News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 07, 2016, 02:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need Suggestion for a Green Side Dish for Thanksgiving...  (Read 660 times)

rain

Re: Need Suggestion for a Green Side Dish for Thanksgiving...
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 06:50:39 PM »
my old Betty Crocker Cook Book has green onions with carrots (shredded) and garlic - when ever I've made it people liked it .... the vegans in the groups enjoy it as well & are surprised that I've come up with something new & tasty they can eat.

if anyone is interested I can't find it one line, but I will send it via pm .... just might take me a bit to type it up
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:56:51 PM by rain »
In search of a tag line

doodlemor

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 11:42:58 PM »
I made this easy dish several weeks ago, and it was absolutely easy and delicious.  The leftovers were even better the next day.  I'm planning to do it for Thanksgiving. 

Swiss Chard Gratin - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cheesy-chard-gratin

I used Swiss cheese instead of the Gruyère, Dijon mustard instead of whole grain, and also added a bit of garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

My supermarket had "red chard."   I have no idea if this tastes any different than regular Swiss Chard, but it certainly looked beautiful and Christmas - y.  [The leaves were still green, but the stems were red.]

Next time I  make it I will probably use half and half instead of cream, because the cheese makes it rich enough.

I'm sure that you could put it together in the morning, and then bake it later on just before dinner. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 01:01:08 PM »
Bacon-wrapped green bean bundles are a huge hit at our family celebrations. There are tons of recipes you can find on Google.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

cicero

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »
Mediterranean /Greek style green beans are scrumptious and believe me,  nary a drop of condensed anything.  I think I posted my recipe here once years ago,  I'll search for it. Can be made ahead,  and even can be served room temp.

Roast vegetables- squash,  carrots,  eggplant slices, red onion wedges,  peppers etc.  Lightly brush with olive oil,  sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh or dried herbs.

I nth the roasted Brussels sprouts suggestion.  Delicious.

Tabouli if your crowd likes it,  or make it grain-less (finely chopped tomatoes,  cucumber,  red onion or scallion,  fresh mint,  fresh parsley,  lemon juice,  oil,  salt and pepper.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

JoieGirl7

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 02:35:36 AM »
Wow!  Thank you for all of the suggestions.  Although, I hate the typical bean green casserole, ladyknight1's suggestion (Gouda green beans) looks very tasty.  KimberlyM's brussel sprouts sound mouthwatering, except for the brussel sprouts:)  I think I'll either go with OutdoorGirl's suggestion of a tossed salad or maybe this cold pea salad recipe: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cold_pea_salad/

I like the idea of a cold dish - I left this out in my OP - because DH usually has control of the oven all day.

Brussels Sprouts, cooked properly can be very good.  I grew up hating them just like everyone else!
My husband and I usually roast them in the oven with salt, pepper and olive oil. But, I have pan fried them too!

There were a lot of the things my mom cooked in ways that did little to bring out the flavors.  Asparagus has a nice nutty taste when roasted that is completely lost when it's boiled or sauted, especially if its overcooked.

She also had a peculiar way of serving fish.  I don't know what kind of fish it was, but if we had fish, it was a square of white with rings of onions on top.  And I think she usually put this in the broiler, so it wasn't so bad!

I tried to get her to cook healthier things -- she was from eastern Europe and almost every dish began with butter and onions.

One night, she was making breaded veal and showed me how she was putting it in the oven instead of frying it in a pan so it would be healthier.  I had to ask her though, "what is that you're spooning on top of each piece of breaded veal?!"

She said, "oh, that's just some chicken fat!"    ;D

But, she could make a mean goulash!!!

jpcher

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 12:30:09 PM »
If you're a fan of lemon and green beans, this is a recipe that Cicero posted on a thread of mine several years back and I still use it. It is easy and delicious. Can be made the day before, served cold.

*green bean - the easiest summer dish is to lightly steam/blanch them and then pour over a homemade herb vinaigrette and let it chill.

