News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 25, 2015, 11:56:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: would you do this? bbq pulled pork in enchiladas?  (Read 241 times)

Zizi-K

would you do this? bbq pulled pork in enchiladas?
« on: May 21, 2015, 02:44:16 PM »
I made some bbq pulled pork in my slow cooker recently. Basically, the pork gets cooked for hours and hours with onions and garlic and a bit of chicken stock. When it's falling apart done, it was shredded and then mixed with some spicy bbq sauce -- not a ton, so the flavor is not over-the-top bbq and it is not really saucy.

DH and I are a bit sick of eating now, and I was thinking about making enchiladas with them. Nothing fancy, but I have corn tortillas already, and all I'd need to buy is a jar of enchilada sauce and some cheese.

Does that sound good, or do you think the flavor of the bbq and the enchilada sauce would be too conflicting?

If so, what else can I do with this pork? I could just freeze it, of course.

QueenfaninCA

Re: would you do this? bbq pulled pork in enchiladas?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »
I'd freeze it. Same food more than two days in a row (unless it's really well hidden in something else) is way too boring.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 02:51:29 PM »
I'd probably freeze it, too.  I don't know that the bbq + enchilada sauce would be that great. 

Next time, don't mix all of the pork with the bbq sauce and you could definitely use the unsauced pork in the enchiladas.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
I disagree. I think it would be fine with enchilada sauce. I suspect the flavors would complement each other.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Betelnut

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
I would make enchiladas or tacos but let the BBQ sauce BE the sauce.  I might add some sour cream and cheese.  YUM.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
I would not mix BBQ sauce and enchilada sauce. That just doesn't sound yummy to me.   But I agree with the idea of making the enchiladas with just the BBQ pork.  If you need more moisture for them to cook, maybe try more BBQ sauce on top?
Not such a newbie anymore

Zizi-K

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 05:10:43 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't have any more bbq sauce, and I tend not to care for it in large quantities. The pork I do have is more "moistened" with it rather than "sauced" if that makes sense. I don't think I could quite handle it, with bbq sauce instead of enchilada sauce.

in any case, the decision has been made for me - the pork is going into the freezer. DH has been recuperating for the past week from a minor surgery (though, wow, you can really be taken out of commission even when it is "minor), he's going stir-crazy, and really wants to get out of the house for dinner.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

POF

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 05:25:27 PM »
I do this all the time ..... in fact I just froze a bunch of pulled pork.  I also use it to top burgers, fill omelets.  I use it in burritos -  never have a problem with the BBQ sauce fitting in

greencat

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 05:31:36 PM »
Enchilada sauce will probably drown the very minimal bbq sauce that you described right out.  I say go for it!

Lynnv

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 07:14:58 PM »
I think it sounds like it would probably be quite tasty as well.  But if you weren't sure (and if the decision hadn't already been made), I would have suggested opening the enchilada sauce and trying a small amount on a bite or two of the pork to see how they got along.  If it worked (and I think it would, personally)-yay!  If it didn't, then you could just refrigerate the enchilada sauce and make enchiladas in the next day or two with other ingredients (before the sauce goes moldy/bad/off).
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein