes?

Maybe you could also consider doing a chilli? That always goes over well in my experience  ;D

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 04:44:58 PM »

A stick blender would probably work OK, too.  It doesn't take up near the room a regular blender does.

Seconded (thirded?).  These things are cheap and absolutely indespensible when making soup, or any other dish that needs to be kept hot while you liquidise it.

Personally I think the soup buffet idea sounds fantastic, especially in winter (potato and leak, or split pea, mmmmm ), but I have heard people (here on this board, I think) comment that soup isn't a real meal.

edenparadox

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 05:06:13 PM »
Personally I think the soup buffet idea sounds fantastic, especially in winter (potato and leak, or split pea, mmmmm ), but I have heard people (here on this board, I think) comment that soup isn't a real meal.

Heathens! (please ignore any impolitic implications!) Soup can be a meal. Several soups with sides and other nummies is definitely a meal.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 12:38:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I'm excited to try this now! Now I just have to go buy 4 large soup pot thingies and a stick blender. Can you tell how much we are NOT cooks? :P
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 01:10:31 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I'm excited to try this now! Now I just have to go buy 4 large soup pot thingies and a stick blender. Can you tell how much we are NOT cooks? :P

Couldn't you get 4 crockpots at Goodwill?
Not use them to cook, but to keep the soup hot. 

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 01:11:46 AM »

Couldn't you get 4 crockpots at Goodwill?
Not use them to cook, but to keep the soup hot. 

No... they dont have much in the way of 2ndhand shops here (The Netherlands) but i think I can borrow at least 2 from family members (cross fingers).

Phinn

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 02:05:55 AM »
I swear by my stick blender. It's space efficient and you can get a decent one for like $10-20.

We here on my block call it the vrrrm vrrrrm - as in, "Hey - I'm making some mashed potatoes/black bean soup/chocolate mousse - can I borrow your vrrrm vrrrm?" (complete with hand gestures)

Summrs

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 02:33:43 AM »
Immersion blender :)

Ant V

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 07:36:54 PM »
We've done that adding chili so that there's one choice for those that want something sturdier than soup.  We had beef barley  and potato soup and chili.  On the side crackers, french bread, cheese and soup croutons.   You can buy soup in larger cans at the restaurant supply store.  Let them simmer in the slow cooker and it's almost like home made.  Ditto for the chili. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 08:41:59 PM »
Is an Immersion Blender strong enough to puree the garlic in the garlic soup?

Summrs

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 10:42:22 PM »
It should be, yeah, especially if it's roasted garlic or if it's been cooking in the soup for a while. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 12:50:23 AM »
How many bulbs of garlic to get the 44 cloves needed for the garlic soup?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 07:03:25 AM »
How many bulbs of garlic to get the 44 cloves needed for the garlic soup?

3 or 4

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 10:17:07 AM »
...No... they dont have much in the way of 2ndhand shops here (The Netherlands) but i think I can borrow at least 2 from family members (cross fingers).

Do you know why that is? 
I noticed the same thing in Germany.  I asked why and I got a blank look in response. 
It would seem natural, even if as just another form of recycling that so much effort is put into. 

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 11:47:25 AM »
...No... they dont have much in the way of 2ndhand shops here (The Netherlands) but i think I can borrow at least 2 from family members (cross fingers).

Do you know why that is? 
Technically? No, I dont know. My assumption based on the Dutch people I know personally? Becuase no one EVER throws ANYTHING away. This is a place where everyone owns a "jar-scraping tool" and lord help you if you toss out that jar when there is still the TINIEST bit of jame or whatever uneaten. :P So, I think everyone just holds onto all of their junk and passes on to their children to add to THEIR junk. I'm slowly trying to wean DF off of the pointless stuff he insists MIGHT be useful someday in the unforeseen future. :P