Author Topic: house guest with complicated dietary needs  (Read 1809 times)

LizisBusy

house guest with complicated dietary needs
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:22:46 AM »
Starting Friday, we will have a house guest for two weeks.

She has told me that she is diabetic, mostly vegetarian, and on a strict no-carb, gluten free diet.

I'm not sure what to prepare other than lots of plain steamed vegetables.

I asked her what she normally eats day to day and she told me not to worry about it and simply will NOT address the subject with me, even going as far as getting upset with me for asking.

Any have any ideas for recipes?

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: house guest with complicated dietary needs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:24:25 AM »
I'd just let her be in charge of her own meals.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:24:38 AM »
Is it too late to suggest a hotel?  Honestly I would get some veggies, but otherwise when she shows up just tell her the truth.  "You wouldn't tell me what sort of foods to buy, so I'm assuming you have your meals planned, let me know if I can help you cook anything."

edenparadox

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:33:53 AM »
I'd say that was an inconsiderate guest.

Just make sure you have your fruit and veggies stocked. Maybe have some tofu in the fridge. And leave it at that. You're not psychic so you've done all you could.

chigger

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 11:40:19 AM »

]
even going as far as getting upset with me for asking.

Any have any ideas for recipes?

No ideas for recipes, but she'd be on her own, with me.  You've tried the best you can to fine out what to have on hand for her, and she's not cooperating, so to heck with her.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:43:04 AM by chigger »

LizisBusy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:09:11 PM »
I wish she could stay at a hotel, but it's complicated. She's having surgery and won't really be able to go get food or prepare it herself. Which makes it more difficult for me that she's being cranky with me. I really need to know. (I understand the crankiness though - she's very nervous.)

I actually (silly me) hadn't thought about tofu.

edenparadox

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:43:23 PM »
Well then if you have to take care of her and she won't tell you how... guess steamed veggies it is for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mmm.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:41:24 PM »
Ask her what she normally eats- including quantities. Do make sure that you have some sort of high sugar food handy just in case she gets hypoglycaemic- she'll probably carry something like that around though.
NE England

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »

She has told me that she is diabetic, mostly vegetarian, and on a strict no-carb, gluten free diet.

I can't even figure out how this would work.   Don't all vegetables have carbs?

The database at http://www.glycemicindex.com/ can give you a list of low glycemic index foods (where carbs are balanced out by fiber, etc).  Beans are a good low GI food.

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »
Starchy vegetables, beans and corn are high in carbs (some higher GI than others).  Things like tomato, lettuce, onion, spinach, etc, are pretty low.

What does mostly vegetarian mean, anyway?

I would suggest having a dozen eggs, yoghurt, tofu, nuts, and a variety of fresh vegetables on hand.  I wouldn't buy the meat substitutes as they may contain gluten and she may not like them anyway.  You could try googling 'low carb vegetarian recipes' for some ideas but honestly I'd be very inclined to do as others have said and let her make her own meals until she decides to become more helpful.

I am sorry she is being such a difficult guest.  It's very generous of you to accommodate her for two weeks.  Usually when I am a houseguest I just ask for the materials to make cheese sandwiches.  All else is a bonus.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:32:11 PM »

Just make sure you have your fruit and veggies stocked. Maybe have some tofu in the fridge. And leave it at that. You're not psychic so you've done all you could.

POD. If you're really worried, you can go to the local grocery store. Usually (at least here) there is a "all natural" section. That's where I've seen a lot of gluten free, diabetic, etc... products.
Your guest is probably trying not to make a big deal out of it for consideration to you and doesn't realize she's making it worse by not letting you know how to plan.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 05:41:21 PM »

Gluten free pasta and rice or potatoes for carbs. Lots of veggies. Eggs, soy, quorn, nuts for protein

demetra

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 03:06:59 PM »
Gluten-Free Pancakes

1 cup rice flour
3 tablespoons tapioca flour
1/3 cup potato starch
4 tablespoons dry buttermilk powder
1 packet sugar substitute
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 eggs
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups water

In a bowl, mix or sift together the rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, dry buttermilk powder, sugar substitute, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum. Stir in eggs, water, and oil until well blended and few lumps remain.  Heat a large, well-oiled skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Spoon batter onto skillet and cook until bubbles begin to form. Flip, and continue cooking until golden brown on bottom. Serve immediately with condiments of your choice.

Black Bean and Rice Salad

2 tomatoes, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, minced
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/4 teaspoons dried cilantro
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn; drain and reserve liquid
1 (15 ounce) can black beans; drain and reserve liquid
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, cilantro, basil, red pepper flakes, corn, and beans. Stir to combine the vegetables, then set aside.  In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil at a medium-low heat. Add onions and saute until they are translucent. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Pour in rice and toss to coat. Add reserved liquid from the corn and beans, along with any additional liquid as directed on the rice box. Cook the rice to package specifications. Let the rice cool slightly. Combine the rice and vegetable mixture. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Fennel and Orange Salad

1 bulb fennel, trimmed and sliced
2 large oranges, sliced into rounds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
salt to taste
2 bunches arugula - rinsed, dried and chopped

Place the fennel and orange in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar; sprinkle with poppyseeds and salt. Chill and serve over a bed of arugula.

Gazpacho
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
5 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tomatoes, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 1/2 cups navy beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a 4-quart serving bowl or soup tureen, combine cucumber, bell pepper, green onion, garlic, tomatoes, celery, navy beans, olive oil, vinegar and tomato juice Season with cumin, parsley, basil, oregano and salt. Adjust spices and seasonings to taste. Chill in refrigerator at least 4 hours before serving cold.

Apricot Lentil Soup

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup dried apricots
1 1/2 cups red lentils
5 cups chicken stock
3 roma (plum) tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Saute onion, garlic, and apricots in olive oil. Add lentils and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, and season with cumin, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Puree 1/2 of the soup in a blender, then return to the pot. Serve.

Butternut Squash Pizzas with Rosemary
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1/2 butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
salt and black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 (16 ounce) package refrigerated pizza crust dough
1 tablespoon cornmeal
2 tablespoons grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Place sliced onion and squash in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; toss to coat. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until onions are lightly browned and squash is tender; set aside. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). On a floured surface, roll each ball of dough into an 8 inch round. Place the rounds on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal (you may need 2 baking sheets depending on their size). Distribute squash mixture over the two rounds and continue baking for 10 minutes, checking occasionally, or until the crust is firm. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining tablespoon olive oil. Cut into quarters, and serve

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 10:34:04 PM »

I would tell her straight out

"Look, I need to know what you can eat so I can buy food for when you visit, and your refusal to discuss it is making it really difficult for me. You either need to tell me what you can eat, or you need to bring all your own food with you when you come, because I'm not going to be able to keep running out to get stuff after you arrive."

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 06:16:32 AM »
OK, fried tofu is tasty.
Cut it into large cubes, fry in very little olive oil, and season well with fresh herbs.

Can also coat fried tofu in splenda and cinnamon, as a tasty desert.

If she is allowed eggs, make an egg white and vegetable omelette, season with fresh herbs.

Vegetable soup comes to mind.

If she is seriously keeping carbs down avoid  or limit potatoes, pumpkin,corn, peas, root vegetables like parsnips/swede/carrots.
Anything really dark green is GOOD, broccoli, coliflower,cabbage, green beans, beets

You can get carb reduced bread.

Sugar Free jello is good.

All I can think of for the moment, I will post more as I remember it.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia