Author Topic: house guest with complicated dietary needs  (Read 1864 times)

Ant V

Re: house guest with complicated dietary needs
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 07:32:36 PM »
Sometimes we have to do exactly what people want us to do not what we think they want us to do.  If she says don't worry about it, don't worry about it.  My mother was a vegetarian and would get embarrassed if people tried to make an issue of her needs.   Unless the cook intentionally cooked a strictly meat meal with nothing else (I can't think of a time that happened) she managed to happily find enough to eat and managed to live to the age of 81.   She could be happy with a slice of bread wrapped around a piece of cheese.  Don't intentional prepare food that she can't eat, but on the other hand, don't make such a chore of avoiding those things.  Let her get involved in the shopping and the preparation.  You might be surprised. 

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 11:28:44 PM »
Sometimes we have to do exactly what people want us to do not what we think they want us to do.  If she says don't worry about it, don't worry about it.  My mother was a vegetarian and would get embarrassed if people tried to make an issue of her needs.   Unless the cook intentionally cooked a strictly meat meal with nothing else (I can't think of a time that happened) she managed to happily find enough to eat and managed to live to the age of 81.   She could be happy with a slice of bread wrapped around a piece of cheese.  Don't intentional prepare food that she can't eat, but on the other hand, don't make such a chore of avoiding those things.  Let her get involved in the shopping and the preparation.  You might be surprised. 

I think the problem is that the guest is having surgery and *won't* be able to do any shopping, cooking, planning or preparation, so the onus of all of it is on the host.  So the OP has to choose between letting a sick guest go hungry, or having to run out, buy new stuff, check to see if that's okay, have what she's prepared rejected, go out, buy more stuff and try again.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 01:19:00 AM »
Adding to the list :

Tomotoes and cucumbers and Aubergine [eggplants] are all good.

Dried beans and pulses are good.

Be carefull of the artificial sugars you use, as some can upset diabetics.
I believe splenda is OK.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

dinakitten

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 01:52:15 AM »
The combo of 1) vegetarian 2) no carb and 3) gluten free seems crazy to me.

I'm strict veggie, and I've lowered my 'bad' carbs (refined flour and sugar) but I eat gluten in massive quantities and feel like I would starve if I didn't. Seitan is often nearly pure protein - it's also pure wheat gluten.

I know veggies who have to be gluten-free - but they eat a lot of carbs.

And I know gluten-free Atkins fanatics - but they subsist on a diet made almost entirely of meat.

<scratches head> Eggs, nuts, and lentils (are there carbs in lentils?) are about all I can think of. Dairy too, but I know that has some carbs, though not a ton...

If she's really strict on the no-carbs, fruits will be out, but most vegetables should be fine - but one cannot live on vegetables alone...