News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 05, 2015, 05:52:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheesecake Recipe for 6-7 Inch Springform Pan  (Read 362 times)

Shabooty

Cheesecake Recipe for 6-7 Inch Springform Pan
« on: July 30, 2015, 08:18:55 AM »
I'm looking for a cheesecake recipe for a 6-7 inch springform pan.  My tried and true recipe calls for a 10 inch pan and I'm not comfortable cutting it in half for several reasons.  e.g., can't halve odd number of eggs in recipe, cooking times/temps will need to be different.

I want to bake a small one for my husband's birthday.  He loves my big version, but prefers I not make it because he'll eat it all.   :)

ITSJUSTME

Re: Cheesecake Recipe for 6-7 Inch Springform Pan
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »
My recipe for the larger pan uses three package of cream cheese (8 oz each) - for the smaller pan I just use two packages and adjust the rest of the ingredients by a third.

For each package of cream cheese:
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Optional, lemon zest or other citrus zest, chocolate chips, a dribble of amaretto or rum.

mstigerlily

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »
try doing 2/3 of the recipe (dividing by three and multiplying the result or just use a calculator 8)).

Hint: it is very easy to actually divide an egg. If you are using a large egg, the average assumed weight of the egg is about 1.6 ounces (US weight ounces- don't know the grams). The white is about 1 ounce, the yolk about .6 ounce. To divide the egg by half, break the egg, stir it up with a fork or whisk until the egg is completely blended (no big chunks or streaks of whites), then weigh out .8 ounce.

You can also use the same recipe, without alteration, but you'd have a taller cake and will need to cook it carefully to ensure the middle cooks evenly.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:13:52 PM »
Or you can make your 10in recipe and use the leftover batter for cheesecake cupcakes
Maryland

Shabooty

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:18:47 PM »
Thank you for all of the suggestions!  I will definitely remember the information on how to halve an egg.  :)  I have a feeling, though, that the bake time will be more complicated than simply cutting it in half or thirds.  Also, the recipe I traditionally use involves starting at one temp for a set amount of time and then reducing it for the remainder.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:02:28 PM »
Thank you for all of the suggestions!  I will definitely remember the information on how to halve an egg.  :)  I have a feeling, though, that the bake time will be more complicated than simply cutting it in half or thirds.  Also, the recipe I traditionally use involves starting at one temp for a set amount of time and then reducing it for the remainder.

The bake time should be cut down by 1/3 for both the high temperature and the lower temperature. 
Maryland

Chip2

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »
For a cheesecake (or other custard) you can usually safely halve an egg by only using the yolk. This will add a bit of richness but shouldn't affect the final product. (It actually might help the cake set.)

As far as cooking time goes you're better off undercooking the cake then letting it bake for an additional few minutes at a time, although that does require frequent checks. I combine that with Alton Brown's method of turning off the oven and letting the cheesecake coast to doneness. I'll give the pan a gentle shake and see if the cheesecake wobbles; if it does I wait five minutes then repeat the process. The cheesecake comes out when it doesn't or just barely wobbles.

doodlemor

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »
The formula to find the area of a circle is pi times the radius squared.  I use this to change recipes to fit different pan sizes all the time. 

For example:

The radius of a 10 inch round pan is 5 inches.  Square this, and get 25 square inches.  Multiply this by pi, 3.14 and get 78.5 square inches.

The radius of a 6 inch round pan is 3 inches.  Square this, and get 9 square inches.  Multiply this by 3.14 and get 28.3 square inches.

Now, compare the two areas.  The 6 inch round is about 1/3 the size of the 10 inch pan, so you could probably make 1/3 of the recipe to fit it.  As for the baking times and temperature, I think that you could google up "6 inch cheesecake recipe" and get a good idea from looking at similar recipes how to bake the thing. 

I've done the mixing-up-the-egg-in-a-cup thing for years, and generally just eyeball the thing and dump some of it down the sink.  Perhaps precision would be better, but I don't measure the eggs.

Generally I increase my 9 inch pan recipes to the 10 inch springform pan, especially during the holidays, by increasing the 9 inch pan recipe by 1/4.  Leftover cake is not a problem for us.