Author Topic: Bean soup/dish ideas?  (Read 1156 times)

Xena_Xavier

Bean soup/dish ideas?
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:54:25 AM »
Due to a cooking project that never quite got off the ground - I was going to try and learn to make Chinese sweet blackbean buns - I now have a large quantity of dried black beans taking up shelf space in my kitchen.

Does anyone know any good soup, stew, casserole, etc. dishes, something quick and simple, that I can make with black beans?  It doesn't have to be Asian, though I love cooking Asian, Indian, Mexican.  I'm a vegan, so I was hoping for a nice, thick wintery soup recipe.  My husband eats meat sometimes, and I cook with a lot of mock meat/tofu, so recipes with meat will also be welcome.

As for the sweet bun idea, I wrecked enough ingredients trying to make sweet redbean paste buns.  I just can't get the hang of making the dough thin enough.  Oh, well, the rest of the redbean paste is going in a pie!

Many thanks to anyone who can help.  Allrecipes.com doesn't seem to have much in the way of black bean ideas.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
Re: Bean soup/dish ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:31:29 PM »

A good bean soup recipe - I use mixed beans, but black should be fine.  I add ham to it, but it should be fine without.  The recipe assumes the beans have been soaked.

Saute onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, red peppers, and a bit of garlic. Add water, rosemary, bay leaf and chopped parsely and the beans and simmer until soft. Near the end, add corn, green beans and  a can or two of V8 juice (or a can of chopped tomatoes with juice). Season with salt and pepper to taste.

It's important to not add acidic ingredients or salt until right near the end, or the beans will toughen.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »
This is also over in the Cookbook category.  What I like about it is that you can make it many different ways.  You can also make it with dried ingredients, as long as they've been well soaked beforehand. 

5-Can Bean Soup

I got this off the Hillbilly Housewise website, and have made several variations of it.  The original version is vegetarian, and it's very good and very cheap.  It can also be made either on the stove or in a crockpot, although I've never made it on the stove.

1 15-oz can each of:
chickpeas
kidney beans
white beans
green beans (string)
tomatoes (diced or stewed)

2 tbsp dry onion
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp basil
salt and black pepper to taste.

Optional:  Parmeson to sprinkle on top.

Stovetop:  Open all the cans, and toss them, juice and all, into a large pot.  Stir in the seasonings.  Heat over medium heat until the mixture simmers, about 20 minutes, and serve.  Makes about 6 large servings.

Crockpot:  Open all the cans and toss them, juice and all, into a crockpot.  (I'm not sure how large mine is, but it's not one of the smaller ones.)  Stir in the seasonings.  Heat on high until it bubbles, and then turn it to low.  It'll simmer for hours until you're ready to eat.  Makes about six large servings.

Variations:
(1)  Since we don't care for chickpeas, I use another type of bean like chili beans or pinto beans or black beans.  They all work well.  Just add them to the mixture the same as the other beans.

(2)  Due to being out of some types of beans in the past I've made this with black beans, white beans, kidney beans, chili beans, pinto beans, black-eyed peas, or even pork and beans.  As long as there are three or four types of beans, this still tastes good.

(3)  I've made this soup with regular canned tomatoes, regular stewed tomatoes, Italian stewed tomatoes, and Mexican stewed tomatoes with green chili peppers.  It's best with the Mexican tomatoes, with the Italian tomatoes a close second.  This could also be made with fresh tomatoes.  Just be sure to add more seasoning if you use regular or fresh tomatoes. 

(4)  This is also very good cooked with smoked sausage or kielbasa.  I've made it this way both with and without the string beans, and it's better without the string beans if you make it with the sausage or kielbasis. 

(5)  This freezes very well.  I've put frozen soup from different batches together, and it always comes out good.  I've also accidentally added frozen home-made spaghetti sauce, and that's also very good.  With the spaghetti sauce this soup came out very much like Minestrone soup.   

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
I know it's not soup, but this is from a friend, is simple and WE LOVE IT!!

Black Bean & Feta Dip

Ingredients

2 cans white shoepeg corn, drained
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 packages feta cheese
1-2 bunches green onions

Dressing:
˝ cup extra light olive oil (Note: do not use extra virgin – it makes a big difference)
˝ cup sugar
˝ cup apple cider vinegar
garlic powder
salt and pepper

Directions

Mix together all ingredients of dressing and toss with remaining ingredients. Serve with Fritos (The Scoops! are great!) Makes a lot!!

Here are some soups with black beans that are in the Cookbook Project Folder -

Chicken Taco Soup from Hijinks - http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.msg99293#msg99293

Taco Soup from Just Lori  - http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.msg42771#msg42771.

I have a couple of more recipes in my own stash (appetizers), but they are more complicated.  Let me know if you want those as well, though!

~ Cristen

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:51:48 PM by SkylerY »

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 04:17:42 PM »
Aha, found a few more soups/casserole in my "stash", I knew I had 'em!!  I know you're vegan, but I'll leave the recipes intact for you to substitute  (or eliminate) as you desire . . .

