News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 06, 2016, 05:55:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Healthy snacks?  (Read 1593 times)

MOM21SON

Re: Healthy snacks?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »

Zizi-K

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »
Mmm. Snacks.

I also vote for nuts and nut butters, but obviously, you need to pay attention to serving size. It's quite sating. A nice sweet-and-salty treat is bumps on a log. (Fill celery sticks with your nut butter of choice--I like Adam's natural peanut butter--and top with dried raisins.) It also takes awhile to eat because of the strings.

Soup is another great choice. If you've a good sense of adventure, try Eternal Soup. (It's the brainchild of Crescent Dragonwagon.) Essentially, you make a nice vegetable-and-bean soup, then replenish it with whatever you have on hand as you reheat it. Put in some extra veggies and some more broth or tomatoes or whatever. Obviously, you have to store it in the fridge between heating-and-eatings. You can tailor it to your tastes and needs. [Mine, which I just started last night, started with equal parts carrot, celery, peeled potato, and scallion. I then added a few cloves of garlic, a can of diced tomatoes, most of a carton of unsalted veggie stock, some thyme, and half a bay leaf. After everything started to get soft, I added half a bag of baby kale and spinach blend and a cut-up crookneck squash, then seasoned with pesto, salt, and pepper. I forgot to put in the green beans that I had bought, so they'll go in with some extra liquid the next time I heat it up. It's always delicious. I wouldn't add dairy or eggs--use them on top of individual servings if you want--but pretty much anything else goes. Grains and pasta can be risky due to the potential for gumminess and/or absorbing all of your liquid, but if you're into stew-y soups, maybe you'd like that.]

I like air-popped popcorn. I put nutritional yeast, garlic salt, and pepper on mine. Butter or olive oil depends on my mood. Other grains and seeds are also poppable, though I'm not sure how many will work in a hot air popper. (Sorghum, amaranth, quinoa, and wild rice are apparently all poppable. However, it looks like most sources recommend using the stovetop method.)

If you are feeling extra-adventurous, you can try making your own baked potato chips, kale chips, or vegetable juice pulp crackers.

I also really love dip with crudités, but I tend to overeat. Luckily, hummus is pretty healthy.

You mentioned liking salsa. How about a small baked potato with salsa and a sprinkle of cheese? Or maybe a mini-wrap. If a tortilla would be too filling, use a leaf of some sort. You can do that with hummus and veggies, too. Crunchy and feels very virtuous.

Finally, you can't go too far wrong with pickles, unless you need to avoid salt. If you need to avoid salt, pickles are probably a bad idea.

What does nutritional yeast taste like? I've heard of people using it before, but never knew anyone personally to ask. Beyond flavor, what is the nutritional benefit? Thanks!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »
What does nutritional yeast taste like? I've heard of people using it before, but never knew anyone personally to ask. Beyond flavor, what is the nutritional benefit? Thanks!

It has a nutty, cheese like flavor. I like it on popcorn.  :)

It also is high in B vitamins, protein, chromium, selenium, and a bunch of other vitamins and minerals. I like KAL the best http://www.vitaminlife.com/index/page/product/product_id/4332/product_name/Nutritional+Yeast+Flakes?gclid=Cj0KEQiA_MK0BRDQsf_bsZS-_OIBEiQADPf--iM2DFestD6-5-5arVx7l2sRcQKhGGi3maFEuKAAg_4aAl9V8P8HAQ
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

#borecore

• Formerly marvellous, now a bore
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 10:56:44 PM »
We buy nutritional yeast in bulk bins at Whole Foods  (they also sell it by bottled herbs and spices, but the per-pound price is double). I use/store it in an old Parmesan shaker. It's basically useful wherever you might sprinkle a touch of Parmesan. The flavor is primarily salty, a little umami or nutty.
I make a decent vegan "queso" dip or sauce by mixing it over medium heat with nondairy milk and salsa or vegetables. It dissolves and creates a creamy texture.
I honestly enjoy it, but if I didn't marry a sometime-vegan, I probably would pass.

For the OP, I agree with many others: popcorn, carrot sticks, hummus, salsa, fruit.

I satisfy my sweet (chocolate) tooth by making a little cup of trail mix with mostly unsalted nuts, a bit of dried fruit and a very small number of dark chocolate chips. I am much more satisfied when I eat this than when I eat chocolate by itself. I also like the "cocoa-dusted almonds" you can buy in small packets. They don't have any sugar added, but the cocoa makes it feel like a sweet treat.

jpcher

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2016, 02:42:23 PM »
I've been trying to figure out a way to have small servings of air-popped popcorn just kind of on hand, since I have an air popper and I love popcorn. It's a lot more filling than chips, I'm pretty sure it has more actual nutrients, and of course it's a lot fewer calories. I think that I could theoretically pop a lot of popcorn at once and then store it (if I store it before putting anything on it), but I haven't tried it.

I do this all the time. I have a certain tupperware container designated as my popcorn saver. It's the perfect size to fit one bag of microwave popcorn (minus one serving, that I have to eat before storing otherwise it won't all fit). A serving size, to me, is maybe 1-1/2 cups or less. I keep it on my kitchen counter and might even nibble on just a few kernels now and then just to curb a hungry craving.

I don't think I've ever stored it for more than a week, because it's usually gone by then ;), but the last serving is still just as fresh/good as the first.

Make sure that the popcorn is cooled all the way through before putting the lid on the container, otherwise it will get just a bit soggyish and not have that perfect crispy crunch.

eta: OP -- Thanks for starting this thread! There's quite a few tasty options here that I'm going to have to try. ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:46:14 PM by jpcher »

jpcher

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 02:53:31 PM »
Hmmmmm -- your Edamae Dip with celery link is the same as the broccoli salad.

Would you please provide the correct link? I'm finding that I really like Edamae, but not sure what to do with it other than tossing it in salads.

Thanks!

ladyknight1

• Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2016, 04:53:43 PM »
I made vegetable soup today with 1 cup peeled potatoes, cubed, 1 cup peeled carrots, cubed, mushrooms, frozen peas, frozen butter beans, frozen corn, and onion. I used Better than Bouillon vegetable base and the water, then cooked for 15 minutes in my pressure cooker. I used a potato masher to break up some of the potato and beans, then added additional corn, peas and beans and a can of tomato sauce. It is delicious and filling, without being high in sodium.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 06:56:55 AM »
Hmmmmm -- your Edamae Dip with celery link is the same as the broccoli salad.

Would you please provide the correct link? I'm finding that I really like Edamae, but not sure what to do with it other than tossing it in salads.

Thanks!

Fixed in the post. Thanks for letting me know.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/edamame-dip-recipe.html

mstigerlily

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 08:02:25 PM »
Almonds are such a great healthy option. They are full of protein, healthy fats and great nutrients.

For a great salty snack, try roasted chickpeas. You can toss them in any spice you like- cumin and chili are so good! Here's a recipe: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-219753.

jpcher

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2016, 05:09:50 PM »
Thanks, Hmmmmm. That dip sounds yummy.

Peppergirl

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 05:39:34 PM »
I'm watching this thread with interest.  You guys are so knowledgeable!

I also enjoy the Sargento balanced breaks, but I try to catch them on sale.  I love Publix, but they're very pricey on some items.  :'(

blarg314

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 10:13:57 PM »

If you don't get bored too easily, you could do something different for each week, but make a week's batch at once, on Sunday evening, and eat it through the week. 

For soups, you've got your basic vegetable soup, to which you can add a bit of barley or rice (avoid noodles - they'll soak up all the liquid) or pureed vegetable soups (broccoli, carrot, asparagus, squash etc). Or make some yoghurt based dip or hummus, and cut up some vegetables into a container, and have a handful of veggies and a bit of dip. One of my favourite yoghurt based dips is yoghurt + Indian lime pickle, which is wonderfully flavourful. I like roasted chickpeas as well.

Granola could be a good option, if you're careful about portion size - it's pretty healthy, but can be calorically dense. One of my favourite mixes is 4 parts oats to 1 part millet, 1 part shelled pumpkin seeds, 1 part flaked almonds. Then I mix that with molasses, a bit of oil, slivered orange zest, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and vanilla (enough liquid to moisten, and warm in the microwave before adding it to the dry ingredients).

ladyknight1

• Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »
In class, one of my fellow students eats cucumbers, carrots and celery cut into 5" long strips and he brings a yogurt dip with ranch seasoning in it. Looks pretty good!

auntmeegs

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 12:01:29 PM »
In class, one of my fellow students eats cucumbers, carrots and celery cut into 5" long strips and he brings a yogurt dip with ranch seasoning in it. Looks pretty good!

I do this every afternoon, except I use a bean dip.  I have made my own before but this one http://betterbeanco.com/?bean=roasted-chipotle-bean-dip is so good and all natural that now I mostly just use this.