News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 25, 2016, 09:35:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replacement for Festal Pumpkin  (Read 183 times)

TeamBhakta

Replacement for Festal Pumpkin
« on: July 19, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
I have a bit of a baking problem now. My local grocery store had cans of Festal Golden Pie Pumpkin on the discount rack. Didn't think anything about it besides "oh nice, they're marked down in price" & bought 2 cans. I made a really delicious pumpkin pie with it & it turned out so good that I went back later to buy the last 2 cans. I normally hate pumpkin pie! I was going to stock up on more, but then I found this article that Festal is being discontinued. Oh no! So I need suggestions for a different brand of pie pumpkin to start using when my stash is gone. I dislike Libby's canned pumpkin, so we can rule that brand out.

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonna_peoples_press/news/article_a1adb9ef-8813-564d-967b-63e8a776e993.html

Aunt4God

Re: Replacement for Festal Pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:29:27 PM »
Have you tried processing your own pumpkin from a pie pumpkin?  I can't stand Libbey's either, probably because it's mostly other squashes with some pumpkin in it.  It becomes way too dense imho.  I love taking a small pie pumpkin, wash the outside, and stick it in the oven whole at 350 until a fork easily punctures the outer skin.  Cut in half, scoop the innards into a food processor, then freeze bags of about 2 cups or so in each.  Makes a wonderfully light pie, even colorwise, and keeps well in the freezer.  You also then have the seeds leftover to play with different recipes for dried and flavored pumpkin seeds.

Browyn

Re: Replacement for Festal Pumpkin
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 04:18:36 PM »
Have you tried processing your own pumpkin from a pie pumpkin?  I can't stand Libbey's either, probably because it's mostly other squashes with some pumpkin in it.  It becomes way too dense imho.  I love taking a small pie pumpkin, wash the outside, and stick it in the oven whole at 350 until a fork easily punctures the outer skin.  Cut in half, scoop the innards into a food processor, then freeze bags of about 2 cups or so in each.  Makes a wonderfully light pie, even colorwise, and keeps well in the freezer.  You also then have the seeds leftover to play with different recipes for dried and flavored pumpkin seeds.

My mother used to cut the pumpkin in big chunks and then microwave it!  It would soften the pumpkin so you scoop out the insides easily.

Around here (northeast US) I usually find One-Pie works well.