Tortilla Black Bean Casserole

Ingredients

2 cups onion(s) chopped 
1 1/2 cup green pepper chopped 
1 14.5-ounce can tomatoes cut up 
3/4 cup picante sauce (salsa) mild or medium 
2 cloves garlic minced 
2 tsp. ground cumin   
2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained  (can also use 1 can black beans, 1 can of kidney beans if desired) 
12 6-inch corn tortillas   
2 cups  shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar/Jack combo cheese   

Instructions

In a large skillet, combine onion, green pepper, undrained tomatoes, picante sauce, garlic and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the beans.

In a 13 x 9 baking pan (lasagna pan size or so), spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom. Top with half of the tortillas, overlapping as necessary, and then half of the cheese (1 cup). Add another 1/3 of the bean mixture, remaining tortillas and bean mixture. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Top with optional items if desired: sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, green onions, sliced black olives, sour cream, salsa. 

Slow Cooker Black Beans

Ingredients

16 ounces dry black beans  rinse, drain 
5 garlic cloves minced   
1  bell pepper  chopped 
1 large onion  chopped 
2 bay leaves   
28 ounces canned diced tomatoes  undrained 
28 ounces water   
2 T olive oil   
1/2 tsp cumin   
1/2 tsp oregano   
1 tsp. salt   
a dash or two of  chili pepper flakes  you can use canned green chilis, fresh chopped hot pepper, etc.

Instructions

Stir all ingredients together in the crock pot/slow cooker.

Turn to HIGH and cook for 8 hours or until beans are tender.

Remove bay leaves.

Serve over freshly cooked rice and, preferably (in my opinion) lots of grated cheddar cheese.

Black Bean Soup

Ingredients

4-15oz cans black beans   
3 slices bacon  chopped 
1 tbl olive oil   
1-12oz bottle beer   
1/2 cup water   
1 tsp dry sherry   
3/4 cup diced onion   
1/2 cup diced green peppers   
2 tsp minced garlic   
1/4 tsp ground cumin   
2 tsp tobasco   
to taste adobo seasoning   

Instructions

Heat oil in a pot on medium heat.
Add the chopped bacon and sauté for 1 minute.
Add the peppers, onions and garlic. Sauté for approximately 2 minutes.
Add the beer and Tabasco sauce, and bring to a boil.
Add 3 cans of beans with their juice and bring back to a boil.
Using a hand held kitchen blender, puree the soup until smooth.
Add the remaining 1 can of beans and bring back to a boil.
Add the Sherry wine, and season to taste with Adobo seasoning or salt and pepper.
Serve hot with sour cream or steamed rice.

Mexican Lasagna

Ingredients

10 tortilla, tear into quarters 
 1 can black beans   
 1 can corn   
 2 cups salsa   
 2 cups cheese (any kind)  shredded!! 

Directions

heat oven to 350. best if made in square 9x9 pan.

mix beans, corn and salsa together in a bowl. lay a layer of tortilla pieces on the bottom, add 1/3 of the mixture, 1/3 of the cheese. repeat til pan is fulL!

cook 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and dish is heated all the way through--easy and delicious! top with sour cream if desired

~ Cristen
~ Cristen

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:31:41 PM by SkylerY »

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 04:48:49 PM »
Do vegans eat cheese?

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 06:22:27 PM »
Do vegans eat cheese?

I don't think so, but perhaps it can be left off in some dishes.

~ Cristen

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 06:26:08 PM »
Do vegans eat cheese?

I don't think so, but perhaps it can be left off in some dishes.

~ Cristen

I wasn't sure, I looked it up after that post.  :-[

Xena_Xavier

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 10:14:33 AM »
Many thanks, everyone!  For the record: no, vegans don't eat cheese, but there is soy cheese available.  Not as wide a variety as you can find in the US (I live in Australia), but pretty good nonetheless.  Traditionally vegans don't eat any dairy or eggs.

I love the idea of a bean casserole, I can't wait to try that one.  I do make bean enchiladas, it never occurred to me that I could cook up and mash my black beans.

I wouldn't mind finding a recipe for my own Chinese black bean sauce - we like to grill strips of mock beef teriyaki-style glazed with bean sauce.

If anyone has any more recipes, we'd love to have them!  Thanks!

Missyb

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »
I just made this.  I didn't like it because it was way to spicy for me but I got a lot of compliments on it and people asking for the recipe.

Herbed Rice and Spicy Black Bean Salad

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups cold, cooked white rice
1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped black olives
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS
Make a seasoning by mixing together the basil, thyme, parsley, cilantro, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl.
Gently mix together the rice, black beans, celery, olives, and green onions in a large bowl. Season the rice mixture with 1 teaspoon of the seasoning.
Make a dressing by whisking the vinegar and olive oil with the seasoning; allow to rest for 10 minutes. Pour the dressing over the rice mixture; stir to combine.