News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here:   

• November 27, 2015, 08:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternatives to roasting a whole turkey  (Read 105 times)

• The Delian's Commonwealth
Alternatives to roasting a whole turkey
« on: Yesterday at 02:00:47 PM »
As many people can attest, roasting a whole turkey can be a serious pain. Getting it to come out where the legs/thighs are done and the breast meat is overdone is only one of the problems. There are many techniques to address this, like brining. I wanted to share a couple of things that we're doing and solicit other ideas.

For the main T-giving meal today, we're going over to my ex's and we're bringing a smoked turkey. I believe Mrs.k2002 got that one from Williams Sonoma, but there are other sources. We've done this before. The turkey just needs to be heated and some stuffing cooked. When visiting some in-laws the last couple of years, we've had deep-fried turkey. Tastes great and is tender, but an open flame and that much oil makes me very nervous.

For ourselves, Mrs.k2002 got a small-ish (11lb) turkey and cut it up. She roasted just the breast over some stuffing in a small roasting pan. She had  dry-brined the breast and rubbed it with seasonings and it came out very moist and tender. She'll probably cut back on the dry-brining next time because the turkey came out a tad salty -- nothing bad, just noticeable. One nice thing is that this took a lot less time to cook. (2 hours, I believe.)

The next day, she braised the thighs in red wine (after dry-brining them as well.) Again, very tender.

The carcass, wings, and legs went into a pot with some vegetables, salt, and pepper and got turned into 18 cups of turkey broth.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Alternatives to roasting a whole turkey
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:29:51 PM »
You can just get a turkey breast to roast.  I'm also a fan of cornish hens or quails

I don't like dry brining because I think it comes out too salty and it's hard to adjust the levels of salt/seasonings.  I prefer wet brining because the salt is more diluted in the mix and it's easier to adjust. 

Re: Alternatives to roasting a whole turkey
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:41:54 AM »
If you can get a butcher to bone the turkey for you, cooking it is a breeze.  You put slices of streaky bacon onto the flat meat, pile sausagemeat or another stuffing (I use two) in the middle, and roll it back into a parcel.  It takes a lot less time to cook than a bird with the bones in, and is a doddle to carve.

Another possibility is what my father did one New Year's Day: barbecued it.  He had one of those domed barbecues like a giant drum, and put the turkey into it early in the morning (it was snowing), and just left it to itself all day.  It was excellent.  I don't actually have details for thatólike, was it wrapped in foil and covered with butter, which sounds like a good idea, but if you have the right kind of barbecue, you could investigate.