Author Topic: Veggie chili-no soy, please  (Read 1547 times)

littlelauraj

• My world
Veggie chili-no soy, please
« on: August 24, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »
Every year my husband and I host an open-house chili feed.  This year one of our invitees is a Hindu gentleman that Todd works with.  I think this means the chili should be vegan?  Is that right?  At least vegetarian, I know that.  I asked hubby to ask the gentleman in question what his preference might be but he didn't get it done before the man went back to India for an extended stay.  By the time he gets back chili feed will be upon us, and I'm trying to cook in advance and freeze it.

So I'm looking for some "tried and true" recipes that any of you may have.  Hubby and I can't have soy, so TVP, etc. is out.  Any ideas?

edenparadox

Re: Veggie chili-no soy, please
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:23:16 PM »
I think it just means you can't use beef because cows are sacred animals in India. If you want to be safe you can avoid using other meat too.

Try something like this:

VEGETARIAN CHILI   

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
14 oz. can tomatoes
1 c. dried red kidney beans, soaked, cooked and drained or 2 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans
1/2 c. dried whole green lentils, simmered in plenty of water for 40-45 minutes until tender
1 tsp. mild paprika
1-2 tbsp. chili powder
Salt and freshly green pepper
A little salt

Heat oil in large saucepan and saute the onion and pepper for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add tomatoes. Drain the beans and lentils, reserving liquid. Add broth to the tomato mixture, along with the paprika and chili powder. Simmer for 15 minutes, adding the bean water for consistency. Season, add sugar, garnish and serve.

Serves 4.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:25:30 PM by edenparadox »

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 03:51:05 PM »
Every year my husband and I host an open-house chili feed.  This year one of our invitees is a Hindu gentleman that Todd works with.  I think this means the chili should be vegan?  Is that right?  At least vegetarian, I know that.  I asked hubby to ask the gentleman in question what his preference might be but he didn't get it done before the man went back to India for an extended stay.  By the time he gets back chili feed will be upon us, and I'm trying to cook in advance and freeze it.

So I'm looking for some "tried and true" recipes that any of you may have.  Hubby and I can't have soy, so TVP, etc. is out.  Any ideas?

Ok, this is off the top of my head, so you may want to do a "test batch" before serving it "live"

Base:
2 cans of dark red kidney beans
2 cans of light red kidney beans
1-2 cans of diced tomatoes
(1-2 lb. Ground beef would also go here, or meat substitute, or chicken, pork, etc. Or nothing at all.)
Rough-chopped medium to large onion

Main Spices/Flavors (use to taste)
Chili power (to taste, but taste as you go)
chopped garlic (2 generous spoonfuls)
onion powder (2 good shakes)
garlic powder (2 good shakes)
basil (2 good shakes)
oregeno (2 good shakes)
Worcester Sauce (about 2 tablespoons)
Tomato Sauce (enough to get the chili sauce started, probably no more than 1/4 to 1/2 a cup)

Optional Spices/Flavors (use to taste)
Honey, Pancake syrup, molasses (good for playing with sweet/spicy tongue battles, also a component in regular BBQ sauce, if you decide to use these, you'll have to add extra chili powder for it to taste like chili)
Coco power (watch out! a very little goes a very long way, this adds an interesting bitter "smoky" flavor, it will make your chili look much, much darker)
A1 Sauce (helps with robustness)
Fresh Cilantro, chopped (gives nice "fresh" flavor and a Mexican twist)
Canned Mushrooms (Adds more texture esp. if there's no meat)
Kosher Salt
Ground or Cracked Pepper
Jalepeņos (added "owie" factor)
Horseradish (helps add more zing to the chili and plays well with the garlic)
Ginger (nice zing factor)

Directions: (assuming no meat)

Spray a large skillet with Pam (or lubrication of choice) and cook the onions and chopped garlic in Pam, once they're well-cooked add the beans (include the bean juice), tomatoes (with juice) and anything else solid (from the optional list) you've decided to use.

Next, add the items from the main spice/flavor section. Once it starts to taste like chili consider adding the items from the optional menu. Start slow, taste and add as you go. Return to the "basic" spices/flavors when it starts to taste out of balance. 

(Also, drink milk, water, ginger ale or whatever in between tastings to clear your palette. And don't forget to wash your spoon inbetween!)
(Don't worry about the amount or consistency of the sauce, that'll work itself out, trust me.)

Once you're happy with the taste ... STOP! Put all your spices away and let it cook at a simmer to near-boil. The longer it cooks, the thicker the consistency. Stir occasionally to prevent anything from getting burned. If it does a little, don't worry about it. According to my dad it, "adds character."

