Author Topic: Feed a Poor College Student...  (Read 2647 times)

Elle

Re: Feed a Poor College Student...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 11:02:56 PM »
Hmmm, if you're cutting out easy mac I imagine you've done away with the staple Ramen (they're quite tasty 'raw' with the poweder on them)

You can pour milk over leftover rice and add raisins and vanilla for faux rice pudding. Tasty hot or cold.
Eggs can be cooked in a microwave (scramble them in a bowl and pop into the microwave. Make sure the bowl is covered and cleaned right away)

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 08:24:41 AM »
Couscous.  All you need to do is put boiling water on it, cover for five minutes and fork through some olive oil or butter.

Of course it is very bland so I usually jazz it up with one of more of the following:

Vegetable stock instead of water (in fact, I always use this).  I usually also put some dried thyme, marjoram or oregano in the water too.
Sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil but just dry) reconstituted in balsamic vinegar.  I chop these and mix through.  They keep submerged in vinegar for a week or more in the fridge.
Black olives, chopped in half.
A clove or two of garlic.
Crumbled feta cheese.
Halved cherry tomatoes.
Any fresh herbs around, especially basil or parsley.
Grilled vegetables such as eggplant, zucchini, capsicum or mushrooms.  Not really feasible in your situation but you could get antipasto from the deli or supermarket instead.  Caramelised onion is also nice but not likely for you.  Half a fresh salad onion would probably be nice.
Chopped avocado.

Baked potato is also possible in the microwave but not as good as the oven.  I top with beans, cottage cheese, cheddar or stilton, depending on what's around.

Oat porridge is also good made in the microwave.  I mix in sultanas and peanut butter or chopped apple and cinnamon.

RuneGuardian

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 12:11:22 AM »
Goodness, is your dorm made of paper that so many cooking devices are forbidden? I'd be getting up in someone's grill (no pun intended) if I wasn't allowed a stove or even a hot plate in the room I'm paying to live in. Speaking of grills...are things like George Foreman grills also not allowed? Maybe you could build a campfire in your living room and roast hot dogs and burgers - bet there's no policy against that   ;D

It is possible to cook ordinary pasta in a standard microwave! You might need to experiment a bit to get the timing just right, but it does work.

I never use the stove for making pasta because I've become lazy. I have found that pouring the desired amount of pasta in a microwave-safe bowl, pouring in water about an inch from the lip of the bowl and nuking it for 5-6 minutes on high does pretty well, especially with ramen.

Ulla dances in a silly way

• Super Secret Level 5 Ninja Wizard
  • Only a little off.
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 01:14:34 AM »
Goodness, is your dorm made of paper that so many cooking devices are forbidden? I'd be getting up in someone's grill (no pun intended) if I wasn't allowed a stove or even a hot plate in the room I'm paying to live in. Speaking of grills...are things like George Foreman grills also not allowed? Maybe you could build a campfire in your living room and roast hot dogs and burgers - bet there's no policy against that   ;D

I've never seen a dorm that allowed hot plates. Many do have stoves in a common room, but not all. No, no grills are allowed, even of the Foreman persuasion.

Actually, considering I'm not allowed to have any open flame (as in, no candles- even ones that are decorative are not allowed) I'm pretty sure the campfire things wouldn't go over well. Plus, the fire alarm in my room can be set off if I shower too hot or too long; I'm pretty sure an actual fire just might set it off. Or maybe not...

But, hey, if I decide to start up a bonfire in my room I'll invite you!  ;D

-Ulla