News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 29, 2016, 08:24:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tried and true vegan cheese recipes.  (Read 195 times)

Nikko-chan

Tried and true vegan cheese recipes.
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »
So a friend of mine recently decided to stop eating cheese due to medical issues and is missing it... terribly. She is trying to make her own cheese substitutes but hasn't been successful.

So I turn to you, ehellions!

Have you made any vegan cheese recipes that were successful and tasted close to the real thing? I really need your help on this one!

Really?

Re: Tried and true vegan cheese recipes.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 09:11:44 PM »
I have used Daiya lactose free cheese products. I like the consistency of the cream cheese type spread.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:19:37 PM »
I make nacho "cheese" with almond milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, and spices (onion powder, garlic, cumin and chili powder). The ratio is sort of freelance, but I started with the Happy Herbivore recipe, which is googleable. Cook,  whisking regularly, until thickened.
Add salsa  or chilies and tomatoes for texture if desired.

It's pretty darn good as a dip!

Alicia

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 09:22:25 PM »
Depends on why she stopped eating cheese if lactose intolerant hard ages cheese like parmesean are lactose freee. Of some other reason like fat or other milk alergy then other options needed

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
Depends on why she stopped eating cheese if lactose intolerant hard ages cheese like parmesean are lactose freee. Of some other reason like fat or other milk alergy then other options needed

I don't really know all the specifics but I know she quite literally cannot eat cheese anymore. even parm would probably hurt her

blarg314

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 07:50:00 PM »

I think you can reproduce something like a cream cheese spread or dip not too badly with things like nuts and tofu, and some of the commercial vegan cheese subs work reasonably well as a substitute for processed cheese slices. If you look at reviews it sounds like there are a few vegan cheese substitutes out there that aren't horrible.

But if she's missing something like aged cheddar, or ripe brie, or blue cheese, it's going to be a lot harder.

I took a quick look at vegan cheese recipes out there. The simpler ones involve typically involve things like ground nuts, or coconut butter, plus seasonings like lemon juice, garlic, salt, and structural ingredients like agar-agar or gelatin.  I suspect these will give you something that will fit in the cheese place in sandwiches, dips and pizza, but doesn't really taste much like an actual good cheese. If I were going to experiment, I'd go more for those recipes that involve things like miso, nutritional yeast, liquid smoke, some sort of fermenting process, aging, or bacterial culture - that's more likely to give you that hit of umami that good cheese has.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 08:25:09 PM »
Hey guys, for all of the vegans on the site (or non vegans who like vegan cheeses) look! Look at what i found! http://miyokoskitchen.com/products-miyoko/

sweetonsno

• Grammando and Cupcake Lady
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 01:05:41 AM »
I recommend The Uncheese Cookbook (by Jo) Stepaniak. Veg News also had a cheese issue; it might be possible to get a back copy. Speaking of Veg News, here's their list of vegan cheese brands: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4368&catId=2

When it comes to making your own and buying, it's important to remember that it won't be the same and may not even be all that similar. Many (but not all) of the non-dairy-based cheeses that have a more realistic texture get it from casein, which is probably a no-go for her. I suggest taking a couple of weeks or a month off of eating cheese before giving it a whirl.

In the meantime, us other fatty, savory, salty things. Hummus is great on sandwiches, and if you put enough of everything else on, you won't really miss it too much on the nachos.
You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.