News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 27, 2015, 04:17:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mulligatawny  (Read 64 times)

Cheflady

Mulligatawny
« on: Yesterday at 04:52:31 PM »
This is not a very standard recipe, I made some alterations for my own taste.  Also I am estimating measurements as I am more of a throw in a little at a time and keep tasting cook.

Mulligatawny

1 LB Red Lentils (rinsed and picked)
2 TB Chicken Base (Not necessary for vegetarians)
1 Celery Heart
1 Medium Red Onion
1 TB Coconut Oil
4 Large Garnet Yams
6 Large Green Apples
1 Bunch Cilantro
2 Jalapeno
1 Whole Bulb Garlic
2 TB Green Curry
2 tsp Fresh Thyme
t tsp Fresh Basil
2 TB Minced Ginger (I use a microplane and grate)
Cup Skinless Roasted Peanuts
2 tsp Saffron Powder
2  tsp Cardamon Powder
2 tsp Tumeric
2 TB Cumin
4 Fresh or 6 Dried Bay Leaves
I Roaster Chicken cooked  picked and pulled)
3 Cans Unsweetened Cream of Coconut  (You can always use the coconut milk from the Asian section of the grocery but cream of coconut found in the baking section has less water and more flavor.  It is usually the same price.)
Salt and Black Pepper to Taste

Finely chop the red onion and celery heart and then saute until translucent in the coconut oil.

In about 2 quarts of water (I never measure it just make sure it is a large stockpot with about 2 coverage of water over the lentils) and add chicken base.  Bring to a boil, turn down to the lowest setting on your stove and cook for about an hour.

Peel and small dice the sweet potatoes and apples.  Toss into lentils.
Add onions and celery.

I use a food processor and toss in all garlic cloves, cilantro tops, peanuts, basil,  stemmed thyme and the jalapenos (you can seed if you like but I prefer it spicy)  and buzz into a paste.  Add to lentils.  Add all spices to lentils.  Cook for about an hour on low until sweet potatoes are soft,  Stir in the coconut cream and chicken then cook for about twenty minutes.  Taste and add more spices and or salt/pepper or even cayenne to your taste.

I serve with more cilantro, chopped peanuts and jalapeno at the table in  monkey bowls so you can garnish the soup to taste.  This stew is terrific with homemade grilled naan.

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?