Author Topic: Need to make a substitution to make a dish vegetarian - any suggestion  (Read 143 times)

POF

I have 3 vegetarians in our family ( a niece and 2 gals who are marrying my nephews ).  I am trying out a few things for XMAS dinner and I have a question abut substitution. ( Note - while not vegetarians - other family members like my veggie dishes and eat them as well )

I have a really delicious recipe I've tweaked for a stuffed pumpkin.  I am planning to make in in a casserole dish for XMAS.  It uses brown rice, ground turkey, apples, dried cherries, cream, sherry and other spices as well as cooked winter squash.  So obviously I would need to sub out the ground turkey.  I do not like and won't make fake meat, but I was thinking that the ground turkey - which adds texture and bulk could be subbed out with  bulgur wheat. ( I do this with chili a lot or other ground beef dishes ).  I was afraid that would be too similar to the rice though.  I was thinking about chopped mushrooms but was afraid they would get slimy or turn the dish an off color. 

Any suggestions ?

camlan

• Super Hero!
Lentils?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Kaymar

Mushrooms are always good, as are lentils or chickpeas.  Sounds delicious!

POF

See -  I knew you folks were good - did not even think of lentils. I'll play around with it a bit.  I'd post it - but I sort of make it up every time ......

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Could you maybe use ground walnuts?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

purple

I would say chick peas could be nice.
You could always just leave out the turkey and use more squash as well.

Dazi

• like the flower
With the flavor combo already present, I'd personally either add roughly chopped pecans or walnuts. Lentils would be my next choice.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

POF

With the flavor combo already present, I'd personally either add roughly chopped pecans or walnuts. Lentils would be my next choice.

Yes - that's the answer. Thanks - they will give it some crunch and a meaty texture.  !

Dazi

• like the flower
Glad I  could be of assistance   ;D

I'm really good at figuring out substitutions.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

cicero

• Super Hero!

Yes - that's the answer. Thanks - they will give it some crunch and a meaty texture.  !
I would also probably add pecans.

Is this supposed to be a side dish for all or main dish for vegetarians? for the former, i would just omit the turkey and not make any substitutions - the filling sounds deslish on its own. for the latter, then i would add nuts and/or cooked black beans for added protein/oomph/color.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

POF

I would also probably add pecans.

Is this supposed to be a side dish for all or main dish for vegetarians? for the former, i would just omit the turkey and not make any substitutions - the filling sounds deslish on its own. for the latter, then i would add nuts and/or cooked black beans for added protein/oomph/color.

I usually have 2 vegetarian entrees - homemade manicotti - which everyone eats and then a second veggie option... I usually do a vegetable lasagna or a vegetarian version of chicken marsala. I was thinking of stuffing small japanese pumpkins with his - but decided to bake it in a casserole and use cubed butternut.  The dish also has cheese in it - so it is nice and rich.