News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 27, 2015, 10:50:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hot sauce uses  (Read 331 times)

Golden Phoenix

• Firebird
    • Matt's Menu
Hot sauce uses
« on: February 20, 2015, 04:23:27 AM »
About a week ago we got a whole load of scotch bonnet chillies on offer from the supermarket. Because hubby is a spice hound I decided to try making my first ever batch of hot sauce.

It came out *perfect* it's really hot, but also really flavourful and strangely fruity. We're in love with it.

But...I also ended up making about two pints of the stuff. Now I know that it should be nicely preserved, what with the vinegar and sugar, and that it will improve with age, but I need some ideas for things to use it in, other than sprinkling it on to other foods.

So far some has gone into a chilli and some was used in some corn to give it more kick as a side dish for chicken. Any other suggestions?

We've used maybe a tablespoon so far of the two pints and we've been using it a lot! This stuff has serious heat. Next time I'm getting Dorset Naga. (Aka bhut jolokia or ghost peppers)

Nikko-chan

Re: Hot sauce uses
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 04:31:34 AM »
Perhaps use a bit of it as a background flavor in a homemade chicken wing sauce? I don't have a recipe but the other ehellions will be able to help you there, I am sure!

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:07:41 AM »
Share your recipe, Golden Phoenix, please?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 05:44:41 AM »
Male it into a nice dip with mayoand sour cream, that will help with the heat.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 05:48:02 AM »
Katana_Geldar gave me another idea! Mix a dash into mayo for a spicy mayo for sandiwiches or burgers, mix into sour cream as a spicy topping for tacos.

Golden Phoenix

• Firebird
    • Matt's Menu
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
Oooh, i can't have mayo or soured cream but i can have natural yogurt, that'd make a fab dip for crudites!

The recipe is crazily simple, but do make sure you do it in a ventilated area as the cooking peppers can put off some really noxious fumes!

I got the recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scotch-bonnet-hot-sauce/

You will need:

1tsp Vegetable oil
18 fresh scotch bonnet peppers (or others of your choice) sliced
6 fresh jalapeno peppers (I substituted birds eye peppers, because those were what i had) sliced
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 cup minced onion
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1/4 cup white vinegar
2tbsp white sugar

Put the oil, peppers, garlic, onion and salt into a non-reactive pan and cook for 5 minutes.

Add the water and simmer on a medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the ingredients are soft.

Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Add the vinegar and sugar and blend until smooth. Keep refrigerated.

-

It should age nicely and be even better in 1-2 months. My first batch i used a  bigger pan and cooked it longer, this made  thicker but still tasty sauce. my 2nd batch was much thinner, more like a true hot sauce.

In batch 1 i took out the white membrane and seeds from the chillies, and despite being more concentrated it packs less punch than batch 2 which had everything in.

Feel free to play around with proportions of garlic/onion and types of sugar etc. I'm going to try brown sugar in another batch for a different flavour, honey and maple syrup may also make an appearance.

I'm also thinking of adding some fruit to a batch, such as mangoes, to make a sweet and spicy sauce.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »
Thank you! We have a freezer full of home grown chillies - tiny red ones that make your eardrums sweat, they're so strong. I might have a try at this too.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 06:39:10 PM »
Bloody Mary's  ;)

greencat

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 07:12:05 PM »
Add it to some strawberries or peaches or other fruit and make hot preserves/jam/jelly.
Use it on ice cream.
If you can have cheese, it will make a great spicy cheese sauce.
Pack it into tiny bottles (like this: http://www.specialtybottle.com/woozy17ozroundglassbottlewcap.aspx) and give it away to spice-loving friends.
Meatballs.
Omelettes.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »
I add a tablespoon or two to a pint of buttermilk and use it to marinate chicken. I put the chicken in the fridge overnight then roll it in Panko. I then bake it. Easy chicken tenders.

jmarvellous

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »
I add sriracha to broth -- a good hot sauce would be equally welcome -- as opposed to black or other dried pepper, because it integrates better in soup.

I love hot sauce on popcorn, but not so much that it gets sticky. If you pop it on the stove, you can add it when you add the kernels, or just after you shake it from the pot to the serving bowl.

I agree with mixing it with something creamy or light. Adding it to softened cream cheese and mixing well is a treat.

A drop or two on a plain sandwich or burger (or one with complimentary condiments--I do both hot sauce and spicy mustard together, but  I might be a loon).

Add to curries or stir-fries.

Spicy garlic mashed potatoes are so good!

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »

I like a bit of hot-sauce added to stewed dishes or soups - it adds a lot of flavour.  You can also use it as a base for your own barbecue sauce. I always make BBQ sauce from scratch, and you can adjust the flavours to get what you like - a sweetish tomato and molasses based one, or a sharp mustard based one, for example.

You could experiment with spicy fruit compotes. I'd be tempted to try something with, say, apples and peaches and onion and hot sauce, with other spices matched to the flavours.  You can eat them as a side dish (they go really well with roast meat), or spread on bread.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 04:31:25 AM »
mix it with or drizzle over neutral/plain carbs like couscous, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, plain rice, etc.

use as part of a chicken marinade.

spread on bread for spicy sandwiches (depending on how hot it is - maybe mix with some ketchup or tomato paste)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sweetonsno

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:58:57 PM »
I made ghost chili hot sauce awhile back. It's good. (I also turned some into hot vodka. I am spicy. Hear me roar.)

Here are some ways to use it:
Added a spoonful or two to mild/medium salsa or enchilada sauce to give it kick
Bloody (Murder) Marys
BBQ sauce
Spicy-sweet glaze (good with peaches/apricots/nectarines or mangoes... plays very nicely with the fruit)
Depending on the other ingredients in the sauce, it might work in a curry