Author Topic: Care Packages  (Read 1802 times)

edenparadox

Care Packages
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »
My honorary lil sis has gone off to college. I've known her since she was 12 and take great pride in having contributed something to the person she is now. And I'm a little teary eyed.

Well the poor dear has no kitchen in her dorm and the campus food is gross. So I'd like to send her some edibles, the minor issue being that I'm in Long Island, NY and she's in Seattle, Washington.

She does have a fridge and a microwave, if that helps.

So... what can I send and how do I package it?

MrsP81

Re: Care Packages
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 10:40:32 AM »
If shipping will be a problem maybe you could just send her a gift card to the local grocery store.

edenparadox

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 10:54:19 AM »
The whole point is to send her something homemade. All she could buy at the grocery are fruit, veggies and snacks. She could get that at the school cafeterias too. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to send her a package. Even homemade cookies are better than storebought.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:04:13 PM »
I would package stuff in vacuum sealed bags if you have a vacuum sealer. Pack them in popped popcorn (if you put it in a bag inside the box she has 2 treats in one) and off it goes in the mail. Just make sure that they are dry items that do not require being kept cold.

The other thing you can do is get her a meal package from someplace like Dinners-to-go. They are just off the campus at UW (I am assuming that is where she is going) You can go there and prep meals (very tasty ones at that) and take them back with you to heat up in the microwave or a toaster-oven. They are healthy and if she has a fridge in her room she can store them in there.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 01:39:24 PM »
She has a fridge and a micro. I don't know how you can send her "homemade" you can do a few other things though.

You can make some of those "soup jars" you add whatever "dry" ingredients and spices and then put it in a jar. Then she can add water and make soup.

There's always easy mac. I LOVED easy mac when I was in school.
Ramen, cup of soup, Campbells makes some soup cups, canned tuna, basically any type of canned goods.

It might be a better idea for you to get her a college student cookbook like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-College-Cookbook-Quick-Cheap/dp/1580171265/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3189150-7172100?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190741813&sr=8-1
or a microwave cookbook like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Well-Filled-Microwave-Cookbook-No/dp/156305177X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-3189150-7172100?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190741867&sr=8-2
Or even a "cheap" cookbook like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Fast-Good-Beverly-Mills/dp/0761131760/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3189150-7172100?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190741889&sr=8-1
Then include a grocery store GC. I know there are even cookbooks that are nothing but recipes to use with ramen. I suggest going to amazon and just combining some terms you know fit her and see what comes up.

Xena_Xavier

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:06:50 PM »
If you want to send her something homemade, how about baking her some fruit loaves that will travel well and last ages (if packaged and stored properly)?  Egg-less banana bread is my favourite, and just a couple of slices buttered with marg with fill her up while she's on those night-long study jags.  Cranberry and orange breads are good, too.

If you want to give her a vitamin boost, send her some dried goji berries.  They can be found in health food shops or the health food section of your supermarket, and can be eaten like raisins.  They're also very filling.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:13:11 PM »
Before they invented the "disposable container," we used to ship cookies in Pringles potato chip cans and cleaned, rinsed out milk cartons, with lots of plastic wrap. I've sent cookies to Iraq in a zip-lock baggie inside a disposable container and they were only slightly stale. Any kind of quick bread, fruit or nut, is also good.

Chocolate is a must for college care packages. My sister used to love it when I sent M&Ms.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:15:15 PM by camlan »
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 10:16:40 PM »
I always thought cookies and 'nut breads' (mini loaves of banana nut, zuchinni nute, cherry nut) topped the list?

edenparadox

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 10:56:28 PM »
These are great ideas! Yay, I knew I could count on e-hellions!

Are specific cookie recipes better for shipping?

Xena_Xavier, do you have a good eggless banana nut bread recipe? All of mine have eggs.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 10:59:40 PM »

Xena_Xavier, do you have a good eggless banana nut bread recipe? All of mine have eggs.

I don't know if different cookies are better for shipping.  We (my family) does everything Priority Mail and 2 days isn't much.

Xena_Xavier

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 12:10:28 AM »
I found this recipe on All Recipes, and noodled around with it a bit.  I'm a vegan, so I use soy in place of regular shortening.  It makes a heavy loaf, but keeps very well and as I said before just a couple of slices can be very filling.  (It's also a super way to use up ageing bananas!)

BANANA BREAD

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup shortening (I use soy margarine)
1 cup white sugar (brown sugar can also be used)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 teaspoons your choice spices: cinammon, nutmeg, allspice (I like to mix them up)

Nuts may be added if you like, but I've never made this loaf with them.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt.  Blend in the mashed bananas. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.

edenparadox

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 12:11:54 AM »
I found this recipe on All Recipes, and noodled around with it a bit.  I'm a vegan, so I use soy in place of regular shortening.  It makes a heavy loaf, but keeps very well and as I said before just a couple of slices can be very filling.  (It's also a super way to use up ageing bananas!)

BANANA BREAD

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup shortening (I use soy margarine)
1 cup white sugar (brown sugar can also be used)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 teaspoons your choice spices: cinammon, nutmeg, allspice (I like to mix them up)

Nuts may be added if you like, but I've never made this loaf with them.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt.  Blend in the mashed bananas. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.

That looks really really yummy. Thanks!

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 12:38:26 PM »
I like sending homemade marshmallows, caramels, and cookies to my best friend.

If you want to make homemade marshmallows more interesting, stir in some freeze dried raspberries before you pour them into the pan to cool. 

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 12:50:02 PM »
I saw a show on microwave cooking,

Here is the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_33149,00.html

I tried the eggs benedict (but I toasted english muffins instead of the cornbread), awesome!  And my sis did the brownies and said they were fab.

Scroll to the bottom to get the other recipes that uses the microwave that was also with the above recipe.

NsWife

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 02:18:49 PM »

Toll house cookies ship well as do oatmeal cookies.....have had less success with peanutbutter and sugar cookies.  as soon as the cookies are cooled put them in ziplock bags, and just put the bags in a box padded with paper (use tissue or craft paper......newspaper is icky) and mail it off!