Author Topic: Green Leafy Things  (Read 754 times)

edenparadox

Green Leafy Things
« on: September 18, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »
DF and I made a deal. See DF's diet is pretty much meat, pasta, and potatoes. This bothers me for two reasons. One is that he could eat a lot better. The other is that when we have kids I'm going to hear a lot of "But Moooom, Dad doesn't have to eat HIS veggies!!!" and as a reasonable person I would have to agree that this is unfair. So as we're planning for kids in about four years, he has agreed to pick a new veggie to learn to like every 8 months.

His first is apparently things of the green leafy variety, like lettuce and baby spinach. Obviously there is the basic salad option, sprinkled with a little oil. But I suspect that could get boring pretty quick.

So does anyone have any yummy recipes to tempt a carnivore? Anything goes, arugula, spring greens, anything but kale. (His Oma makes kale every Christmas and he HAAAATES it.)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Green Leafy Things
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 08:11:37 PM »
Mmmmmmmm.... Alton Brown's Warm Spinach and Bacon Salad

6 oz. young spinach
6 pcs thick sliced bacon
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

Fry the bacon until crisp, and drain it on a paper towel.  Reserve 3 Tbsp of the bacon grease.

In a small sauce pan over low heat, whisk together the bacon grease, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper, and sugar.  When this mixture is hot, toss with the spinach.  Crumble the bacon and add it in.

Add thinly sliced red onion and/or sliced mushrooms if you like.  Croutons are good too!

Summrs

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 09:12:39 PM »
Korean Seasoned Spinach

10 oz fresh small flat-leaf spinach
2 tb soy sauce
1 ts sugar
1 1/2 ts crushed sesame seeds
1 ts sesame oil
1 tb minced scallion
1 tb vinegar or lemon juice (optional)
Salt
Red pepper threads (optional)

Clean spinach. In bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, sesame seeds, sesame oil, scallion and vinegar.

Bring large pot of lightly salted water to boil.  Add spinach and immerse only until leaves turn bright green.  Drain and rinse immediately in cold water.  Drain and squeeze out as much water as possible.  Place spinach in bowl with soy sauce mixture and toss well.

Serve at once, topped with few red pepper threads, if desired.

===========================

Bok Choy with Hot Bacon Dressing

2 tb sugar 
2 tb vinegar 
2 tb Worcestershire sauce 
1/4 cup chile sauce 
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled; reserve bacon fat 
Oil to make 2 tb, with bacon fat 
3 bunches bok choy, cut up 

Combine first five ingredients in a saucepan; simmer 5 minutes.

Heat oil/bacon fat in a wok or large skillet. Add bok choy, stir fry until crisp tender.  Stir fry stem pieces a minute or two before adding the more tender leaves.

Place on serving dish, spoon hot sauce over.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:16:01 PM »
Okay ladies, I'm DROOLING!! Who would have thought you could make some wonderful treats with "green leafy things"!

edenparadox

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 09:42:06 PM »
I'm drooling too. And who knew... 2 of the 3 include DF's favorite food group: BACON!

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:45:49 PM »

Try a Chinese grocery if you have one available - lots of interesting green leafy vegetables. I live in Taiwan, and these are the equivalent of salad, as raw vegetables are regarded as unhealthy.

Some of them, like Chinese broccoli, are really good sauted with some sesame oil, garlic, ginger and a dash of soy sauce.

They are also good in soups.