News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 04, 2016, 03:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reducing my red meat, need ideas  (Read 854 times)

Chip2

Re: Reducing my red meat, need ideas
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 12:16:59 PM »
I cut cow out of my diet years ago but still get an occasional craving for red meat. When that happens I tend to go with bison (lower in cholesterol and overall leaner than beef, but close enough in flavor that you can sub it in). I'll also occasionally have lamb, and have tried goat and elk, but these are pretty expensive.

Turkey burgers are good, too!

mandycorn

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 12:51:39 PM »
I like to make bean soups (black bean and 12 bean are both popular at my house) and serve them over rice - filling and a decent source of protein, plus great as a repeat meal. I'm not a vegetarian, so I make them with chicken stock/broth, but if you're watching the sodium content, I would imagine you could substitute water for stock fairly easily.

I also make a bean-only taco filling - I google for a taco mix recipe that looks good and matches the ingredients I have in my pantry, and then instead of making it with ground beef, I just use an equal amount of canned beans.

My mom does something similar when she makes chili - she replaces half the recommended quantity of ground beef with an equal amount of kidney beans (I know it breaks the no beans in the chili rule, but it tastes good!)

I also eat a lot of breakfast for dinner (but it doesn't leave good leftovers) - things like omelets and scrambled eggs, especially served with hash-browns, tend to be filling and meat-free.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »
Make chili with ground turkey or chicken instead of beef.

Just sub chicken in your beef stew.

Grilled chicken, fish, seafood of your choice with mixed vegetables.

I'm a huge fan of chicken curry and stir fry  as well.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Addy

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 07:10:27 PM »
I am going to throw my favourite chili recipe in here. It's vegetarian, but the quinoa ups the protein content.

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/vegetarian-quinoa-chili/

sweetonsno

• Grammando and Cupcake Lady
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »
I am going to throw my favourite chili recipe in here. It's vegetarian, but the quinoa ups the protein content.

That looks ultra yummy! I have used quinoa in place of ground beef/sausage in a couple of different recipes. It obviously isn't meat (spoiler alert!), but the texture is nice.
You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.

Addy

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 01:36:58 AM »

That looks ultra yummy! I have used quinoa in place of ground beef/sausage in a couple of different recipes. It obviously isn't meat (spoiler alert!), but the texture is nice.

It is ultra yummy! It's chock full of veggies and the quinoa does give it a really nice thick texture. I serve it over rice with sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese and chopped cilantro.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »
I don't have any recipes, but Google Ottolenghi. He uses spices in interesting ways which make his dishes delicious. He hails from London, but was born in Israel.

Victoria

Phoebelion

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 07:42:53 PM »
WE have cut red meat totally out our diet.  It's been so long that the last time he sneaked a burger, he took one bite and threw it out.  Said it tasted spoiled.

To solve his craving fro brats, Italian sausage and breakfast sausage I make them out of ground turkey 5 pounds at a time.  After all, it's all in the spices.  And you adjust the recipe to your own particular taste.  I always add extra fennel to the Italian sausage.  And the texture isn't that different.  I roll some like sausage, and the rest in patties for soups, pasta sauce and homemade pizza.

You may want to try that.

cicero

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 02:49:13 AM »
I've made these turkey burgers http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2013/06/turkey-burgers/ by tori avey (check out her blog,  she has lots of chicken and vegetarian main dish idea.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 11:32:16 AM »
You could make a big pot of Beaufort Stew to eat during the week. It's delicious and very, very simple. For those not familiar with it, it's a stew made up of shrimp, sausage (like a Hillshire Farms smoked sausage), baby ears of corn and red potatoes. Usually it's served with the shrimp shells still on, but for convenience you could peel them first so you don't have to fool with them during the week.

Or maybe a chicken bog/perlo. It's a basic chicken and rice recipe and again, very easy.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 08:38:25 PM »
Try some cajun recipes (Paul Prudhomme's book is good.) Lots of chicken and other alternatives. A big pot of red beans and rice can be good for several meals, as can jambalaya. Mrs.k2002 will make a chicken (or duck) gumbo that's good for a few days as well.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.