News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 31, 2015, 10:51:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Autumn/Halloween themed food for grown-ups? Update post#15  (Read 415 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: Autumn/Halloween themed food for grown-ups?
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:59:08 PM »
Thank you so much everyone for all the cool and delicious ideas.

So far I've got the following menu:

- Stuffed Mushrooms
- My own recipe for spinach quiche, baked in a mini muffin tray
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Apple Crisp Bars

So I have 2 fruit/sweet and 2 veggie/savory, all "finger food" and easy to munch on.

I think I will take PPs advice and have mulled apple cider.

How does it sound?
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

jmarvellous

Re: Autumn/Halloween themed food for grown-ups? Update post#15
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 06:29:48 PM »
Good menu! I would add one more savory, something less seasoned. Crackers or chips or bread and a dip or spread. Something people who are prone to eating a lot even at nibbles parties can fill up on. Quiche can get pretty expensive.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 06:43:13 PM »
Good menu! I would add one more savory, something less seasoned. Crackers or chips or bread and a dip or spread. Something people who are prone to eating a lot even at nibbles parties can fill up on. Quiche can get pretty expensive.

Good point. I will have chips and dip and was planning on having veggies and hummus.

Unless you factor in the latest rise in egg prices, I don't find quiche to be especially expensive to make. My recipe calls for spices I already have, and I usually have the other ingredients on hand anyway (eggs, cheese, and cottage cheese).
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

mmswm

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 09:14:22 PM »
Mummy Man is a hit for all ages at my house. Get two packages of port wine cheese. Cut one into quarters and then cut about a quarter out of the other one. Shape the big chunk in a torso like shape. Use the five small ones to make a head, arms and legs. It doesn't have to be perfect. think stick figure. Next soften about a half a block of cream cheese. Mix it up with a couple teaspoons of milk and put into a frosting bag with a medium flat tip. Pipe the cream cheese over the port wine cheese so it looks like mummy wrappings. You can put two peppercorns for eyes if you want to make him look "alive". Serve with crackers of your choice.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)