Do you have a recipe for vinaigrette that would go with the beans? (What herbs to add?) I'm really liking this idea . . . I can add slivered almonds and dried cranberries.

sorry, i'm not a 'follow-a-recipe' kind of cook. i just mix olive oil and lemon juice (or use vinegar or part vinegar part lemon, approx 2 parts oil to 1 part lemon/vinegar), pinch of sugar or honey and then get creative - add a little mustard and/or garlic, salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you like - i usually add thyme and /or oregano, but to keep with the thanksgiving theme, i'm wondering if sage might work also (just a bit ). taste it - dip a little piece of cucumber or celery and see if it's tasty/not too tart/just enough bite.

Use fresh green beans, cut of the ends and cut the beans in half. Blanch them (bring a pot of water to a hard boil, add the beans and boil for about 3-4 minutes then throw them in a bath of ice water).

For the dressing I use 1 part olive oil and 1-1/2 part lemon juice (depending on how much you like lemons), 1-2 cloves finely chopped garlic and a splash or two of sage (yes, I use Cicero's taste-test method for spices ;))

Make this the day before or the morning of (marinate for at least 4 hours) and then when serving add slivered almonds.

The beans are crisp and lightly lemony. The almonds add an extra crisp.

cicero

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 01:12:29 PM »
If you're a fan of lemon and green beans, this is a recipe that Cicero posted on a thread of mine several years back and I still use it. It is easy and delicious. Can be made the day before, served cold.

*green bean - the easiest summer dish is to lightly steam/blanch them and then pour over a homemade herb vinaigrette and let it chill.

Do you have a recipe for vinaigrette that would go with the beans? (What herbs to add?) I'm really liking this idea . . . I can add slivered almonds and dried cranberries.

sorry, i'm not a 'follow-a-recipe' kind of cook. i just mix olive oil and lemon juice (or use vinegar or part vinegar part lemon, approx 2 parts oil to 1 part lemon/vinegar), pinch of sugar or honey and then get creative - add a little mustard and/or garlic, salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you like - i usually add thyme and /or oregano, but to keep with the thanksgiving theme, i'm wondering if sage might work also (just a bit ). taste it - dip a little piece of cucumber or celery and see if it's tasty/not too tart/just enough bite.

Use fresh green beans, cut of the ends and cut the beans in half. Blanch them (bring a pot of water to a hard boil, add the beans and boil for about 3-4 minutes then throw them in a bath of ice water).

For the dressing I use 1 part olive oil and 1-1/2 part lemon juice (depending on how much you like lemons), 1-2 cloves finely chopped garlic and a splash or two of sage (yes, I use Cicero's taste-test method for spices ;))

Make this the day before or the morning of (marinate for at least 4 hours) and then when serving add slivered almonds.

The beans are crisp and lightly lemony. The almonds add an extra crisp.

i completely forgot about this - i was actually thinking of this recipe: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=34925.msg804806#msg804806 I see that i originally posted it in 2008! I use canned tomatoes sometimes instead of fresh and i started to add some fresh herbs as well (basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, etc)

This is a green bean stew that i make a lot - i posted it on the cookbook project

Leah S's Green Bean Stew
====================

Leah is a friend that i "met" on a foodie forum in israel, and then actually met in person a few times.

1/2 kilo (1 pound) green beans (works with yellow too, also with the very flat green beans - i don't know what they are called, can use frozen but i prefer fresh)
2 sliced tomatoes
1/3 cup oil (i used olive, but can use whatever, and can use less than 1/3 cup)
salt, black pepper
a few garlic cloves (can use more than a few!)

layer in a wide pan with cover: beans, tomatoes, sprinkled each layer with salt, pepper, garlic. pour oil over all. cook covered for 40 minutes, low flame, without stirring.

i added: 1-2 onions, peeled and sliced. pour small amount of oil in pan, layer onion on bottom, then contineu as above.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools