Author Topic: Roasted Pumpkin Puree  (Read 114 times)

Chip2

Roasted Pumpkin Puree
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
Get a few pie pumpkins (the small ones about the size of cantalopes) and cut them into quarters. Scrape out the guts and seeds (and roast the seeds if you're so inclined) then brush them with a little olive oil and roast for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Allow the pumpkin quarters to cool then scoop the flesh out and puree it. (Or mash it if you don't have a pureeing device.) Save the puree in 15 ounce (or 1 3/4 cup) increments; it'll keep in your freezer for months.

When you're ready to cook just thaw it out and use in place of canned pumpkin. It's a bit of a pain, but well worth the trouble.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Roasted Pumpkin Puree
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »
You can roast jack-o-lantern pumpkins, too.  The secret is that you have to discard any liquid that seeps out when roasting and then spoon it off again when you are thawing it to use it.  Otherwise, it can be a bit watery.

I never bother with the oil - I just cut them in half and place them cut side down on a cookie sheet.  The jack-o-lantern, I usually cut into chunks and roast it in a roast pan.  I tried it in the slow cooker one year, which worked fine, except the pumpkin flesh was really light coloured.  Made for strange looking pumpkin pies the next year (Canadian Thanksgiving is before Hallowe'en).
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Chip2

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 03:05:43 PM »
First time I served MsChip pies made made with my homemade puree she thought it was sweet potato pie. ("That's not the right color for pumpkin pie!") But now she won't eat anything pumpkin unless I make it.

The processing the canned pumpkin has to go through makes the puree that dark orange-brown color; maybe they add coloring to distinguish from sweet potatoes and yams.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »
Canned pumpkin is sometimes butternut squash.

I roast my own pumpkins too, but I freeze it in 3 cup amounts (my recipe for pie uses three cups and makes two pumpkin pies.)
If I want to make muffins or loaf instead, I just split it or double the recipe and freeze the extra baking. It never lasts long anyways.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
Canned pumpkin is sometimes butternut squash.

I roast my own pumpkins too, but I freeze it in 3 cup amounts (my recipe for pie uses three cups and makes two pumpkin pies.)
If I want to make muffins or loaf instead, I just split it or double the recipe and freeze the extra baking. It never lasts long anyways.

If that is the case, it has to be labeled butternut squash. The labeling laws require that the item in the can be listed in the ingredients.