Remember, good chili is a lot like jazz. It kind of creates itself. (And I've never had 2 batches come out the same!)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:52:45 PM by Oxymoroness »

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 06:00:31 PM »
Thanks, both of you have given me some good ideas.  I've been thinking about using chana dal, too, as that is something that I like.  If we determine that the problem is beef rather than animal products in general I may go ahead and make turkey chili. 

Really, thanks.  I had TVP stuck in my head and couldn't think past it.   ::)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »
This has chicken in it, but I think you could just leave it out.   It's even better frozen and reheated, it breaks the vegetables down a bit more.  It's also not super-spicy, so you can punch it up if need be.

Chicken Cannellini Chili
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 medium onions, chopped(1 cup)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 15- or 19-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans or navy or Great Northern beans)
1 14 1/2 ounce can chili-style chunky tomatoes
2 5-ounce cans or one 12 1/2 ounce can chunk-style chicken, drained and flaked (I find canned chicken expensive, you can use whatever shredded cooked chicken you'd like)
1 10-ounce package frozen peas and carrots (I used mixed vegetables meant for soup or regular mixed vegetables)
1 6-ounce can tomato juice (I use a larger can -- about soda can size)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)

Heat oil in a large saucepan.  Cook and stir onions and garlic in hot oil
for 3 minutes.  Stir in undrained beans, undrained tomatoes, chicken, peas
and carrots, tomato juice, chili powder, seasoned salt, and cumin.

Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until
mixture is heated through.  Spoon into soup bowls. Sprinkle each serving
with shredded cheese.  Makes 4 or 5 servings.

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 11:00:26 AM »
Dh just let me know that our special guest is in fact a vegetarian, but not vegan, so this will be much easier than I thought.  No turkey chili, though!   ;)

LauraF, I like a recipe that is better frozen and reheated.  I would like to get to the week before this party with most of the food already made so I can concentrate on other things, like massive cleaning binges. 

Lady Vavasour

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 06:22:36 PM »
I have family who are Hindu. They are vegetarian--no eggs, but dairy products are OK.

Vegetarian chilli is really easy--just substitute kidney beans or chickpeas (or both) for the meat and have lots of vegetables!

joho

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 10:59:17 AM »
cross posted in the crockpot thread...

2 cans S&W chipotle beans
1 can black beans, drained
1 can Red Gold chili-ready tomatoes
1/2 can Red Gold tomatoes w/chiles
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium green pepper (chopped)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 anaheim or other mild pepper (chopped)
1 package McCormick Tex-Mex chili mix
1 Tbsp cocoa
3 oz red wine (optional)
5 oz water

Put beans and tomatoes into sprayed crockpot.  Saute peppers and onion in olive oil over medium high heat, stirring frequently.  When just beginning to wilt and brown, add chili mix and stir well.  Continue cooking for one minute then add to crockpot.  Mix cocoa into beans and peppers and stir very well.  Add wine and water and stir well.  Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.

Makes 8 servings.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 11:46:17 AM »

Quorn is an excellent maet substitute and I won't touch soy either. As it's already cooked Quorn meals take a lot less cooking. The website has a menu for chili http://www.quorn.us/cmpage.aspx?pageid=501&recipeid=35 but I use my own sauce, just add the Quorn five minutes before the end. It's good when you are trying to recreate a chili experience.

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 06:00:36 PM »
Bethalize, thanks for the tip about Quorn.  I'll have to see if I can find any around here.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 04:37:03 AM »

I know Hindus who don't eat beef, ones who don't eat red meat, and ones who are vegetarians - I don't know any vegans though. Alcohol is often banned too.

At a work dinner where there was a Hindu attending, the guy ordering the dishes was trying hard, but one of the dishes he ordered was drunken chicken - fine on the meat end, but containing wine.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 10:28:07 PM »
Substitute lentils for beef. Lentils have a wonderful meaty-beany flavor and they're very good for you.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 10:35:22 PM »
I don't have a recipe, but the local market here has "veggie" ground meat. It might be a good substitute in a standard meat recipe.

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 11:07:10 PM »
Auntie, I've been thinking about lentils since I love them so much.  My mom, during a veggie phase, used to make these wonderful lentil burgers that I've been craving lately.

I suppose that I should buckle down and try out a recipe or two.  It will be October before I know it.

Trish, thanks for the suggestion but the "veggie meat" you're suggesting is usually the soy stuff.

dinakitten

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 01:56:23 AM »
Bethalize, thanks for the tip about Quorn.  I'll have to see if I can find any around here.

Stopping by just to sing the praises of Quorn. YAY QUORN! (Mmm goat-cheese and cranberry "chicken" cutlets.... mmmmm)