Author Topic: Gluten free cake/desserts  (Read 153 times)

*new*mommyagain36

Gluten free cake/desserts
« on: Yesterday at 09:02:57 AM »
I am having a dessert buffet birthday party for DD.  I am having the usual bday cake and ice cream (possibly a make-your-own-sundae bar) and I'm thinking of having brownies, cookies, rice krispy treats - plain and peanut butter, fresh fruit tray and apples with caramel dip, nuts and mints.  Possibly gingerbread with lemon sauce, not sure on that yet.  I am looking for some gluten free dessert/sweets recipes to offer my brother.  Specifically I would like a cake recipe so I could make a small yellow or white cake to decorate to match the main birthday cake but I would also love to have a few brownie/cookie/dessert type items so he has a few options. As my brother is the only guest attending who requires gluten free items smaller yield recipes would be greatly appreciated.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Alicia

Re: Gluten free cake/desserts
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:10:32 AM »
Rice crispy treats and ice cream already come in gluten free.
I'd add some candy as well.
Then brother has several choices and others will still like them.

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:23:13 AM »
American sponge cake (Joy of Baking recipe) works absolutely fine with a good gluten-free flour (I use Dove's Farm).

Look for cake recipes that use shipped egg white for structure, rather than relying on the bubbles formed by the flour. Chiffon cakes also work well -- I increase the baking powder by about 1/2 a teaspoon. Another option is to use ground almonds in place of flour -- again, a whipped egg white-based cake will work better.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:51:21 AM »
Rice crispy treats and ice cream already come in gluten free.
I'd add some candy as well.
Then brother has several choices and others will still like them.

Regular rice krispy treats are not gluten free.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:52:31 AM »
I am having a dessert buffet birthday party for DD.  I am having the usual bday cake and ice cream (possibly a make-your-own-sundae bar) and I'm thinking of having brownies, cookies, rice krispy treats - plain and peanut butter, fresh fruit tray and apples with caramel dip, nuts and mints.  Possibly gingerbread with lemon sauce, not sure on that yet.  I am looking for some gluten free dessert/sweets recipes to offer my brother.  Specifically I would like a cake recipe so I could make a small yellow or white cake to decorate to match the main birthday cake but I would also love to have a few brownie/cookie/dessert type items so he has a few options. As my brother is the only guest attending who requires gluten free items smaller yield recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Betty crocker Gluten free cake mix is good.  They're really, really good (and you can't tell they're gluten free) if you mix in a box of instant pudding.  Add an extra egg & a bit more oil, I think it is, and it's delicious.  :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 03:20:50 PM »
I've done a little bit of gluten free baking.  I find moist cakes, like banana and carrot, do very well using gluten free flours (I use a GF all purpose mixture) and 1 tsp of Xanthan gum per cup of flour.  I've made GF cookies with the same flour and 1/2 tsp/cup of XG.

I used to have a GF brownie recipe but I lost it and I'm kicking myself.  They were excellent but they didn't store well.  You had to eat them all within a couple of days or they'd get hard as a rock, even in good quality tupperware.

Rice crispies are not GF unless you specifically buy a brand that is.  They have barley, I think it is, in them which makes them not gluten free.

Your easiest bet is probably Morrigan's suggestion of the Betty Crocker GF mix.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Frog24

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:36:12 PM »
Alton Brown's no bake chocolate pie.  To die for good!  You'll need a gluten-free pie crust, or let it harden, and scoop it into little balls like truffles.

I found the original recipe far too sweet, so I modified it to this:

10 oz semi-sweet chocolate  (original recipe said 13 oz of semi-sweet, and no unsweetened chocolate)
3 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/3 c liqueur (coffee, orange) or 1/3 c strongly brewed coffee
1/ txp vanilla
1 lb silken tofu
1 tbsp honey

1.Mix chocolate and liqueur and melt over double boiler, stirring constantly.
2.Remove from heat and stir in vanilla
3.Combine tofu, honey and chocolate in blender until smooth and combined.
4.Pour into pie crust, or chill then scoop into bon bon paper cups.
5.Refrigerate until firm.

The texture is so smooth, and chocolatey.... and just good.  (And on one will know there's soy in there)  ;)

Mergatroyd

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 05:39:58 PM »

Betty crocker Gluten free cake mix is good.  They're really, really good (and you can't tell they're gluten free) if you mix in a box of instant pudding.  Add an extra egg & a bit more oil, I think it is, and it's delicious.  :)

Pod here. The BC gluten free cake mix is the best one I've tried, and there isn't any leftover flour to store. It looks, tastes, and rises like real cake. A bit of icing on top and yum!

Rice krispies are not gluten free, unless you make them with the special GF brown rice rice krispies. The regular white ones have barley on the ingredients list- barley has gluten.

You can add spices to the cake mix, carrots/apples/pumpkin/bananas, it always turns out.

Alicia

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:06:10 PM »
Sorry to clarify. For gluten free rice crispy treats I use Arrowhead mills rice crispies. Then you make the normal way and are gluten free and the same as what everyone else is eating. I find that for gluten folk it is easiest and least obvious to just serve things that don't depend on gluten as an ingredient.  Regular cake depends on gluten to make the crumb so no substitute ever tastes as good to me.

Also fruit kabobs are always delicious too

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:19:23 PM »
Fruit kabobs with either cream cheese dip or chocolate dip are a go to. i found GF graham crackers so DH can have s'mores.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:34:34 PM »
As long as almonds are cool, Macarons always look fancy.

https://www.howtocookthat.net/public_html/easy-macaron-macaroon-recipe/
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas